1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Well This Sucks.... In A Strange Way.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by XXSuntoucherxX, May 8, 2011.

1. XXSuntoucherxX

XXSuntoucherxX Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Male
    Meat Popsicle Defroster & Multipass User
    Brookline, MA
    So I've developed the routine of charging my phone while I'm at work as the whole dual core thing does a number on the battery. (And my own usage I'm sure accounts for a lot of this) I've read about people having their phones reboot once they've charged completely and so on, but I'm getting ahead of myself. I noticed about 2 weeks ago that my phone has developed a habit of rebooting randomly. I cant actually point to a "root" cause as I always find out after the fact that my phone has rebooted as my SIM unlock screen is present. Now, fast forward to today. I left my phone charging at work and when I came back downstairs I noticed that my phone was in the process of rebooting when I looked at it. I just wrote it off as a fluke. However, as I was doing my paperwork at my desk, I kept hearing the little Android sound that the phone makes when it reboots..... Over and over again. So I looked at the phone and sure enough, it's in an endless loop of rebooting. It never quite made it too far past the G2x By Google splash screen. After it hung there for a bit, it simply rebooted again.

So after screwing with taking out the battery for a while, plugging it in again and so on, I began the usual Android phone button pressing process in an attempt to boot to recovery mode and hopefully clear the cache. (Apparently that's an HTC thing only) So after holding the Down Vol key and Power, a box with an arrow and and green Android guy popped up. I thought it was a good sign at first. Turns out, it was some sort of soft factory reset!

Most if not all of my Android market Apps came back to their rightful places, however they were missing all of their saved info. Curiously, the phone was still rooted, hence why I said it was a soft reset. I say most apps were restored because I cannot confirm all of my over 200 aps, but, most notably missing was LauncherPro! I don't mean missing as it wasn't popping up as a home option, I mean missing as in not even in the app drawer!

Long story short, I'm going to forgo the process of restoring my settings and previous state. I will however attempt to get all of my apps back and do a Titainum Backup of them all so I can call T-Mobile or return to the store and get the phone replaced. I'm hoping that round 2 of the handsets that should exist now are working better.

Has anyone else had anything else quite like this happen yet?:thinking:

Advertisement

2. themax

themax Newbie
    None

Apr 20, 2011
    I was having the same issue with the reboots the day I purchased it. I am not sure if a certain batch of G2X phones were defective or not, but I did get mine replaced the same day, and have had zero issues with rebooting. I believe part of the issue is when the phone goes to "sleep". Instead of the screen coming back to unlock the phone my phone would simply boot back up. I also tested that with a phone call. My calls would be fine until the phone screen went to sleep, then my call would drop and I had to pull the batter, or wait a few minutes for the phone to restart (pressing or holding the power would do nothing at all).

I think you will have better luck with the replacement.

XXSuntoucherxX likes this.
  3. Crustacean

Crustacean Newbie
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    I got my phone on release day, and ive had 5 or 10 reboots so far, nothing bad. They seem to come when I have a few apps running, and am switching between them rapidly (mainly games). Ive had about this many reboots on every mobile device I've owned. I guess there are just some lemon-phones.

Tags: