1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Weird mode

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by me10lee83, May 30, 2013.

1. me10lee83

me10lee83 Member
    None

Apr 20, 2012
    Female
    Tech support
    Baltimore, MD
    My phone has gotten in to some weird mode (possible something accessibility related) where I have to first tap & hold an icon, then quickly double-tap it to open. It's talking to me for every action ("volume set to 5%, ringer set to vibrate", names of apps, battery level, etc) so I think this is accessibility related.

I can't figure out how to get back in to settings to check accessibility settings because I can't seem to drag down the notification bar, or scroll through screens on the apps menu.

I've tried restarting the phone but it just starts up in this mode again. Help!

<update> I managed to get in to settings from a battery setting shortcut on my homescreen, but I can't scroll through the settings menu to get down to Accessibility now!

Advertisement

2. Admack

Admack Member
    None

Jan 26, 2012
    Try scrolling with two fingers

me10lee83 likes this.
  3. me10lee83

me10lee83 Member
    None

Apr 20, 2012
    Female
    Tech support
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes that worked, thanks!

4. me10lee83

me10lee83 Member
    None

Apr 20, 2012
    Female
    Tech support
    Baltimore, MD
    My phone is reading websites/emails to me still. I can't figure out what setting to turn off to make this stop. The only text to speech settings I can find are for language, voice settings, etc, no option to turn it on/off. Any idea what setting this is?

5. me10lee83

me10lee83 Member
    None

Apr 20, 2012
    Female
    Tech support
    Baltimore, MD
    Figured out how to make it stop talking too- that settings is Enhanced Web Accessibility, which "allows apps to install scripts to make their content more accessible". Since it doesn't saying anything about speech/talking I didn't realize that's what this was. After doing a bit of Googling seems I wasn't the only one whose phone was mysteriously talking to them! Seems like this feature could be explained a little better...