• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Weird happenings AFTER I responded to "SU binary needs to update"

dkl1

Android Expert
Jan 2, 2012
Centerville, OH
There I was minding my own business today when I just happened to look at a notice on my notifications bar that stated something to the affect "...SU binary needs to update..".

I had a choice to have it update via the "Normal" way or "TWRP/Custom" way and since I had just recently did the "unlock" thing to my device and flashed TWRP recovery, I decided to go that route.

It appeared as tho it was doing its thing as it showed all these various files scrolling down the screen then it rebooted. Not long afterwards I was driving in my car and I received a call but I noticed the device itself was ringing. That's odd because I have bluetooth calling in my car. I tried answering it the car speaker ringer started going off while all the while I was unable to get the phone device to respond to my trying to answer. At some point I got an error message like "android.process.phone has stopped.." and then another one with something about "...InCallUI something something..."!!!

Lucky for me, I JUST MADE my first nandroid a couple days ago and am I ever glad I did so! :D I went ahead and restored to it and most of life is good at the moment but I'm confuzzeled as to what I am to do next time I get an update message from the SU app??

So, am I to assume the flashing of that SU binary update was the culprit here? ANY insight is welcome and appreciated! :thinking:

It's the locked LG bootloader: it does a factory reset. I just did this last Thursday on my F3 and lost so much stuff, including the last voice message my mom left me before she passed away. I'm heartsick about that.

Hopefully you'll have better luck restoring your nandroid, mine keeps stopping at the data restore and says it can't mount it.

I don't think I'm buying another LG phone, ever. They're nearly useless unless you root them, and stupid things like a locked bootloader make them a powderkeg.

SuperSU: ONLY USE NORMAL INSTALLATION.

Someone needs to tell the developer this as well, it should not suggest it with one of the custom recoveries, and should specifically warn against it for LG phones.

First off - I am so sorry that your mother has passed and hope you are doing as well as can be expected from such a loss. How awful to have lost that last voice mail as well. I think of that every time I delete a vm from my parents - since Dad is 86 & Mom 80. My sincere condolences.

Well, I actually have an unlocked bootloader as I stated. MikeStoney has a thread up here regarding the unlocking process -which I followed and completed. Fortunately after doing the unlock process I immediately made a nandroid backup. I went ahead and restored it thru TWRP and all is working as it did previously.

I will take your advice and only use Normal Install process once I get that notice again. I'm sorry you do not feel warm and fuzzy with your LG because I am enjoying mine and glad I left Samsung (S3)! Thanks for your reply. :)

Upvote 0
rootabaga - I guess that's what I get for not visiting the forum any more than I do at the moment! I'm apparently not reading everything I should in order to stay up on the latest mods. Thanks for pointing this out to me and making me aware of the "partial" unlocked bootloader! :)

BTW - I would agree that the carrier should not delete messages from server as well. Seems that there should be a way they could retrieve that for you if asked - maybe?

Upvote 0
There I was minding my own business today when I just happened to look at a notice on my notifications bar that stated something to the affect "...SU binary needs to update..".

I had a choice to have it update via the "Normal" way or "TWRP/Custom" way and since I had just recently did the "unlock" thing to my device and flashed TWRP recovery, I decided to go that route.

It appeared as tho it was doing its thing as it showed all these various files scrolling down the screen then it rebooted. Not long afterwards I was driving in my car and I received a call but I noticed the device itself was ringing. That's odd because I have bluetooth calling in my car. I tried answering it the car speaker ringer started going off while all the while I was unable to get the phone device to respond to my trying to answer. At some point I got an error message like "android.process.phone has stopped.." and then another one with something about "...InCallUI something something..."!!!

Lucky for me, I JUST MADE my first nandroid a couple days ago and am I ever glad I did so! :D I went ahead and restored to it and most of life is good at the moment but I'm confuzzeled as to what I am to do next time I get an update message from the SU app??

So, am I to assume the flashing of that SU binary update was the culprit here? ANY insight is welcome and appreciated! :thinking:
Super SU just came out with an update to deal with android lollipop. You may have got that. We all know that when android comes out with a new version everyone has a hard time.

Reactions: dkl1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones