• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Weird text messages

rob2005

Lurker
Aug 10, 2010
Whenever i receive a text message from a company e.g. T mobile texting my balance or barclaycard texting me to tell me my bill is available rather than saying "t mobile" or "barclaycard" on the text message it doesnt...........................it says the messages are from one of my facebook contacts whose number i dont even have!

Any ideas?

Mine does this too, but only within handcent. The stock messaging app seems to work fine.

I've been through all the handcent settings but can't see anything obvious. There is an update to handcent on the market but I've not downloaded it as there are comments about it being slower and force closing a lot.

I done the update 2 days ago, seems to be working ok but still doing this weird message from the wrong person thing.

Upvote 0
Thanks, at least I've updated my handcent now!

The facebook contact thing is strange. My people app only displays my google contacts, but I've noticed when I open my dialler (just pressing "Phone" on any screen) and then scrolling down, all facebook contacts that have a mobile number appear in there.

I'm guessing handcent draws the information from there somehow, but god knows how it's doing it!

Upvote 0
I'll also throw my name into this.
I get a normal message from ie T-Mobile or Argos but also the second odd one.

I also don't have the person details stored on my phone, and I thought id get past it by deleting the contact on Fb however it just shows another person in stead.

One thing i did notice, is that the first word/ few characters of the original text is missing in the weird one.
(i'm 2.1 and using handcent too)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones