• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Weird File Copying Anomaly

This is not a problem that needs a solution; it is just a weird anomaly that I encountered today and never before after several years of using the same program.

I have used a program that allows me to enter data on my computer and synchronize that data to my phone as well as copy files between the phone and computer. All has worked as expected for years but something has changed.

I connect to the phone to the computer so all files on the phone are viewable on the computer's display. I highlight/select all the files I want to copy from the phone then drag them to a folder on the computer. If I drag the files with the mouse pointer pointed to a file in the middle of the list, only that file and those above it are copied. The ones below the mouse pointer are not copied. So, in order to copy all the files, I must drag the list of selected files by the last file in the list.

This is an operation I have done for years at least once a month and sometimes several times a week and this has never happened before; however, it is a new anomaly that started inexplicably and is consistent and persistent.

Has anyone else ever encountered something similar to this?

sorry i still do not understand. what has changed? the mouse pointing? what app or program are you using. is this a windows pc? mac? if windows what version are you on?
What has changed is that I used to be able to drag and copy all the selected files regardless of which selected file the mouse pointed to. Now, if I point to any file but the last selected file, only the files at or above the file pointed to are copied and the rest below the pointer are not copied.

MyPhoneExplorer is the program I normally use in WiFi mode but it happens also when I use Windows 10 File Explorer when connected by USB.

Upvote 0
I think @ocnbrze is asking if the same behavior occurs with different types of file copies.

You described an issue with copying files from the phone to computer, does the same problem happen if you copy files on your computer to another folder on the computer? Or copy files from one folder on your phone to another folder on your phone? With MyPhoneExplorer? With Windows Explorer?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I think @ocnbrze is asking if the same behavior occurs with different types of file copies.

You described an issue with copying files from the phone to computer, does the same problem happen if you copy files on your computer to another folder on the computer?
No.

Or copy files from one folder on your phone to another folder on your phone?
I never do that and don't even know how -- and don't want to know.

With MyPhoneExplorer? With Windows Explorer?

To be clear, MyPhoneExplorer is a program which its user interface resides entirely on the computer. It serves as a window into what is in the phone similarly to the way Windows File Explorer serves as a file manager for Windows.

Additional information: Last night, I attempted to copy ten files from a folder on the phone. Using MyPhoneExplorer, I highlighted/selected ten files on the phone. I put the mouse pointer on the last file in the list and did a click-n-drag from the phone to a folder on computer. Only seven files were copied to the computer and the three left behind were in random places in the list of files. So I repeated the same process again and on the second try I got the usual Windows message asking if I wanted to overwrite or skip the files that already existed at the destination. I selected to skip and the remaining three missing files were copied to the destination.

So it appears I was wrong about one thing which is that placing the mouse pointer on the last file in the list would insure that all files would be copied. Instead, it appears some files get left behind and they are random files.

As stated in my initial post, I don't expect a solution to this anomaly from anyone here. I am beginning to think the solution is to address this problem with the MyPhoneExplorer developer.

Reactions: kate and Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones