• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Weird Home screen font problem

T

travelcat

I do love my G-Nex, but it has exhibited a weird problem - twice now, I've woke the screen up to find missing letters all across the home screens, something that is only fixed by a reboot. Today, after the first reboot, a totally different font replaced the normal one across all icons and text within widgets. An additional reboot fixed that.

Not quite sure what's going on. The phone is about a week old, it is an unlocked phone with a T-Mobile SIM. I am very, very impressed with this phone and ICS but not quite sure what's causing the font issue. The phone isn't rooted, and has Zoner antivirus installed.

Any ideas?

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but have you filled the storage to (or nearly to) capacity?

Have you noticed any apps using a fair amount of the battery in the battery stats? Any semi-dodgy apps?

Basically I'm wondering if you're out of memory. It could also be damaged memory/storage.

If you can, I would swap it for another. This is something that could potentially be a serious permanent issue.

Maybe one last resort would be a factory reset, then see if you can reproduce it.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but have you filled the storage to (or nearly to) capacity?

Have you noticed any apps using a fair amount of the battery in the battery stats? Any semi-dodgy apps?

Basically I'm wondering if you're out of memory. It could also be damaged memory/storage.

If you can, I would swap it for another. This is something that could potentially be a serious permanent issue.

Maybe one last resort would be a factory reset, then see if you can reproduce it.

Nope, nope, and I don't think so (dodgy apps - I'm pretty careful). I'll have to check the memory status next time it happens - good thought, maybe one of my apps has a leak. I don't have a ton of apps on it yet and I use less than half regularly so should be easy to track down if that's the issue.

Upvote 0
I've had a similar issue where sometimes I'll unlock it and come to a homescreen of missing letters and some white, some black. You'll see in the attached screenshots. Usually a reboot fixes this issue, but last week I was in San Diego using a new T-Mobile Sim (don't know if this factored in but I doubt it) and I had the problem and multiple reboots did not fix it. Going to settings and changing font size to another size and back again fixed it, but it does not always work. Strange, strange bug I say!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-02-01-13-30-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-02-01-13-30-16.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Screenshot_2012-02-01-13-30-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-02-01-13-30-47.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0
I was having this same problem for weeks. Almost 3 times a week the home screen fonts would be messed up, but in the settings they were fine. Was contemplating getting the phone serviced, but decided to uninstall some widgets first. Pretty sure Retro Clock Widget was causing my phones problems. Haven't had a problem since deleting 2 weeks ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones