1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

welfare

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Affairs' started by cipher6, Mar 29, 2011.

1. cipher6

cipher6 Android Enthusiast

Two interesting stories, that make me think, why are we not doing more of this?

Cash-poor MTA may put recipients of unemployment benefits to work again cleaning subways

State Lawmaker Wants Drug Tests For Welfare Recipients CBS Chicago

What do you guys think about requiring more out of welfare recipients?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Android Expert

why not more of it?
    Unions get pissed off
    May cost more than it saves
    Too long hours deprive kids of parents
    Unemployment is high
    etc
    These are just some, not saying I'm against it

3. cipher6

Who cares?

How exactly?

Uhh... why aren't they in school? How do they expect to get jobs to take care of their kids?

How would the unemployment rate factor in this? I think this might help lower unemployment. If you suddenly have to work for you unemployment check, you might be a little bit more motivated to find a job and regular paycheck.

4. byteware

byteware Android Expert

Wah... why are we even thinking about how unions feel when discussing this topic.

It's apparently cost more over the past few years, than it did when they were using free labor before.

Same situation as everyone else who actually has a job.

all the more reason to get our money's worth out of these freeloaders.

5. cipher6

What about drug testing welfare recipients?

6. ElasticNinja

uhm maybe the union funded Dems?
    supervision, transport etc
    that's just an example - to get the money the states may make the people work into the night.. would be more of an issue for single parent families really
    because it would likely take jobs off others .. do bare in mind that almost no one wants to be unemployed - unless minimum wage + benefits are as crap or worse

As i said, not against this - just pointing out its not a perfect solution

7. ElasticNinja

are you implying the unemployed never contributed to Social Security? :p

8. ElasticNinja

I don't think I have an issue with that - but again, may cost more than it saves

9. cipher6

What does SS have to do with unemployment? They are two different things.

On drug testing welfare recipients:
    I don't think its a money saving issue, but a public health issue. If more people with drug problems can be identified and persuaded into getting help by with holding welfare checks, thats an improvement for public health, is it not?

Not everything in this world is about money :D

10. ElasticNinja

is the whole point of social insurance that you get benefits if you have the misfortune of losing your job

11. ElasticNinja

yeah, it may be a bit embarrassing to be singled out to piss in a bottle tho :eek:

really? :p
    news to me

12. haaaaaaaaahahahahaaaahahaahahaaaaahahahaha!

ElasticNinja likes this.
  13. cipher6

Social Security is basically a government retirement plan. SS taxes are taken out of every paycheck, and after you work so many years and then retire you get SS checks from the Government.

Unemployment is a State/Federal joint system, funded, in part, by a tax on employers.

ElasticNinja likes this.
  14. ElasticNinja

my mistake
    same principle tho, right?

15. cipher6

Many don't seem embarrassed using their food stamps to purchase candy, chips, soda pop, etc at the store, then spending their cash on beer. I see that ALL the time where I live.

If your not too embarrassed to collect welfare, I don't think you can use that as an excuse not to submit to reasonable requests.

16. ElasticNinja

.. and then they will complain when they are cut off and have no savings...
    or could it be too much of their benefits are in food stamps?
    perhaps, but welfare in itself is quite demeaning.. I'd rather it done in a discreet way

17. cipher6

Not quite.... in theory, you pay into SS then get that money returned to you when you retire. Its kinda like their just holding it for you, but in realty, they use current SS tax collections to fund payouts for people getting checks. When the baby boomers retire, and there are more people getting checks than paying into the system, the whole system will explode like a giant ponzi scheme. But its in theory more of a savings account type system than a tax to fund payments to less fortunate. If you have 50 billion in the bank and retire, you still qualify for social security payments.

Unemployment is paid for, partly, by an employer and governments (so indirectly income tax payers as well) If you never go unemployed you never see any of that money again.

18. cipher6

I think that social sting (if there is one any more) could be a good thing... motivation to get off welfare.

19. ElasticNinja

the few who don't mind being on it wouldn't care
    for the rest it just creates mental health issues

20. ElasticNinja

so its almost a good thing if you don't see it again ;)
    a safety net is vital for a capitalist economy

21. cipher6

agreed, just pointing out the differences between the two systems...

22. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

You cut out welfare and I bet you those people will find a job quick. Why should they find a job when the Govenment provides them with food, money, either free or subsidized housing. Its like they are still living with their parents. THey have no motivation. If you feed a lion everyday for years. He will grow fat and lazy and will no longer hunt for his food. He will rely on others to feed him.

Its sad that I work 40hrs a week and a person on welfare has nicer things than me. Get rid of the crutches and make them learn how to walk.

23. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast

Welfare should either go away, or be a 6 month max that you have to pay back within 2 years.

Drug tests that don't cost LOTS of money are pointless. You can buy fake pee at any smoke shop.

24. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

Do like the military does. Physically watch them pee in a cup. Theres no honor system when it comes to drug testing.

Bob Maxey likes this.
  25. byteware

byteware Android Expert

Absolutely.