1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Weird email problem after 2.2 upgrade

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by guyprentice, Mar 14, 2011.

1. guyprentice

guyprentice Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    I updated my Captivate to 2.2 Saturday. I use gmail for my personal email account. Since the upgrade, when I send an email from either the EMAIL or GMAIL app, it sends whatever it wants (but not the message I intended it to send.) The email goes to the right party, but it appears to be randomly picking stuff out of my queue to send. I only figured this out once people started emailing me saying "why are you sending me this?"

So far it has sent an ad from a winery (from my inbox), a news article from NY Times that I had saved, a facebook update from one of my facebook friends and a Happy Thanksgiving text I received four months ago. It does not send the message I entered at all.

I didn't have any email problems with 2.1 - Is anyone else having this problem or know of a fix?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Welcome to the forums, guyprentice. Sorry the Froyo update seems to have caused an email issue.

I don't think the update caused that, though. Barring a malware issue, I'd say the queue is jumbled because of cache and data bloat. I'd go into the Gmail Storage and Gmail app itself and clear both data and cache, then reboot.

Menu > settings > applications > manage applications > menu > sort by size.

3. cocacolapanda

cocacolapanda Lurker
    None

Apr 28, 2011
    I upgraded my phone a few weeks back, now today out of the blue I'm having the same issues as you describe. I've followed what Frisco said but it has not fixed it for me.

Also ever since the upgrade when I reply to a message on the phone it sends two messages out, one with what I typed, then a blank one with out my response?

The other odd thing is once I upgraded, when I get an email I now get two notifications of new messages? Same thing is happening to my husbands phone as well. It appears there are two email clients on there; however, we did not install any extras and it worked great before the upgrade.

guyprentice, were you able to fix the issue?

I love my phone, but these email issues are really starting to drive me nuts.

4. bkelley02

bkelley02 Lurker
    None

May 28, 2011
    Since I updated to 2.2, I can no longer check my default email app ( yahoo in my case ) while connected to my wifi at home. It tells me that I have the incorrect username and password. If I shut wifi off, it works fine.

5. jalworth

jalworth Lurker
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    guyprentice, I have the same exact problem. I've used the phone for months before upgrading. No problems until the upgrade. Could be a coincidence. I've had the message in the sent folder be good and the message actually sent was corrupt and the one I'm looking at now is corrupt in the sent folder. I've had a new message come in and somehow pick up one of my old messages in the body. I looked on the server and it was good.

Unrelated (maybe), three weeks ago the Gallery hosed some of my pictures (again after the upgrade) and some of the songs stored on the external SD got corrupted. I cleared the cashe and re-downloaded the music and pictures, and that seems to be working, but then the email got corrupted again this week.

Frisco, could you go into more detail on this "cache and data bloat" situation?