• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Well, that was fun! (Not)

So I'm sitting here this morning, Joy Noelle sleeping on my leg while I'm using a laptop, and all of a sudden BOOM!!!! The house rattled. I grabbed Joy and pinned her to my chest, then walked around the house looking outside for a potential cause. Nothing.

I called my next-door neighbors and they immediately knew why I was calling; they had no clue either. I've heard sonic booms numerous times, and this definitely was not one, nor was it an earthquake.

We both got on NextDoor to see if we could find out what was happening. I was posting when... BOOOOMM!!!!! That was followed a few minutes later by another BOOOOOMMMMM!!!! The third was by far the worst.

I called 911. Guess what they told me? It was 'police training with another agency.' :eek:

On NextDoor, as I and others posted info about what we'd found out, the overall reaction was WTF?!! Why didn't anyone notify us in advance? Car alarms went off, pets got startled, people's nerves were rattled, and calls poured into area police departments--all of which could have been avoided by simply alerting us ahead of time!

We don't know the actual source of the booms, just that they caused a lot of unnecessary anxiety. I usually really love the Arcadia PD, but they goofed up this time, big time!

Something with enough energy release to rattle houses without even being within sight sounds pretty extreme for a training exercise!
No kidding! On NextDoor the chatter is about bomb squad training, but as I said we really don't know.

For the life of me I can't understand why they didn't alert everyone in the area before doing it. I get FEMA alerts, Amber alerts, earthquake testing-to-make-sure-it-works alerts, etc., so it's not like the technology doesn't exist. Besides, something like this obviously wasn't a spur-of-the-moment event--it had to take a long time to plan it, get the appropriate permits/permissions, logistically work everything out, and so on. There was plenty of time; they could have easily snail-mailed everyone in the area a card alerting us to it. :mad:

Upvote 0
When I went to Killeen, TX, back in 2008 to help renovate a house for a friend, we were all of two blocks from Fort Hood.

There were black helicopters (even giant Chinooks) flying overhead constantly.

At any given hour, day or night, practice may have been going on- even with tanks.

The damage that I was attempting to repair was cracks in the drywall, and remaining plaster & lathe that was caused by the constant vibrations from the explosions and flybys.

It is amazing what someone can learn to sleep through.
(We were staying in the house.)

Oh well, the house was very close to a violent ghetto, so it was actually soothing to hear those sounds instead of gang battles, street riots, drug dealers, and prostitutes shooting, shouting, and carrying on.

Upvote 0
When I went to Killeen, TX, back in 2008 to help renovate a house for a friend, we were all of two blocks from Fort Hood.

There were black helicopters (even giant Chinooks) flying overhead constantly.

At any given hour, day or night, practice may have been going on- even with tanks.

The damage that I was attempting to repair was cracks in the drywall, and remaining plaster & lathe that was caused by the constant vibrations from the explosions and flybys.

It is amazing what someone can learn to sleep through.
(We were staying in the house.)
Ft Hood, I know it well! When my husband and I were making the trek moving from Florida back to California, we stopped to stay with friends who were stationed there. (Hubby was USAF, friend was Army, but military is military.) They were living on a ranch in the hills of Lampasas, and while I'd never want to live in an outlying area like that, it was fun and interesting at the time. We'd go to Ft Hood all the time.

Oh well, the house was very close to a violent ghetto, so it was actually soothing to hear those sounds instead of gang battles, street riots, drug dealers, and prostitutes shooting, shouting, and carrying on.
Wow. When we were there, at least as far as I know, there weren't any violent ghettos. Amazing you got any sleep at all!

Upvote 0
OH Sh!T you guys heard that? sorry for the disturbance. i was trying to distill some moonshine. i got the recipe from a youtube channel. well......let's just say that recipe was crap.

here's proof:
I should have KNOWN you had something to do with it! Do you have any idea how many unnecessary calls were made to the police because of your little experiment?! :eek:

Reactions: ocnbrze and olbriar
Upvote 0
Ft Hood, I know it well! When my husband and I were making the trek moving from Florida back to California, we stopped to stay with friends who were stationed there. (Hubby was USAF, friend was Army, but military is military.) They were living on a ranch in the hills of Lampasas, and while I'd never want to live in an outlying area like that, it was fun and interesting at the time. We'd go to Ft Hood all the time.

Wow. When we were there, at least as far as I know, there weren't any violent ghettos. Amazing you got any sleep at all!

Are you serious?
That whole area is bad and has been for years.

Before we went, he told me of the time he was prevented by police from walking to his nearby house- because some guy had been shot to death right in the city property between the sidewalk and the road.

Said he had to wait quite awhile before cops were willing to walk him by the corpse- which was only a few houses from his.

1206 Duncan Ave.

As a matter of fact, we had to hide below the windows with all the lights out the night Obama won his first term in 2008.

Streets were full of people screaming and carrying on all night, breaking whatever they could- of course no police protection.

Days later a huge gang of people were hindering traffic on a main road nearby, and I was on bicycle.

They were all the way across the road, from sidewalk to sidewalk.

I rode around the majority, and was relieved when I saw a cop- until he hit the gas and hightailed it out of there.

Upvote 0
Are you serious?
That whole area is bad and has been for years.
Well, we were there in the '70s and, as I noted, were basically at two locations: one, a REMOTE ranch in the hills of Lampasas, and, two, Ft Hood itself. I assure you there were no gangs of criminals wildly running through those streets! :D

The only things I've heard about Ft Hood proper in recent years are that doctor who went nuts and killed a bunch of coworkers, and then the soldier who disappeared, and I think her body was eventually found. Nothing good.

Upvote 0
This is very troubling to me. Neighborhood ratting sonic booms with no explanation? Where's the accountability? I would be demanding answers and I would question why there was no warning to the community.
Ironically, a different--and much worse--explosion event occurred the same day, and buried our story completely.

But I'm not done, and neither are my neighbors. We want answers! It's completely inexcusable, in my not-so-humble opinion, to scare the shit out of people and pets in [at least] two cities, with no warning whatsoever. People in the city immediately south of me called their police, too, so it wasn't limited to my immediate area. I just can't imagine the meeting where they're planning this 'training' event, and someone says "you know, I think the BEST way to handle it is just do it out of the blue! scare the shit out of two cities! flood the police lines with worried phone calls!" :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones