• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

well the new phone is here

uchi

Jun 14, 2010
i finally got the chance to get the replacment phone set up. synced it with the sony website to keep my contacts. so far its smooth. alot smoother than the old one. but its already lagged at the unlock screen once and its been turned on for 2 minutes. so im gonna toss the essential apps into it and see how it treats me as the day goes on. lets hope the last one was just a dud

well ive given it a day, i was out yesterday and didnt get much use out of it but the times i did use it it seems to be alot smoother than the old one, transitions between screens nicer and its definatly faster. still has its issues though. the screen swipe has been giving me some problems where at times it wont swipe to unlock and i have to hit the button on the top of the screen to shut the screen off and turn it back on again and then it unlocks no problem and i had some issues dragging items to the garbage can to remove them from the home screen. other than that though its alot better than the other one i was using. text messaging seems to be alot better, this one actually receives emails, the other one stopped receiving them in the last couple weeks of its life. so far so good. and the sound quality actually seems better, the sound seems to be much cleaner than the other one. one problem im having with this that i cant figure out, when i get a text message it shows the little box in the drop down menu, the one that looks like a post card, and when i read the message that little postcard is still there, has been since yesterday unless i click on it. and searching through the menu i cant find how to remove it. other than that im a happy camper again :)

Upvote 0
Hello and Welcome home... I came across a very interesting app called, "System Info Widget" and it provides a wealth of knowledge in a compact package with live readings. There is no FREE version yet (Only a small downside as the price is very reasonable) and it appears the Builder of this App is a relative new comer to the Market, but is getting very good reviews thus far. So you may want to get it a go and see what you think. If you do decide to give a go, let me know what you think of it. So far, I'm liking it a lot. One App replacing at least 2 others....

Upvote 0
Uchi on the email notification, have you tried using a third party app for email and switching off notifications in the stock app? Other than hitting the clear notifications button in the top bar each time I can't see how else to get rid of it via the settings. I personally use K-9, which I know isn't to everyones taste, but sometimes a third party app makes the phone behave itself!

I am also wondering in a very non technical way, if the darkness/lightness of your screen makes a difference to the swype. The only reason I say this is that I have just changed my wallpaper to quite a dark one from a light one and the swype seems more accuarate. Weird bt true!

Upvote 0
well i tried handscent for my texting and it was terrible, the layout was so much nicer than the original setup but at times id have to sit there and hit the button for who knows how long before the program would load. ill try the email program youre talking about and see if it helps. also ive tried several different pictures and the unlock still acts the same way, i dont even have a screen protector on the phone figureing it may have been causing some sensitivity issues but it doesnt make a difference. oh well ill deal with it until the phone acts up bad and then ill call and complain to rogers again. as it is this refurb they sent me doesnt feel right, the back button has a weird feel about it, maybe when i call them ill mention it so they can note it in their system for future calls :)

gunny is that like beautiful widgets? i like bw because itll do date time and weather in one widget its quite nice like that. ill look into the one you mentioned and see if i can find a trial or something and check it out, thanks for the help guys :)

Upvote 0
UCHI, I think your realizing what I have finally realized. Unless you are rooted, only keep apps on the phone you mst have. I tried putting on the nice to have apps, but they slowed my phone to a snails pace, plus I had very little ram. Now with only wat I need and doing away with the nice, but don't really need apps, the phone is much smoother and has the snap back into it. I am sure this is an OS issue along with the timy 384MG of RAM. Oh well.......

Upvote 0
well this thing never had a snap to it, lol, i do find its a little laggy at times, and the worst oart is, and this happened even when new, i use the vibrate text thing where it vibrates each time you hit a letter, and at times itll freeze up mid word and vibrate constantly and then eventually it un****s itself. haha, oh well ill live with it, the only other thing that im pissed about now, when i backed up this phone i somehow managed to back it up twice and now each contact is in there twice.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones