1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Weird WiFi Issue with Google Maps, Play Store

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Louis Cohen, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Louis Cohen

Louis Cohen Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    My new Galaxy S7 Edge generally works fine except for one issue: Some Google apps don't see our home WiFi.

We have good home WiFi; typically 50-60 mbps downloads per Speedtest. All apps on the S4 work fine using the WiFi for their internet connection. Most apps work fine on the S7, including Google search.

But, if I search in Google Maps for a destination, the app spins for a minute or so and says "can't search". If I turn the WiFi off and use the t-mobile cell connection, it works fine.

If I try to install an app from the Google Play Store, it says "Downloading..." for a while until it gives up. It works fine with the cell connection, and it works fine on the S4.

Other non-google apps seem to work fine with the WiFi, except for one that I think uses Google Maps (Marine Traffic).

I have restarted, and forgotten and re-entered the WiFi networks (2.5 and 5 GHz) multiple times; same results when connected to either one.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Welcome to our AndroidForums, Louis :).

The only thing I can think of and ask is if you've reset the router, too?

Other than that, I'm sure you'll get some other folks with suggestions here, too--there's probably something in the Wi-Fi Settings menu that would help--I'm just not sure what it might be.

Hang loose :).

Mikestony likes this.
  3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    So you do have some pretty weird issues going on. These sporadic-only problems are such a pain. Try installing this Netalyzr app on one of your phones and running a scan on your home network:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.icsi.netalyzr.android&hl=en
    Maybe the results might show something going on with your router or modem settings. But since you also mentioned your S4 isn't having the same problems I'm only tentatively assuming this is a router issue and more about something with your S7. Maybe in your router settings (leaving DHCP as is) give your S7 a reserved IP address. Also, temporarily set up a Guest Network with no security enabled just for your S7. Connect your S7 to this Guest Network, do a few tests to see if Google Map is accessible normally and then try enabling WPA2 security and see if there's any change.

scary alien likes this.
  4. Louis Cohen

Louis Cohen Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for your suggestions. The problem is not sporadic - it's every time, but only with certain apps.

I have a Linksys EA9600 router. I enabled a guest network, and all the apps worked fine. So I went to the settings for the regular network and turned the WPA2/WPA Mixed Personal security off. And the apps did not work. So there's some difference between the guest and regular networks that certain apps in Android 6 don't like.

I went to the security screen for the router and found these checked: filter anonymous internet requests and filter ident (port 113). I have not tried unchecking these - do you think it's worth trying?

I'll try to ask Linksys support what the difference is between the guest and regular networks.

5. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    When you were doing your tests with the Guest Network don't forget to delete the SSID entry on your phone each time you changed the WiFi settings on your router. You should add a new WiFi network entry each time just to be sure.

Regarding those settings for filter anonymous internet requests and filter ident (port 113) I'd leave them both as is. The first is about ignoring garbage traffic not specifically requested by your router (a definite plus aspect), the second is relative to things like if you're running your own IRC or mail servers.

scary alien likes this.
  6. Louis Cohen

Louis Cohen Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    Linksys support could not help. Maybe I'll try a Google Maps support forum

7. Parayilhussain

Parayilhussain Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 26, 2015
    Male
    Business
    Cochin
    Hi,go to settings>>storage>cached data > clear cache, clear data in google services frame work app,uninstall updates in google play store and in google play services and reinstall updates from google play store, clear data in download manager,reboot device/restart device.

8. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Okay, something to ponder on.

Use * WiFi Overview 360 Pro - Android Apps on Google Play
    to look and see if you have some competing WiFi signals in your home area. If there are, change the channel your home WiFi is on so there are no collisions between competing WiFi signals.

To me, it sounds like you are having issues with bit error rate collisions.

scary alien likes this.
  9. Louis Cohen

Louis Cohen Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    Parayihussain - sorry but in Android 6 I could not find the Google Services Framework app. I did do a factory reset and complete setup again overnight with no change in the result.

10. Louis Cohen

Louis Cohen Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    AZgl1500 - Can you give me an idea what I should be looking for in that app? The networks are on different channels. And the problem is with a few specific apps consistently.

11. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    What you want to look for, is that your WiFi signal is not on the same channel as other WiFi signals.

If yours is alone, by itself, then you don't need to change the WiFi router.

there are other underlying issues involved....
    why only a certain few apps are complaining is something I have not had trouble with.

When I have problems, all of the apps that need the internet just stop. All of them.

scary alien likes this.
  12. Louis Cohen

Louis Cohen Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    AZgl1500 - At least we've eliminated the channel contention issue.

Thanks

scary alien and AZgl1500 like this.
  13. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    I'd be very doubtful there's a channel overlap issue going by the problems you detailed. That plus that Linksys EA9600 wireless router is pretty nice, it's a dual-band, three antenna model, not your typical budget router a lot people are using.
    Here's a nice summary about WiFi in general, including details on channels:
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/sbiddle/8728

scary alien likes this.