• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wechat app icon greyed out after being moved to SD card on Android 6.0.1

cyaaf

Lurker
Jan 5, 2017
Can anyone help here? Thanks in advance -
My wechat app was moved to SD card successfully through application manager. I had no problem using it until the tablet (Samsung galaxy tab e) was restarted today. The icon for wechat app is grayed out. When tapped on the icon, a message popped up saying "app is not installed. What could be causing this? How to fix it without reinstalling the wechat app since I am afraid that the chat history will be lost after reinstall.

Wechat is one of those apps that doesn't like being moved to the SD, it must be in internal storage. I assume the chat history database is still intact under /tencent/MicroMsg/ or /tencent/Weixin/ I think. If you just go reinstalling Wechat, might delete it. How you can re-import it, I don't know, will have to look into that. Can you read Chinese?

Upvote 0
Wechat is one of those apps that doesn't like being moved to the SD, it must be in internal storage. I assume the chat history database is still intact under /tencent/MicroMsg/ or /tencent/Weixin/ I think. If you just go reinstalling Wechat, might delete it. How you can re-import it, I don't know, will have to look into that. Can you read Chinese?
Yes, I can read Chinese. You are right...everything under /tencent is still intact but I am afraid of the same. Thanks for the insight.

Upvote 0
Yes, I can read Chinese. You are right...everything under /tencent is still intact but I am afraid of the same. Thanks for the insight.
Wechat itself only has options to transfer chat history to another device when it's running, like a new phone. As for actually importing an existing database, suggest you look at Chinese tech forums, and Baidu is your friend here.

I've thought about this myself, but never had to do it. Tencent keeps a record of all chat history on its servers, but doesn't make that available to end users, only law enforcement, Chinese government, etc. BTW if you need secret communication between users, Chinese IM apps are NOT the way to do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wechat itself only has options to transfer chat history to another device when it's running, like a new phone. As for actually importing an existing database, suggest you look at Chinese tech forums, and Baidu is your friend here.

I've thought about this myself, but never had to do it. Tencent keeps a record of all chat history on its servers, but doesn't make that available to end users, only law enforcement, Chinese government, etc. BTW if you need secret communication between users, Chinese IM apps are NOT the way to do it.
Thanks for your kindly reminder, Mike. I will do some research on baidu.com then.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones