1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Weird Htc email error and memory/battery usage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Xelai, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Xelai

Xelai Newbie

Hi, first post in the forum.

I just bought this phone and configuring some pop accounts I have found out that even though I limit the email client to only headers or 1Kb or 5Kb, whenever I open any email it automatically continues to download till every attachment is downloaded. If I press the little clock, then it will stop say Get and the remaining size.

I have checked most options and settings but I am unable to find out how to stop this behaviour.

In addition, strangely enough all attachments get downloaded to the Download folder, and are considered as Browser files if I want to free up space, I do not know if this is a feature and normal behaviour or not. Yhe fact is that even after I delete the email with the attachment, the attachment remains in the Download folder not being erased after emptying the Trash folder.

Another issue I have is that the screen uses up 80% of the battery, i believe that is a lot, even for automatic brightness.

Lastly, running apps use about 500 - 700 Mb of the 1Gb available, is that normal? If I add running apps they dont usually add up more than 100Mb, even if I add cached background processes, there is still like 400mb that I do not know what is using it up.

Thanks a lot for any replies and help

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Welcome to AF Xelai! :)

I can't offer any assistance with the mail app unfortunately, I just use the standard gmail app. If you want to manage multiple accounts though, have you tried K9 as an alternative? Hopefully someone else will be able to give a better answer than that though.

For the screen brightness, 80% is about average so I wouldn't worry about it. Generally though, having it set to auto brightness can make battery worse as the CPU is constantly polling the light sensor when the screen is active and adjusting brightness on the fly. If you turn off autobrightness and set the level to about 40%, that should be sufficient for most conditions.

Re the RAM, again, it's nothing to worry about. Android is pretty good at managing memory and benefits from utilising the RAM it has available (unlike windows). If you want to see what's actually taking up the RAM, there are apps like System Info Widget that will allow you to do that. I've never worried about it though, if you start getting low memory warnings (I've had multiple android handsets over 2 years and I've never seen one), then maybe look in to it a little more, but you're best just to let the OS do its thing.

3. Xelai

Xelai Newbie

Thanks a lot for replying so promptly. My worry is about all the memory leakage issues I have read about the HTC Mail stock app, as I am concerned it will eat up memory unnecessarily.

I will try K9, as for now I feel the stock app is a bit limited, my last Htc was a HD2, and I remember the email app was easier to navigate through than this newer iteration.

Thanks again.

4. as439726

as439726 Android Enthusiast

Hope this helps with the battery.
    HTC One X power management flaw discovered, unofficial fix boosts battery life by 10 to 20 percent http://phandroid.com/?p=91696

5. Paul_59

Paul_59 Newbie

I believe the fix you are referring to requires your phone to be rooted.

Some new owners would be reluctant to go this route as I believe warranty is voided .

6. Xelai

Xelai Newbie

Thanks for all answers.

I have been using K9, and although it has ists quirks, it is a competent email client that works quite nicely.

Battery stabilised itself but today it has gone completely nuts. After a full day charge and nil phone calls, nil messages, no wifi, just one quick pull up of a wikipedia page and 4 hours of idling, battrey went down 50%.

I checked the usage and android os was at about 40%, after checking that in settings, in a split second battery went down to 15%. Drainage continued at about 1% per minute, of just looking at battery usage till shutdown.

Absolutely weird. I feel a bit frustrated with the One X, as I do not think I can use as my main phone, I can receive 40 calls a day, and battery performance is vital for me.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

HTC One X Forum

The HTC One X release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, and 1800mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews