1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Well here I go

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dougiefresh22, Feb 22, 2011.

1. dougiefresh22

dougiefresh22 Newbie

After playing with my girlfriend's hero and installing a new ROM I figured I would break down and do the same to my Captivate. I am pretty sure I know what I am doing well enough to get this done. There are some great write-ups out there. I will be going to Paragon for now. Serendipity looked like a good choice too. Does anyone out there have an opinion on which one is better, if either?

Advertisement

2. dougiefresh22

dougiefresh22 Newbie

and I already ran into a glitch. How do I get into my recovery menu? The guide I am using says to hold down both volume buttons and the power button when the phone is off. All this does is make my ATT screen flash on and off.

3. dougiefresh22

dougiefresh22 Newbie

Wow.... step 2 and I am already having trouble. WTF!! Getting to the recovery menu should not be this this difficult. I turn off the phone, hold down both volume buttons and the power button. I wait for the boot screen to come up and I release the power button but continue to hold volume buttons. This does nothing. I try releasing the power button after the second time i see the boot screen... nothing. Between boot screens... nothing. This is actually quite frustrating that I am stuck this early in the process.

4. meohman1

meohman1 Newbie

5. dougiefresh22

dougiefresh22 Newbie

all I have to say is.... holy freaking shit.... just trying to get my recovery menu is a joke. I still have not been able to do it (i did have to run some errands). I am downloading more crap than I think is necessary just to access my damn recovery menu. This is completely ridiculous. I don't know why the whole power + volume button thing is not working. If it was I would have had this thing rooted hours ago.

I am just wanting to bitch while I wait for 20 minutes for this stupid program to download

6. ~Reaper~

~Reaper~ Well-Known Member

7. Hotnicks

Hotnicks Newbie

I ran into the same issue when I started flashing a few weeks ago. I found that you need to hold all three buttons until the ATT logo screen cycles at least 8 times... good luck!

8. dougiefresh22

dougiefresh22 Newbie

So I downloaded this bad boy, which took me a little over an hour because of some connection issues last night, and it had an error on install. FML. I went to bed pretty pissed off. Hopefully I can work on this a little more later tonight.

9. dougiefresh22

dougiefresh22 Newbie

nothing.....

10. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto

Recovery is an issue. What works for me is to hold all three buttons, let the screen flash twice, then let go of the 'up' button, then the power button, keep the 'down' button on for a bit, then let it go.

11. sethjamto

sethjamto Well-Known Member

I had the same issues, but found that after it flashing a few times I would release the power button followed by the volume buttons and BAM! It worked!

12. dougiefresh22

dougiefresh22 Newbie

Still nothing... maybe if I stand on my head while whistling yankee doodle. Should I do this before or after the equinox? The next full moon is not too far away is it?

13. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto

LOL! Sorry, I do feel your pain. It does sound as though you've got one of the phones where three button recovery doesn't work. Read through this thread, if you use this version of Odin to flash back to stock you will then have three-button recovery. Sorry, I know it's not fun to flash back to stock, but it'll fix your problems for good from what I've heard - I didn't have this problem.

14. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert

Here's an excerpt from my personal flash instruction file regarding getting into recovery mode. Hope it helps.

Remove cable.
    Turn off USB debugging
    Select Rom Manager
    Reboot into Recovery mode - a selection within the app (may have to do this twice)
    Select reinstall packages, then press power button
    Select "choose zip from sd card," then press power button
    Select ROM file
    Scroll down to select Yes, then press power button
    Flashing begins