• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Weird new problem....

RubyCalla

Lurker
Apr 3, 2010
Hi folks,

I'm hoping that someone may be able to shed some light on a new problem that seems to have developed on my Desire.

First of all, I have a Desire, unbranded and unrooted, updated with latest firmware available, no tweaking, just pretty standard apps etc... No significant changes that I can identify at around the time of the problem starting.

So for the issue.... I was on the phone a couple of days ago and suddenly the call dropped out (not due to poor signal as signal strength was strong) and the screen hung at half brightness with just the HTC logo. This screen stayed lit and no amount of button pressing/holding made any difference. The only way to get the phone back was to remove the battery.

When I reinserted the battery, the phone started up fine and I called the person I was talking to back and continued my conversation only for the same thing to happen again about 2 minutes later. Same screen.... so removed the battery and reinserted and then got a black screen with a phone icon and a scary looking red triangle with a red exclamation mark in it. Turned the phone off and on again and got a strange screen (which I can only describe as ? a bios screen?).

Anyway, after turning phone off again, seemed to be ok and so thought it was just a one off.... then today, the phone has hung again while surfing via wifi. The phone was quite warm so wondered if it is some kind of thermal shutdown so waited for 30 minutes for it to cool but still stayed the same at half brightness with the HTC logo.

Any ideas anyone? :thinking:

Many thanks in advance

Ruby :)

I've had that too, but can't see any pattern to it, It's almost as if the phone randomly auto restarts, but stops short of the 'quietly brilliant' screen coming up and then needs hard rebooting via the battery.

Also run latest UK unbranded software and don't have anything too rock and roll for apps.

Would be interested to see if anyone else had it...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones