• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Well crap, I got banned on xda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianJB

Android Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2010
I'm not looking to "bash" another forum. I just think I caught a mod on a bad night,lol.

I was trying to sell my xoom tablet on the market place over there. But there is so many people selling stuff,bumping threads, and other comments that it is VERY easy for a thread you make to get buried 5 pages back within a couple of hours.

So I would do what any other person does, I would bump my thread literally 3 times day (Morning,afternoon,night).

I had a mod post in my thread being pretty abrasive, posting an oversized picture basically saying that I was spamming. When I asked him how was bumping my thread 3x's a day "spamming" especially when it was my thread. I get a message in my inbox saying I had been issued a warning and that it was "my move" and he said basically he held all of the power and how dare I question him. So I basically replied with an "lol"..and boom I was banned.

But what can ya do?...Xda is a good forum, I like alot of the people on there. That was really the only bad thing that has ever happened to me during my 2-3 years over on there.

Again I am not looking to bash another forum...I think I just ran into someone in a bad mood.

I'm not looking to "bash" another forum. I just think I caught a mod on a bad night,lol.

I was trying to sell my xoom tablet on the market place over there. But there is so many people selling stuff,bumping threads, and other comments that it is VERY easy for a thread you make to get buried 5 pages back within a couple of hours.

So I would do what any other person does, I would bump my thread literally 3 times day (Morning,afternoon,night).

I had a mod post in my thread being pretty abrasive, posting an oversized picture basically saying that I was spamming. When I asked him how was bumping my thread 3x's a day "spamming" especially when it was my thread. I get a message in my inbox saying I had been issued a warning and that it was "my move" and he said basically he held all of the power and how dare I question him. So I basically replied with an "lol"..and boom I was banned.

But what can ya do?...Xda is a good forum, I like alot of the people on there. That was really the only bad thing that has ever happened to me during my 2-3 years over on there.

Again I am not looking to bash another forum...I think I just ran into someone in a bad mood.

Even on this forum bumping your own thread several times a day will get you a warning. Eventually someone will come along and answer your questions, all it takes is patience.

Sure, banning you was going a little far, but you were definitely at fault.

Reactions: ninja_reject
Upvote 0

I'm sorry, but I'd have to agree with the mod in this case. Perhaps the ban was a bit overboard, who knows what the history is. But someone repeatedly bumping their own post 3 times a day easily classifies as spam. Sorry about your bad experience, but try to take it as a lesson for next time. ;)

Upvote 0
Actually, that kinda stuff from a mod would never fly around here. So if the mod was being abrasive in such a manner, you could consider appealing it.

I know that at least Timmy Marsh and the Scottsman are great mods over there (last I checked), but any forum could have a bad apple, or any mod could have a bad day.

Still too much bumping can be considered spam, and it sounds like that's what started things so it might be difficult to sell you case, especially if there is more to it.

But yeah, at AF we'd never threaten a member or post a rude pic in their thread.

So I guess there are 4 sides to every story: one for each person, the truth, and the made-for-TV / direct-to-DVD hollywood version with Bruce Willis saving the day from ambiguously European accented villains.

Upvote 0
I've been a "super moderator" and just a moderator on more than one gun forum for years ...its a tiring, thankless job...

From the OP...I think that mod was on a power trip and reacted without thinking it through.

The warning was OK...but the "I have the power" remarks were unprofessional and uncalled for IMO.

Upvote 0
Actually, that kinda stuff from a mod would never fly around here. So if the mod was being abrasive in such a manner, you could consider appealing it.

I know that at least Timmy Marsh and the Scottsman are great mods over there (last I checked), but any forum could have a bad apple, or any mod could have a bad day.

Still too much bumping can be considered spam, and it sounds like that's what started things so it might be difficult to sell you case, especially if there is more to it.

But yeah, at AF we'd never threaten a member or post a rude pic in their thread.

So I guess there are 4 sides to every story: one for each person, the truth, and the made-for-TV / direct-to-DVD hollywood version with Bruce Willis saving the day from ambiguously European accented villains.
as much as I like XDA, they can be a bit harsh but to a certain extent, I can see their point sometimes. They have a LOT of members and most do not follow rules. AF is a lot more forgiving than XDA.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
I can't understand why a mod would be on a power trip to begin with, it's just a website.

If I were a mod I wouldn't have banned you for that type of reply, only if you continued to bump the thread.

I've run into mods like that and have been banned in the past on other forums. I generally stay clear of forums now-a-days. But so far (Knock on wood) android forums has been fair. :)

Upvote 0
I can't understand why a mod would be on a power trip to begin with, it's just a website.

If I were a mod I wouldn't have banned you for that type of reply, only if you continued to bump the thread.

I've run into mods like that and have been banned in the past on other forums. I generally stay clear of forums now-a-days. But so far (Knock on wood) android forums has been fair. :)

Yeah just to clarify its the constant thread bumping that I agreed with. Don't bump a thread 3 times in a day, that gets annoying. Even here I think someone would mention something, but nowhere near that level of rudeness.

However, a lesson I learned the hard way is one bad thing doesn't fix another bad thing. In my eyes, both the OP and the mod were wrong here.

Reactions: B2L
Upvote 0
You'll notice here that the mods in red don't act like police looking to beat people down the first chance they get. They are just regular members, enthusiastic about android, and want to encourage a healthy forum for discussion. There is no ego. Sure, they have to crack down sometimes when people get out of hand, but they address the issue without flaunting their authority.

Here's my view on bumping:

You're posting on a public forum. If you say something of value, people will latch onto your post and respond. If you say something of little value, people will ignore it. bumping is basically snubbing your nose at the natural order of things. It sends a message that you consider yourself more important than others, even if that's not your intent. Rather than bump, you should evaluate whether there's a better way to get your message across. Or perhaps there's a better forum or site to suit your needs.

Upvote 0
Hmm... I mean, from the sounds of it, if everyone else was bumping their threads, then that seems fine. And IMO it would be *much* worse to recreate the tread every time that it got buried. That being said, I can see how the bumps *might* be spamming, but mods should be abrasive, they should be try to represent the site in a positive manner. This guy sounds like a tool, and I lol'd at your 'lol' reply. I'm sure that pissed him off quite a bit.

;)

Upvote 0
Here's the thing. AF was my first forum. I didnt exactly learn that bumping was inappropriate until later on. I didn't even know what bumping was. If i was a first offender on something like that, the mod would have scared me and hurt my feelings. I personally wouldnt think im at fault. I didnt know better. And its not like forums have a TERMS TO KNOW IN A FORUM COMMUNITY section either.

Another one is DOUBLE POSTING. At first im like "what? I can only post once??????"

Upvote 0
That's pretty incredible. I nearly loathe that place and all the personal attacks and the "Use the search button!!11!" comments go on. I nearly thought there no Mods there. AF does a fantastic job here. Try to post your Xoom on the classifieds here (if you haven't already). It seems to be filled with folks selling their iPhones anyway :rolleyes::p

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Every large online community has its own culture. Here at AF the focus is on providing a friendly, all-inclusive and informative experience. One thing Rob and Phases make clear is that the Site Rules here apply to everyone, staff included, and that consistency is paramount. Mileage may vary elsewhere. ;)

Another one is DOUBLE POSTING. At first im like "what? I can only post once??????"

It's common sense to stick to "one question, one topic" otherwise you end up with replies to the question scattered about, making it harder (a) to follow the discussion and (b) for anyone to find the answer in the future.

Upvote 0
and the "Use the search button!!11!" comments

If you read the rules there, one of the first rules is use the search. I was a senior member on xda, but recently stopped visiting (My account still active).

It's a strange place. It's good for more technical information and with no offense to AF, a better place to distribute and download roms, mainly because of the established community I suppose.

I do really agree with the search rule though. I've been told off for suggesting someone use it here. Even nicely eg "i don't know the answer but I know I've seen the answer. If you use search and search for xxx, you should find it".

Anyway, I digress. The reason I left is the place gets flooded with 100s of duplicate threads every week. Clearly the first rule of fight club is being ignored. It gets to the point in a devices life that you cannot find anything relevant for the sheer amount of these identical questions and it becomes an awful place to browse.

I don't understand the level of some questions though. You'd expect with developers in the title, they would be a little higher level. Percentage wise, their amount of ridiculously stupid questions far out ways anything here.

I will go back to xda one day, when I change device, but despite being unable to advise a user to search for something I know will help, this place will always be my.home.

Upvote 0
"i don't know the answer but I know I've seen the answer. If you use search and search for xxx, you should find it".

Actually this is the perfect way to tell someone to use the search. It's attempting to be helpful by adding info and not dismissive like someone saying just "use the search" would be.

Sometimes people get confused and think we have a rule here to never to tell anyone to search.

That's not exactly true, our rule is never to dismiss someone with a "use the search" comment. Mainly because they don't add any value and are not helpful. (And borderline rude sometimes).

Things like "try searching for ___" are definitely helpful, and 100% allowed. That's pointing someone in the right direction :) It's all about the context and if someone adds helpful info/value to the reply.

What we don't like is something like a "use the search, noob" reply -- which is less than worthless.

Though SU, I think if you told someone to search for "xxx" they might have turned up some.... interesting content.

Upvote 0
Here's the thing. AF was my first forum. I didnt exactly learn that bumping was inappropriate until later on. I didn't even know what bumping was. If i was a first offender on something like that, the mod would have scared me and hurt my feelings. I personally wouldnt think im at fault. I didnt know better. And its not like forums have a TERMS TO KNOW IN A FORUM COMMUNITY section either.

My view on bumping a thread is like someone in a loud crowded room talking and no one is listening, so they talk louder. I have seen subtle ways folks bump threads that are really not annoying and can be helpful. An example may be "well, I tried these three things and none of them worked."

I do really agree with the search rule though. I've been told off for suggesting someone use it here. Even nicely eg "i don't know the answer but I know I've seen the answer. If you use search and search for xxx, you should find it".

I agree with ALP, your wording there wouldn't offend me at all. I have done this as well as I often read several hundred threads a day and don't remember where I saw a reference to what the user is looking for and they may find it faster than I can find it and post a link. Or, there may be several conversations (think task killers or why should I root) and I want them to see several different perspectives.

Another reason it doesn't bother me when folks start a new thread is that the search here generally poor. Searching the site from Google is better.

Though SU, I think if you told someone to search for "xxx" they might have turned up some.... interesting content.

^^LOL:D
But we report all that stuff and it gets removed.

Upvote 0
Every large online community has its own culture. Here at AF the focus is on providing a friendly, all-inclusive and informative experience. One thing Rob and Phases make clear is that the Site Rules here apply to everyone, staff included, and that consistency is paramount. Mileage may vary elsewhere. ;)

It's common sense to stick to "one question, one topic" otherwise you end up with replies to the question scattered about, making it harder (a) to follow the discussion and (b) for anyone to find the answer in the future.

Judging by your response, i may still not understand what DOUBLE POSTING is :(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones