• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Well Rounded Revolution Review

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
In the second link, it looks like they decided to hate Revolution no matter what. Mostly bashing it without good reasons, explanations, extremely biased against it. Display looks just fine to me with good contrast, punchy colors unlike dim and dull Tbolt display. Don't see what's wrong with bottom key layout. I'm quite used to that layout after using Vortex.

Upvote 0
Yeah I stumbled upon both earlier. I'd read BGR first and was disappointed. Then I saw mobiletech and it looked good to me. I think in being a tech person (especially reviewers) it's difficult to be unbiased, and I'm sure they (as we do too) end up favoring one brand over another. I agree with the earlier poster that said it looked like BGR wanted to hate the Revolution no matter what. I'm sure they'd made up their minds before ever opening the box.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to heading to verizon tomorrow to play with their 3 LTE phones. I was holding out for Samsung Galaxy S2 or Bionic/Targa but after realizing it's taking forever to get dual core to play nice with LTE I decided to just commit to an unlimited data plan now. I just know they'll tier data right before they get a dual core to drop, whenever that may be.

Upvote 0
BGR normally does not push the hate in a preview of a device... Was the local LG rep a lady that turned down their advances?? ;)

I thought the MobileTech review of the DX2 was spot-on, so would tend to side with her review over the BGR preview. Less than two hours to see who is correct :)

The radio reception report from MobileTech though, was not very good, so even that review had some potential dingers. She noted the weaker 4G reception and compared the Rev to the DX2 for the other radio receptions.

Upvote 0
BGR normally does not push the hate in a preview of a device... Was the local LG rep a lady that turned down their advances?? ;)

I thought the MobileTech review of the DX2 was spot-on, so would tend to side with her review over the BGR preview. Less than two hours to see who is correct :)

The radio reception report from MobileTech though, was not very good, so even that review had some potential dingers. She noted the weaker 4G reception and compared the Rev to the DX2 for the other radio receptions.

Really? I stopped reading BGR a long time ago because of their pro apple stance on everything. I don't really dig the if it is not apple it is crap outlook that I feel they spew.

Upvote 0

Regarding signal reception point, that's just one test and it varies greatly with location for any devices. Tbolt and Charge also had mixed reports on that from poor to excellent. More and longer tests are needed to judge that. But given LG's past devices, I don't think they will screw up on this department.

Upvote 0
It's in the stores already....I had no idea it came out today and picked one up because my Incredible decided to blow all of its speakers and the unlock button in a matter of 2 weeks.

It's pretty sweet from what I have messed with. Def hard to transition to this from an HTC though....at the moment I miss the Sense UI

Upvote 0
Intomobile's review of Revolution. They seem to be positive overall.

LG Revolution with Verizon 4G LTE hands-on

My local best buy had them in stock today. I went in and played with one for a bit. I compared as best I could the screens of the DX2, my Fascinate, the Revolution, and the Charge side by side. I know phone arena said good things on their initial impressions of the Revolution about its screen, but from my short time with it I was disappointed. It lacked the black levels of the DX2, and obviously my Fascinate and the Charge, but the brightness and color were pale in comparison to the Thunderbolt. I was honestly expecting to be more impressed by the screen than I was. I didn't get the chance to do any video or photos on it, though, so I plan to research it more at a future date, and run it through some more tests.

It was speedy and responsive like the thunderbolt, but not as heavy, and it had a slightly slimmer form factor. It's definitely better looking on the backside than the thunderbolt, but that's subjective of course.

Just as an FYI, my Best buy had quite a few in stock, and ready to go, as well as a dummy unit with an active price tag. They sold ZERO today. When the Thunderbolt released they sold a good quantity of them, and you saw folks around with them right away. The Thunderbolt overall has been selling reasonably well. If my store is any indication, though, the Revolution is not quite the success LG was hoping for, and as far as I can tell, is not quite the device I was hoping it would be, either.

We'll see how it does nationwide though. I hope it does well, because I've always liked LG. It certainly doesn't have much over the TB as of yet, other than HDMI mirroring, stock netflix, some kind of magical calling feature that will be unlocked in a future update, and hopefully better battery life. Marring it so far (again, further testing shall be done as soon as I can) are an inferior screen to the TB, and vastly less publicity. I am not expecting much out of the camera either, but that remains to be seen. So far reviews are saying it's pretty good but not great, wheres the TB camera is actually quite good.

Quick version: I'm disappointed so far.

It seems Berizon is still willing to make sacrifices in order to accommodate LTE tech that still has issues of its own. I know it needed to happen sooner or later, but I honestly would be much happier with "3.5G" speeds that don't adversely affect form factor, battery life, network reliability, etc. 3.5G is still 3-4 times as fast as what I have now with 3G - a notable improvement - and devices are doing quite well with those speeds on AT&T and T-Mobile.

How much are you sacrifice to get LTE speeds in a few select markets? Again I will state that frequent tetherers are certainly justified in doing whatever it takes, but for now there is not a single LTE handset that presents ANY kind of significant upgrade (other than LTE itself) over the Fascinate ,which is currently free from many resellers with your 2 year renewal or new contract. And in comparison you'll lose some form factor and battery life. I realize there are a good number of users out there that have had problematic Fascinates with sketchy GPS's in them, but I would still hold out for something better than what we have now unless you absolutely need LTE.

Upvote 0
The only thing I know is VZW are not exactly making an effort for the Rev. This makes their low effort with the DX2 seem like the big DX1 launch in comparison.

No live demos in any stores where I live yet- They can not get the activation codes for them yet. Nuts. Best Buy is same issue as far as effort.
It's LG and not Verizon who are to blame for the lack of promotion. LG has not always been the best at it.

Upvote 0
To me Revolution screen looks good enough. Fairly bright and colorful. Not as excellent as Charge or SGSII though. I just can't stand the dim low contrast screen of most HTC phones though they look pretty crisp. DX2 screen is quite surprise to me, better than I expected it to be, maybe slightly better than Revolution in contrast. Actually I had DX2 as second runner in my list, but now the list of its issues, bugs is growing exponentially from what I see on DX2 forum. It seems to suffer serious lags, low memory bogging it down often as well as software bugs like facebook contact sync, MP3 play skipping files.

Also Revolution is pretty strong in memory/storage department than I expected. 768Mb RAM/16Gb internal storage/16Gb microSD is actually the strongest spec I have seen in any previous LG phones. It will come down to Rev vs Charge for me but Rev is front runner for me. All in all I like Revolution hardware wise and will get it soon.

Upvote 0
I tested the Rev out today. In comparison to the DX2:

1. Build seems good, but I prefer the form factor of the DX2, since much easier to use with one hand.

2. Display. It is NOT anywhere near the way BGR reported (Awful? what were they looking at?). The display looks about the same to me as the TB, which is a good display (not great, but certainly not bad). IMO, the DX2's is much better. Better sharpness, contrast, brightness and color.

3. Call quality is not as good as the DX2, but not many are.

4. Did not check speaker or 3.5mm output (spent too much time comparing displays)

5. I could not compare signal, since could not find a dBm value in settings (strange).

6. Device seemed zippy and about the same as the TB

7. Flash seemed to perform well

8. I never thought I would say this about Blur, but it is IMO a much better UI than the LG UI.

9. Perhaps it was just the demo unit at VZW, but I had to apply a little more pressure to the display to get it to react. Seems much less sensitive than the DX2. Added: Did other folks experiece this?

If the touch response is the same for all units, this would be an issue for game emulators.

Upvote 0
bought mine a few hours ago. I'm liking it a lot. Screen is now where as bad as what the reviews were saying. About the biggest complaint I have right now is the pressure to the display that Rushmore mentioned. I am seeing it, but its not a killer. I have about 10 days to decide if I want to keep or trade. But. Its already been rooted, so that is a big plus if I could ever figure out how to get adb to recognize my phone...:)

So far...so ok.

Upvote 0
If the touch response is the same for all units, this would be an issue for game emulators.

I'm thinking it's device specific, mine is more responsive than my old Incredible. It was actually a little too responsive and sometimes notices my fingers on the side of the phone that i'm using just to hold it. Maybe what you guys are seeing is that it is recognizing those fingers instead of the one you want it to. I put on a silicone case and now it is awesome, def the most responsive touch screen i've ever had, and by far the most precise(always gets the cursor right where i want it when editing text)

Oh and a little update for anyone worried about battery life:

I'm seeing awesome battery life. Been playing with it on and off for about 8 hours now and am at 63% battery. My old Inc couldn't get past 1pm on the stock battery even with minimum to moderate use.

Upvote 0
bought mine a few hours ago. I'm liking it a lot. Screen is now where as bad as what the reviews were saying. About the biggest complaint I have right now is the pressure to the display that Rushmore mentioned. I am seeing it, but its not a killer. I have about 10 days to decide if I want to keep or trade. But. Its already been rooted, so that is a big plus if I could ever figure out how to get adb to recognize my phone...:)

So far...so ok.

If you do not play game emulators, it should be okay, but I do, so the Revolution would not be an option for me. The DX2 rocks for emulators. BTW, I can play cpu hungry N64 and PSX and the DX2 does not get hot. That is opposite of what I thought, considering it gets warmer with Flash videos. Strange.

Added: Nick reports his is too senstive.... Maybe some of us are low on capacitance!! ;)

Hopefully it is a case of some are weak and some are not :) Seems the same thing for the DX2 as far as sporadic heat issues. Some apparently do, some don't.

Upvote 0
I ran benchmarks in a 3G Area VZW store, I installed quadrant on LG Revo, Samsung Charge, and HTC TB. I cleared as much running bloat, stopping un-needed processes to make it fair across the spectrum.
Results:
LG Revo- 1950
HTC TB- 1805
Charge- 950 (I think it is not fair, the Charge has slow RFS file System)

I returned my Charge to VZW and walked out with LG Revo, it seemed more snappier, screen transitions were perfect, the up and down on web pages had some jitter but hardly noticeable to most. I do not care for stock UI on LG or the stock keyboard, Swype installed is more responsive. I went with Launcher Pro, I bought it for Charge because the Touch Wiz 3.0 was lag-central. The HTC TB is a good device, seems a little heavy and so far high battery usage is at a point where VZW is offering the extended battery and cover at half price when you purchase device... That is what my salesman said here in Western Washington.

Upvote 0
I ran benchmarks in a 3G Area VZW store, I installed quadrant on LG Revo, Samsung Charge, and HTC TB. I cleared as much running bloat, stopping un-needed processes to make it fair across the spectrum.
Results:
LG Revo- 1950
HTC TB- 1805
Charge- 950 (I think it is not fair, the Charge has slow RFS file System)

I returned my Charge to VZW and walked out with LG Revo, it seemed more snappier, screen transitions were perfect, the up and down on web pages had some jitter but hardly noticeable to most. I do not care for stock UI on LG or the stock keyboard, Swype installed is more responsive. I went with Launcher Pro, I bought it for Charge because the Touch Wiz 3.0 was lag-central. The HTC TB is a good device, seems a little heavy and so far high battery usage is at a point where VZW is offering the extended battery and cover at half price when you purchase device... That is what my salesman said here in Western Washington.

Right now among those three devices I would choose none. It's not because they're bad, because they're not bad. They're good. The problem is that they are all so close to greatness, and would be great aside from stupid flaws or omissions. The Charge is a fantastic device. The physical buttons on that phone are the best I've ever used on a smarphone. They really work great. The camera it has is the same as the SGSII. It produces simply phenomenal cellphone pictures, and is CAPABLE of 1080p video ... IF it didn't have LAST YEAR'S processor. I just can't believe it has the same CPU that my Fascinate has that I purchased last september, and that CPU is expected to run an upgraded 8MP camera, support mirroring via HDMI, and Berizon's new 4G tech ... Yes, it can keep up, but a refreshed CPU, even the single core like what's on the Infuse, would have made a tremendously greater amount of sense.

The Thunderbolt has a very nice upgraded screen over the EVO, a snappy processor, and pretty reliable 4G/3G service. It also takes impressive pictures. I realize that photo quality might be secondary to many smartphone users, but there is a lot of hidden value in not having to pack a point and shoot in addition to your cellphone, at least coming from a father of two who likes to travel whenever we can. What did HTC botch? Mainly the battery. And I am afraid of structural compromises made in order to pack so much into its form factor. They really have stuff crammed in there, and my worries might be completely unfounded, but there are a few preliminary complaints that I've seen from concerned users. Again ... sooooo close to greatness.

The Revolution ... we've discussed that aplenty here. It's definitely the new single core phone king. But LG has other handsets on other carriers that blow it away. Why can't Berizon be one of those carriers? And WHY WHY WHY did they have to throw BING on it? That really detracts from the end user experience, and makes the owners of the phone have to go through lots of steps to get back to the search engine they're used to.

I really tried to give Bing an honest chance on my Fascinate. Sometimes the results made me cry, and not from joy. The Revolution is also so close to greatness...

That's why right now I have to stick with none of the above, even though I have a line eligible for upgrade. Granted I have a Fascinate, and many of you Revo buyers probably are suffering with a lot worse than that ... I'd probably get a Revo over my Omnia ... maybe over the Eris. But honestly, if I only had my Eris, and I knew an SGSII variant was supposed to come out in a few months, I'd have a hard time sinking my teeth into one of these single core devices right now.

If I was forced to use my upgrade right now, my 1st choice would probably be the Revolution, the second would probably be the Charge or perhaps the DX2. I wouldn't get the TB, even though the screen is excellent. It's the bulkiest of them all, and yet still has the weakest battery. I can't support that kind of bass-ackwards hardware development. HTC makes a powerhouse device with a brighter screen, faster CPU, and LTE tech inside, then sticks a 1300mAh battery in it?? WHAT THE ... No thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones