1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Well.. here goes nothing..

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by boyo1991, Jun 27, 2013.

1. boyo1991

boyo1991 Android Enthusiast

All my life I've avoided java. I hate java.. and everything I learned for c++ was console based. No good applications of python, which is what I'd really like. So, my question is, should I learn java in its entirety before learning java for android? Or are they so different I can just learn java for android?

I have plenty of experience in programming. About 10 years worth, why I haven't actually done java is because I feel like its entirely messy and terrible. The languages I've worked with are c++, JavaScript, PHP/MySQL, all the web app stuff mainly, python, basic, and by far my favorite is python.

Where should I begin? I've seen all the notable pages, but get a little confused. Me and most anything java just don't seem to get along haha.

Thanks everyone!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. 9Ate7

9Ate7 Newbie

Hi,

I went from python to Java, at first i hated it. But now its hard to imagine programming without Java. You say you have experience with programming, which is the only thing that really matters. Java and android are the same in terms of concept and syntax. I don't think it will be hard for you to get used to android, the hardest part is the initial phase of learning the "new" stuff.

Thanks

9Ate7

EDIT: being with making a simple converter app, euro to dollars? inches to cm? It will give you a sense of the layout/structure of android and how it works.