• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WeChat chat migration fail. Can't connect when scan QR code.

jimmygee

Lurker
Nov 23, 2013
Hi
I'm trying to migrate my WeChat chat history from old mobile Galaxy S10 to new mobile Galaxy S21.
Tried to do backup from mobile to mobile but it fails when scanning QR code on old phone from new phone, says can't connect to the link.
Tried to backup old phone onto mobile to PC wechat app, but can't log on to PC wechat because it requires scan of QR code on PC from phone, but that also fails saying it cannot connect to the link.
Tried wechat web to do it but then when I sacan QR code on webpage, my phone responds to say my app is not compatible version and links my Android to the Apple store to get current version.
The error on the 'can't connect' responses is ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE
All devices are on same WiFi network. WeChat versions is same on both phones, current version per Play store, 7.0.21.

Located in USA.
Anyone have a fix to resolve this hangup?

Last edited:
Hi
I'm trying to migrate my WeChat chat history from old mobile Galaxy S10 to new mobile Galaxy S21.
Tried to do backup from mobile to mobile but it fails when scanning QR code on old phone from new phone, says can't connect to the link.
Tried to backup old phone onto mobile to PC wechat app, but can't log on to PC wechat because it requires scan of QR code on PC from phone, but that also fails saying it cannot connect to the link.
Tried wechat web to do it but then when I sacan QR code on webpage, my phone responds to say my app is not compatible version and links my Android to the Apple store to get current version.
The error on the 'can't connect' responses is ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE
All devices are on same WiFi network. WeChat versions is same on both phones, current version per Play store, 7.0.21.

Located in USA.
Anyone have a fix to resolve this hangup?

Wasn't Wechat banned in the USA, along with a few other Chinese apps and services?
OIP.IHY1RzsifXt6ydlEBDo0QAHaDt.jpg

You could try using a VPN to connect with the Wechat servers, see if that fixes it.

FWIW I'm in China, where Wechat comes from, and never have any problems with Wechat QRs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, WeChat apparently does NOT appear to be banned in USA. I can't speak to other China apps.

The WeChat app works in USA.
And it can be downloaded from Google Play store and Apple app store.

There might be some inhibit in the routing to the WeChat servers when the QR code is read but whatever that inhibit is, it isn't affecting other WeChat app functions such as it is not preventing the WeChat app from connecting to the WeChat servers to operate normally. The problem only happens when scanning the QR codes.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
No, WeChat apparently does NOT appear to be banned in USA. I can't speak to other China apps.

The WeChat app works in USA.
And it can be downloaded from Google Play store and Apple app store.

There might be some inhibit in the routing to the WeChat servers when the QR code is read but whatever that inhibit is
, it isn't affecting other WeChat app functions such as it is not preventing the WeChat app from connecting to the WeChat servers to operate normally. The problem only happens when scanning the QR codes.

That sounds like there might be a problem with connecting to a server Wechat uses. Suggest you do try a VPN, and if possible connect to say Hong Kong, Japan, or Taiwan.

Upvote 0
The following worked for me.
1. Log out of wechat on new phone.
2. Restart old phone
3. You may have to log back in to wechat on old phone
4. Attempt the chat Migration again and this time the QR code should show up.
5. Login to wechat on New phone
6. Use new phone to scan QR code displayed on old phone.
7. Accept the transfer and you're done!

I think the issue is that only 1 device login can be valid at a time. So you have to start the migration on old phone BEFORE logging into any other devices

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones