1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Weird issue with my Wifi.

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Azrhal, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Azrhal

Azrhal Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2016
    Hi guys, I have tried to fix this myself without any luck. Ok so here is the problem. I can connect to my WiFi just fine, however there is a lag of 30+ seconds before I can load a webpage. This is also true for any apps as well. After the 30+ seconds, the page loads like it should. I have contacted my ISP about this, they replaced my router, checked out my connections, all is good. The tech was able to connect to the wifi fine, with his apple. I have an older S3 that works on the WiFi as well. Both of our newer phones don't though, my M8 and my wife's S5. I also contacted sprint, and they basically said not their problem.

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    OK so this is kind of an odd situation. Your ISP has cleared your broadband connection as not being the problem and while troubleshooting the issue you have two devices that work as normal and two devices that don't. (With three of them from different manufacturers, so that at least rules out one issue.)
    So maybe the focus should be on your home WiFi network. As you referred to your ISP replacing the router that implies you've got one of those combined modem/router boxes, as opposed to a separate, ISP-supplied modem and your own wireless router. That limits your own control over your home network as most ISPs don't generally want to give their own customers that much flexibility compared to if you had your own router. In either case, try this test on your S3, M8, and S5. Using whichever browser on each go to:
    http://speedof.me
    It's just a HTML5 based broadband speed test site. Don't do them simultaneously, do each phone sequentially, and you'll get better results if no one is actually doing anything on your home network (i.e. if someone is watching Netflix in another room that will throw off your test results quite a bit).
    Jot down the broadband speed, or bandwidth, and latency numbers for each phone. Bandwidth is measured in Mbps (Megabits per second) and latency is measured in ms (milliseconds). Usually the bandwidth is the more common element that gets consideration but in this instance take note of your latency numbers. Do all three phones have roughly the same latency numbers or is there a wide range?
    Also, you might also want to install this Netalyzr app from U.C. Berkeley:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.icsi.netalyzr.android&hl=en
    Run a test on your home network and in the test results the items it checks will be highlighted in green, yellow, and red. Pay attention to the things in yellow and red and read the explanations that accompany of them. There might be an indicator as to something specific that will at least explain the mystery.

Offhand I'd suggest you try resetting your modem/router to its factory default settings and then reconfigure it to suit your home networking needs accordingly. This is something of a long read, and a lot of it probably won't even apply to your situation but take a look at this multi-part home networking guide:
    http://lifehacker.com/5833254/know-your-network-the-complete-guide

badcatz likes this.
  3. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi

Yes, an interesting issue!

Do the phones connect and access the internet via wifi at other locations immediately?
    Have you tried turning off the security on your home wifi? Does it make any difference if the password is not required? I suspect the security settings in cases like these.

svim likes this.
  4. badcatz

badcatz Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 12, 2010
    Male
    It might also be that those two devices just take longer to obtain an IP address for whatever reason.

5. Azrhal

Azrhal Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2016
    Sorry for taking a bit to get back to you. Thank you for all these ideas, I am trying them now. So my speeds per speedof.me are where they should b . I ran Netalyzr and it told me i had some DNS issues, but I changed my DNS and it didn't help. Removing and changing the password didn't help either. Bobcatz the issues started a few weeks back. I did a factory reset on my M8 to see if it was an update issue. I can use chrome to search and it runs perfect, but when I click on a link, it just sits for 30+ seconds then will load.

Edit, I have not had a chance to try wifi somewhere else yet.

6. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    I'm still wondering if you should just do a reset on that modem/router box. Once it's back to its default settings, reconfigure it with 'clean' settings so you've got a solid home LAN that will be usable again, and be sure to set up a new SSID/password and wipe the old ones off your phones. It sounds like there's just some setting in your current WiFi network's configuration that's creating a problem.

Who is your ISP, and what make and model is your modem/router?

7. Azrhal

Azrhal Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2016
    Ok, so confused as hell. I got creative and added an old router to my network....my phone works now. So it must be some setting in the newer routers. Thank you guys for all your help getting to this point. My ISP is Cox, Router\modem is a Netgear C6900BD.