1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Weird problem

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Beagles, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Beagles

Beagles Lurker

My s4 works great everywhere except one location. At this restaurant my phone shuts off by itself . when I restart it goes into a loop of restarting and off. The phone gets very warm This only happens at this place. When I leave it works fine. I asked others and their phones have no problems there?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Welcome to our AndroidForums, @Beagles.

I wonder if that restaurant has poor access to your carrier's towers and is straining to obtain a signal/connection--and therefore causing your S4's cell radio (draining the battery) to work extra hard in trying establish connectivity.

Even in that scenario (or a similar one with your wifi radio, etc.) your device should not behave like that.

I'm not familiar enough with the S4 to know if it has a removable battery, but perhaps your battery is actually the issue and needs replacing?

tube517 and Lordvincent 90 like this.
  3. Beagles

Beagles Lurker

The strange thing is my phone is fine when I walk out and stays fine. My wife's service is fine there.

4. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Just a longshot guess but is your carrier Sprint? Do you have that "Connections Optimizer" setting on?

Does that restaurant have wifi? Maybe your phone is trying to connect.

(I haven't had Sprint since 2012 and I have never owned an S4 so just thinking outside the box)

bcrichster and scary alien like this.
  5. Beagles

Beagles Lurker

Have Verizon rest. Does have WiFi but does not show up on my phone

6. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

I had this issue one time with a previous phone everytime I got home. It would try to connect to my wifi and then bootloop like your phone.

Maybe it's trying to connect to the restaurant's wifi and it fails. Can't say for sure but based on what you are saying, who knows.

scary alien likes this.
  7. ThePhizzle

ThePhizzle Well-Known Member

Just a thought but try turning off your phones data connection and wifi but leave the phone on,if it stays on try turning on the wifi connection and see what it does;if it dosen't react strangely then try switching your data back on if it starts malfunctioning again,try switching to airplain mode I know it shuts off your data and wifi but its better than it looping.just a suggestion.

scary alien likes this.