1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Weird charging issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MyAndroidz, Jan 9, 2013.

1. MyAndroidz

MyAndroidz Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2013
    Male
    Hi, I have this issue where my phone charges fine when I initially plug it into the charger, but when I check on my phone later it charges really slow. So one day when i was charging the nexus 4 i decided to check the battery settings and it said AC and the phone charged fine.. But when I checked after 5-10 mins the phone started charging really slow and when I checked the battery settings again it says USB. My phone charger is plugged into the wall and I'm using the charger that came with my phone. What I did find out was that when I unplugged my phone and reconnected the charger my phone charges fine all the way. Do you guys think its an issue with the charger or maybe the phone? Should I contact Google about this? Or is there a solution to my issue?

Advertisement

2. kalaster

kalaster Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 8, 2012
    I was having similar issues as well, particularly with slow charging at 10% per hour, and on top of that, my phone would never stay in sleep mode. Thought my phone was faulty. However, used a different charger, such as the one from my gnex, and ever since then its been fine. So try another charger. If that doesn't fix it, you may have a faulty phone.

3. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2009
    Male
    In my house.
    I haven't really noticed that, I leave my phone charging over night, but I have noticed that when I plug it in to my phone charger it doesn't start charging right away, regardless of how close it may already be to full.

My guess, at this point, is that it doesn't start charging from the car charger until my engine heats up (it being winter and all).

4. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    Thought it was only me!

My N4 wouldn't charge at all with some of my old chargers - basically, the connection to the USB cable isn't good. The USB cable I have on my laptop is a bit hit and miss and I have to 'prop' the cable up to get contact. The charger in my car is a bit hit and miss so sometimes I get out the car with a full battery and sometimes none.

The cable that came with the phone works fine, though.

5. raysurrx7

raysurrx7 Member
    None

May 19, 2011
    Same with me, switched to a different wall charger (iPhone) and its been charging fine.

6. MyAndroidz

MyAndroidz Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2013
    Male
    Thanks for the replies. I will try and use a different charger and see if that fixes the issue I am having.

7. andrews317

andrews317 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Honduras
    Yesterday I left my charger at work, so I left my Nexus all night with a generic charger I got for $10 (800 mA output). In 8 hours of sleep it only charged from 8% to 49%. When I got back to work, It finished charging with the original charger in an hour.

8. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert
    None

Jan 11, 2013
    It's not really very good that the N4 only charges reliably using the cable that came with it: the whole point of using micro USB is that it's a standard and anything that conforms to the standard should work with it.

The reason the EU have the standard for all phones (Apple get to be the exception for some bizarre reason) is to cut down on the number of chargers people need. I still have drawers full of chargers from old phones which is a total waste. I don't want to start collecting micro USB chargers now!

What happens if I lose or damage the cable that came with my N4? Do Google even sell replacements?

9. andrews317

andrews317 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Honduras
    They should. Maybe we should try with a higher mA charger like for example a tablet charger.

10. MyAndroidz

MyAndroidz Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2013
    Male
    I looked at my usb cable that came with my phone and it looks like one of the pins is missing. Here is a picture of it. http://i.imgur.com/zKwZZ.jpg

Does anyone else's Nexus 4 usb cable look like this??

Tags: