1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Weird issue when downgrading to z3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CrimsonToker, Dec 16, 2014.

1. CrimsonToker

CrimsonToker Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2014
    Male
    Cashier
    Humboldt County, U.S.A.
    So I followed the stickied guide to downgrade, which worked perfectly. I'm typing this on my boost volt, z3 and rooted. However, the process left my phone seemingly with no carrier. I can make calls and send texts, but have no data. (Currently using home Wi-Fi). I have no boost mobile apps installed after the flash, and the phone is not locked into any specific service, seemingly (is that what jail breaking is?)

I have NOT installed the modified z4 update yet. I used a friends computer to get as far as I have, since I have no computer of my own. So I'm wondering if I should flash the modified update, and if that will fix it? Alternatively, since I'm now rooted, I was thinking I could just call boost and get them to help me reset my data service. But then I need to be careful not to update to the real z4... Any advice is appreciated!

Advertisement

2. DaKillaWilla

DaKillaWilla Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 9, 2014
    It won't fix it, I tried that myself. I been reading a lot about how to get them back. So far I haven't been able to figure that out. My data does work tho. You may have to update the prl and profile settings if its not working for you.

3. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2013
    Male
    IT Contractor
    The reason your phone is now carrier-less is because the v3 you installed is non branded. No carrier identity and no carrier bloat. You can restore the boot animation and make it say Boost or whatever (although it's only cosmetic), but there's no real need to. This will remain even if you install the v4 ROM, which I would recommend as there are many improvements to be had there.

Not having a computer is not an issue since you can now just install cwm with flashify and install everything with that, no fastboot needed. :)

Install the ROM and radio with cwm, then install the kernel (boot.img within the ROM zip) with flashify.

You might have to do another profile/prl update after flashing everything.

4. CrimsonToker

None

Jul 4, 2014
    Male
    Cashier
    Humboldt County, U.S.A.
    I've never used cwm, or flashed a rom before this downgrade. I'm not sure how to do that exactly. Am I at risk of bricking my phone if I do that wrong?

5. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2013
    Male
    IT Contractor
    There's always a risk of bricking. Heck, there's a risk of bricking in just rooting your phone. In this case, it's minimal. There was actually more risk in the downgrade process.

All you need to do is download the cwm recovery (NOT the touch version) and install it with flashify.

Now download donjuro's v4 ROM and the radio.zip in that thread (make sure they are on your external SD). Open the zip and extract the boot.img.

Boot into recovery (turn off phone and hold vol down + power until it says factory reset processing, if you don't have a power menu shortcut). If you are worried, make a backup now before proceeding.

Go to install zip from sdcard and install the ROM, then the radio.zip. Do a factory reset before rebooting. The first boot will take significantly longer than normal, don't panic, it has to set up stuff.

Use flashify to install the boot.img you extracted earlier to update the kernel.

Update profile and prl and you should be good.

It is possible that you might also need to do a ##72786# reset.

Obviously you are going to lose your personal data in this process, so make backups of anything you don't want to lose. The backup you made in cwm will restore the entire v3 system and undo everything.

You will need about 5GB of room on your SD for the ROM and cwm backup.

#5 bg4m3r, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    Daigoro likes this.
  6. CrimsonToker

None

Jul 4, 2014
    Male
    Cashier
    Humboldt County, U.S.A.
    Thank you for such a thorough answer! It seems then that my only issue will be lack of sd card space. I filled it up with music lol. Had a spare somewhere...

7. CrimsonToker

None

Jul 4, 2014
    Male
    Cashier
    Humboldt County, U.S.A.
    EDIT: i followers your steps, and I'm good! Z4 rooted. My data is back, I seem to be up and running perfectly. I'm not sure how to check if my phone is now re-registered as boost, though (honestly, not sure where it was that I originally noticed it was unbranded)
    Is that going to affect me paying my boost mobile bill? Or the plan that I was on?

#7 CrimsonToker, Dec 17, 2014
  8. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2013
    Male
    IT Contractor
    Nope... I'm on Boost, no problems here. It should say the carrier on the lock screen.

9. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2013
    Male
    IT Contractor
    If you want the boot animation back, use root explorer and go to system/media. You'll find all the carrier animations there. Which ever one is named bootanimation/shutdownanimation will be used. Just rename them accordingly. If you want to use a custom animation, just put it in data/local. :)

#9 bg4m3r, Dec 17, 2014
    CrimsonToker likes this.
  10. CrimsonToker

None

Jul 4, 2014
    Male
    Cashier
    Humboldt County, U.S.A.
    Thank you for all the help!

11. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2013
    Male
    IT Contractor
    No problem :)

12. CrimsonToker

None

Jul 4, 2014
    Male
    Cashier
    Humboldt County, U.S.A.
    I am having another, unrelated issue that I could really use your help with. Would you mind sending me a pm?

Tags: