• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Weird wifi issues

crackface

Jan 18, 2010
Hi all - out of ideas, so thought I'd try asking here.

Symptom:
I'm at the Microsoft Management Summit conference, and they have open wifi that reaches most of the rooms they're holding sessions in, including a lounge area. I can see the network, connect to the network, get an IP, but I can't seem to get out to the internet. The little wireless icon in upper part of Droid 3 screen stays mostly gray (on rare occassions it'll briefly turn blue).

Items to note, not sure how much this stuff matters:
- My laptop connects fine from the same spot.
- I'm rooted.
- I have the wireless radio hack for wifi tethering
- I've rebooted phone a half dozen times with same issue
- Wifi tech guy at conference said no one else is reporting issues
- My wifi has worked fine on this phone in every other place I've ever tried

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help....

Nope. Wide open....

Hmmm..... The blue antenna is when you are connected to google's servers and white is when you are connected to the network but not to the servers. So you are connected to the wifi but not to the internet. Just thinking out loud.:stupido2:

Let me ponder this for a bit and pop back in a bit.

Upvote 0
Hmmm..... The blue antenna is when you are connected to google's servers and white is when you are connected to the network but not to the servers. So you are connected to the wifi but not to the internet. Just thinking out loud.:stupido2:

Let me ponder this for a bit and pop back in a bit.

Much appreciated. I know when I'm dealing with an xp or win7 machine, I can do things like ping the gateway and remote site, and narrow down where my loss of connectivity is, but I don't know how to do these things with my Droid 3. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones