• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WEIRD Sprint "Free msgs will stop" message after 2.2 update??

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
WEEEEEIRD messages I'm getting after my 2.2 update. I don't know if it is coincidental or what but here is what I'm getting a FEW times a day through my text:
Free msgs:will stop automatically //SVAgICdTEAQAD+lpUcs4w21LOAMYpMOs3OQfiqgwH79upzjzZVmrGEszyPnD7HuZCWYfRYH4/ICg1G9D+xdUMbqlnoKqRhr8xJ//VSANY CLUE what this is or how to stop?? I can just SEE myself calling Sprint and reading off the 80-character string of letters and asking THEM this question!! LOL!! So, before I do...thoughts??

THANKS!!

Yeah but then they sell your number to 10 more "marketing companies" since they have confirmed the number is valid and in use

EXACTLY...the VERY LAST thing you want to do is REPLY to spam. And 10 more companies?? Try 100!! I've always ALWAYS be told NEVER response to a Spam message on email or phone or reply to a "remove/unsubscribe" list for spam because all you'll do is confirm your email address is valid.

Upvote 0
great. i started getting the spam messages today and like an idiot i responded "STOP".

You miiiiiight be safe...depending upon the faked/spoofed "sender" of the spam. For instance, if your friend "bob@aol.com" was hacked or his LEGIT email address was was taken by a spammer to send out spam so that "bob@aol.com" was faked as the sender and you replied to bob@aol.com and with "stop" then you wouldn't have a problem. If the faked sender was a totally fake, non-existent address and you replied "stop" then nothing would happen.

HOWEVER, if the return email address was set up to CULTIVATE legitimate email replies OR if, in a spam email on your computer your replied an/or hit the B.S. "unsubscribe link" then they PROBABLY gotcha.

The purported return address for the spam I was receiving was a 4-digit number which was sorta familiar as I have received LEGITIMATELY received from Sprint messaging. I have a feeling that if...IF...I replied to the texts I have been getting nothing would happen because the return "phone number" was something like "9144" or something like that.

With regard to the cell phone rep telling you to reply "STOP" the rep you talked to is probably only HALF (vs. full) moron. Most LEGIT services that you might sign up for will universally all turn off messaging to you with the reply "STOP' to their message. However, with a SPAMMER, if that rep suggested replying "STOP" that ain't too swift...
And BTW, you said you replied "STOP" and haven't received anything recently....I think that is ONLY coincidental.

Upvote 0
That's a "push" message. The system is supposed to intercept it and then sync your app(whichever it may be). That's how you get email or whatever "pushed" to your phone. Email/Facebook/Twitter/voicemail/ect apps rely on those for the push notifications to work properly.

I don't know why the phone isn't intercepting it. Normally you'd never even know it came through.

I had the problem going from blackberry to my Hero. Sprint kept sending the push messages for facebook notifications for several weeks. I googled and the only real option was to get on sprint.com and blacklist the number on your texts.

Upvote 0
That's a "push" message. The system is supposed to intercept it and then sync your app(whichever it may be). That's how you get email or whatever "pushed" to your phone. Email/Facebook/Twitter/voicemail/ect apps rely on those for the push notifications to work properly.

I don't know why the phone isn't intercepting it. Normally you'd never even know it came through.

I had the problem going from blackberry to my Hero. Sprint kept sending the push messages for facebook notifications for several weeks. I googled and the only real option was to get on sprint.com and blacklist the number on your texts.

The "from" number is from "9114" which is similar to other legit Sprint messages I have received. Do you have any clue what I might have or should have received from Sprint after my 2.2 update??

Also, regarding the blacklist...I'm a bit concerned about blacklisting the "9114" number because of the fear that LEGIT messages from Sprint in the future, if this issue is fixed, would be blocked as well, no??

THANKS!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
What was the "from" address?? What is a real 10-digit number or was it similar to the Sprint-like text message that I got from the number "9114"??

10 digit numbers.

one was spamming about loans11.com and the other about a wal-mart gift card.

no idea how they got my number. i have had this number for 10 years and never any spam. i'm real careful about who i give my number out to as well. if it's people i don't know i usually give out my google voice number.

instead of replying "stop" anymore i just went into my sprint account and blocked the 2 numbers from being able to send me text messages.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones