• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Well, at least, here's a nice alternative

Komodo Rogue

Sep 5, 2010
As irishtexmex pointed out, I think a lot of the Atrix crowd (me included) feels like they were given the last straw, the last middle finger from at&t/moto, with the ridiculous pricing.

They blew me away at CES 2011. Nothing was going to stop me from picking up the atrix "by the end of the month (January)" or "in the next few weeks," as AT&T and Moto said, respectively. Ironically, if they had released the atrix this past weekend, I would definitely own it today!

but then -
-ambiguous release date, seemed to be pushed back
-bionic is free of motoblur, but atrix makes you use it (not a problem for some)
-locked bootloader confirmed, and some ass from at&t literally tells the android community to go elsewhere
-Moto just today announced they were not going to bother updating the cliq 2, despite previous promises... so enjoy android 1.5, cliq users!
-Moto also said "we'll update the phone to record 1080! we just don't wanna do it right now because... uh.. really, you can trust us!" um yeah, no
-No sideloading confirmed (although potentially not an issue, but still)
-insane laptop dock price / tethering required
-at&t's plans suck the most anyway, so even if I did get the dock, I would always feel limited
-also I don't wanna get too political, but personally I really hate at&t for their blatant support of internet censorship, and history of censoring content to their users, and $250,000 donation to GWB's '04 re-election.

alright I'm beating a dead horse! sorry, just venting some nerd anger - god I loved this phone!

anyway, something to consider: HTC Pyramid - qHD, 4.3" screen (too big for some, but perfect for my big hands), 4G, dual core snapdragon at 1.2 ghz (very cool - better battery life, although graphics might be worse - isn't it the adreno 220?), and most importantly, still GSM.

Doubt it will have all the bells and whistles of the atrix (fingerprint, webtop, etc), but I like HTC phones.

Considering the huge RAM of the desire HD and Inspire 4G, perhaps it will have just as much, and maybe even some yummy DDR3 memory that the snapdragon can support.

then again, engadget said rumors say may or june (which, as we all know, could mean July or August)... and I'm dying with childlike impatience over here because the atrix might be three weeks later than I expected...

I will probably impulse buy the atrix if Best Buy releases it as a pre-sale in mid-February. If that's NOT the case, I will NOT do a preorder as I am not afraid of a sell-out, and the timing suggests that AT&T just wants you to commit before you hear about the offerings from MWC.

And then there's the optimus 2X, which looks nice, almost as good as atrix, and maybe even better build quality, and the 3D optimus phone.

How about you guys - stick with the atrix, switch to the inspire, or maybe infuse or one of sony's phones, or wait all the way until MAY if that ened up being true?

Reactions: mgymnop
How about you guys - stick with the atrix, switch to the inspire, or maybe infuse or one of sony's phones, or wait all the way until MAY if that ened up being true?

Atrix all the way. Don't get the laptop dock if its too expensive for you but feel free to get the best phone on the market: the Atrix 4g.

It will set the standard for the next year when it comes to smartphones. Everything else will just be trying to catch up / match its features...

Upvote 0
anyway, something to consider: HTC Pyramid - qHD, 4.3" screen (too big for some, but perfect for my big hands), 4G, dual core snapdragon at 1.2 ghz (very cool - better battery life, although graphics might be worse - isn't it the adreno 220?), and most importantly, still GSM.

Doubt it will have all the bells and whistles of the atrix (fingerprint, webtop, etc), but I like HTC phones.

Considering the huge RAM of the desire HD and Inspire 4G, perhaps it will have just as much, and maybe even some yummy DDR3 memory that the snapdragon can support.

'cept for that phone is most likely going to T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
Atrix all the way. Don't get the laptop dock if its too expensive for you but feel free to get the best phone on the market: the Atrix 4g.

Yeah, maybe... I wasn't DEFINITELY planning on the laptop dock anyway...

'cept for that phone is most likely going to T-Mobile.

If it was really great and easily hackable, and wasn't TOO far away, as long as it has at least one comptable 3G band I'd probably do it anyway.

Upvote 0
As irishtexmex pointed out, I think a lot of the Atrix crowd (me included) feels like they were given the last straw, the last middle finger from at&t/moto, with the ridiculous pricing.

They blew me away at CES 2011. Nothing was going to stop me from picking up the atrix "by the end of the month (January)" or "in the next few weeks," as AT&T and Moto said, respectively. Ironically, if they had released the atrix this past weekend, I would definitely own it today!

but then -
-ambiguous release date, seemed to be pushed back
-bionic is free of motoblur, but atrix makes you use it (not a problem for some)
-locked bootloader confirmed, and some ass from at&t literally tells the android community to go elsewhere
-Moto just today announced they were not going to bother updating the cliq 2, despite previous promises... so enjoy android 1.5, cliq users!
-Moto also said "we'll update the phone to record 1080! we just don't wanna do it right now because... uh.. really, you can trust us!" um yeah, no
-No sideloading confirmed (although potentially not an issue, but still)
-insane laptop dock price / tethering required
-at&t's plans suck the most anyway, so even if I did get the dock, I would always feel limited
-also I don't wanna get too political, but personally I really hate at&t for their blatant support of internet censorship, and history of censoring content to their users, and $250,000 donation to GWB's '04 re-election.

alright I'm beating a dead horse! sorry, just venting some nerd anger - god I loved this phone!

then again, engadget said rumors say may or june (which, as we all know, could mean July or August)... and I'm dying with childlike impatience over here because the atrix might be three weeks later than I expected...

I will probably impulse buy the atrix if Best Buy releases it as a pre-sale in mid-February. If that's NOT the case, I will NOT do a preorder as I am not afraid of a sell-out, and the timing suggests that AT&T just wants you to commit before you hear about the offerings from MWC.

And then there's the optimus 2X, which looks nice, almost as good as atrix, and maybe even better build quality, and the 3D optimus phone.

*sigh...

- EVERY carrier will be ambigious about a release date. Get over it.
- EVERY phone should run LP or ADW (except maybe Sense). They are superior. ALSO, Bionic DOES run MotoBlur, it's just a dumbed down MotoBlur. Bionic MotoBlur << Atrix MotoBlur.
- We already knew it would have a locked bootloader. I can still do everything I want with a basic root (admin privileges).
- Don't know about you, but despite their policy on locked bootloaders, I trust them more than Samsung. Plus their track record for updating is right under HTC. I'm sure they'll get 1080p out.
- Again, sideloading can be done with a basic one click root (see z4root for Droid X).
- Atrix is independent of laptop dock! THIS shit pisses me off when people rant about it. Honestly, you weren't going to get it even if it was $200 so why bitch about it!!!!
- I'm paying $10 a month for my plan (excluding the $25 for 2GB); it's the best out there for me... Granted, the 2GB cap sucks, but I use WiFi 24/7.
- Yea, I agree with you on the last one.

\endrant

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones