• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Well I bricked my Evo trying to root it, stuck at Recovery screen. Help please.

Sprockethead

Android Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2010
I am stuck at the recovery screen because my computer won't recognize the phone anymore for me to load the operating system back onto it. The steps that I am following tell me to use Device Manager to load up a usb driver. I have the usb driver, but whenever I navigate to the .inf file to upload it, I get an error message that reads "The specified location does not contain information about your device."

Another strange thing: I can't uninstall the old driver from the Evo. Whenever I restart the computer and plug it in, it is recognized as "My Evo." Yet Windows Explorer won't let me do anything to the disc drive that it represents.

Am I f*cked?

But that's the file that I started off with that allowed me to root the thing to begin with. Now I just can't get an operating system back onto it. Am I even understanding this correctly?

Basically, I've got it nicely f*cked so that my computer can't recognize the phone as a mounted drive (I'm aware that you know that part, just restating it).

So I need to get a file onto the sd card that runs automatically it sounds like you're telling me. But is the PC36IMG.zip the right file? I thought that my next step was to put the "EVO-recovery.zip" file onto the phone.

Upvote 0
But that's the file that I started off with that allowed me to root the thing to begin with. Now I just can't get an operating system back onto it. Am I even understanding this correctly?

Basically, I've got it nicely f*cked so that my computer can't recognize the phone as a mounted drive (I'm aware that you know that part, just restating it).

So I need to get a file onto the sd card that runs automatically it sounds like you're telling me. But is the PC36IMG.zip the right file? I thought that my next step was to put the "EVO-recovery.zip" file onto the phone.

Have you tried this? [ROM]RUU_Supersonic_1.32.651.1_Radio_1.39.00.04.26 - xda-developers

if that doesn't work, then do the following.

ok, since your computer won't recognize the Evo as a drive, you'll need a microSD card reader to transfer the PC36IMG.zip file onto the root of the microSD card. Or, when you are "stuck at the recovery screen" (black screen), connect the Evo to a computer and try: adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard

It doesn't matter how you get the ZIP onto your microSD card. Once you have that file on there, boot into the white screen (hold down vol_down when powering up) and after a few seconds it will try to flash PC36IMG.zip onto the Evo.

Once that flashes, then you can go back to the recovery screen (black screen) and run toast's evo-recovery scripts from your computer while connected to the evo. That should allow you to flash any ROMs.

Upvote 0
So you are saying that as long as I get an OS up and running from my SD card (which I just recently did a minute ago) I can still continue with the process of flashing over the evo recovery scripts, new Roms, etc?

lol not sure what you mean by "get an OS up and running from my SD card"

Why don't you tell us what you've done so far? Then i can tell you how to proceed.

for example:

Downloaded PC36IMG.ZIP from toast
Moved PC36IMG.ZIP to the microSD card
etc

Upvote 0
Ok, here is what I did.

1. Downloaded the following 4 files to my windows PC desktop:

*PC36IMG.zip
*EVO-recovery.zip
*Supersonic_1.32.651.1_rooted.zip
*android-sdk_r06-windows.zip

2. Copied PC36IMG.zip onto the SD Card.

3. Rebooted the phone while holding the volume down (fastboot, I think).

4. My phone went through the "root" process.

5. Removed the PC36IMG.zip file from my SD card.

6. Extracted the SDK and ADP drivers.

7. Fastbooted the phone and put it into "Recovery" mode.

8. Tried and failed to install the USB drivers from Step 6. Kept getting error message. Instead, the phone just kept "automatically" recognizing the Evo. It would assign it a drive letter, but said "insert disk" when clicked on!! In other words, it was not "mounted" as a drive.

9. Freaked out.

10. You told me to put the zip file back onto the SD card with a sd reader, which I did, and an operating system came back. But it seems like the old operating system.

11. I ran the EVO-recovery file with the phone mounted, but nothing special seemed to happen.

Now what???

Upvote 0
Ok, here is what I did.

1. Downloaded the following 4 files to my windows PC desktop:

*PC36IMG.zip
*EVO-recovery.zip
*Supersonic_1.32.651.1_rooted.zip
*android-sdk_r06-windows.zip

2. Copied PC36IMG.zip onto the SD Card.

3. Rebooted the phone while holding the volume down (fastboot, I think).

4. My phone went through the "root" process.

5. Removed the PC36IMG.zip file from my SD card.

6. Extracted the SDK and ADP drivers.

7. Fastbooted the phone and put it into "Recovery" mode.

8. Tried and failed to install the USB drivers from Step 6. Kept getting error message. Instead, the phone just kept "automatically" recognizing the Evo. It would assign it a drive letter, but said "insert disk" when clicked on!! In other words, it was not "mounted" as a drive.

9. Freaked out.

10. You told me to put the zip file back onto the SD card with a sd reader, which I did, and an operating system came back. But it seems like the old operating system.

11. I ran the EVO-recovery file with the phone mounted, but nothing special seemed to happen.

Now what???

OK, after #4, can you access Android on your phone? Or is it still stuck at the recovery screen?

And what is your goal? Do you want to just recover Android to its stock state? Or do you want to flash a custom ROM on it?

Upvote 0
Thanks man. And I just now read about that app "unrevoked" that lets you root your phone in 1 click? Wish I had read about that first...

That method doesn't unlock the recovery like toast's evo-recovery scripts do. So you won't be able to flash custom ROMs or edit things in /system in recovery. Everything else basically the same

Upvote 0
That method doesn't unlock the recovery like toast's evo-recovery scripts do. So you won't be able to flash custom ROMs or edit things in /system in recovery. Everything else basically the same

HI i'm new to the site abd by reading this tread i want to know if you can help me to get my Evo back to running condition .
it comes one but only on the OS mode or a black screen with a red triangle and a exclamation signal:mad::mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones