• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Went back to stock home page....question

Ive been using GDE for about 6 months and really like it. It offers 7 screens, a rolling cube effect when changing screens and many themes. I use one that is free which makes the screen look much like the HTC Hero acorss the bottom. You can assign the functions for each button as well. It is available from the Market for a buck or two.

I dont have any idea how to get a screen shot while unrooted but here is one in landscape mode of a car mount im modifying to accept a charger.
2010-07-28204953.jpg

Upvote 0
its smooth as hell. i can flick the screen and its like spinning a top as all the screens fly by. there is a setting to control the speed the screens pass by though so dont worry there. Ive used pretty much all of the launchers and have some in my download list i paid for and dont use.

Also keep in mind that if you put an application dock from the stock widgets list on the screen you can drag and drop as many app icons into the dock and then scroll through them. I also purchased an app called Launch-X that does about the same thing but doesnt scroll. you can see it in the pic i posted. the free version limits the number of apps you can load but you can also include contacts in the menu. Its like making your own widget for items you want at the ready without making a mess of the home screen or any other screen you put it on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW3B3gtUADY

Upvote 0
its smooth as hell. i can flick the screen and its like spinning a top as all the screens fly by. there is a setting to control the speed the screens pass by though so dont worry there. Ive used pretty much all of the launchers and have some in my download list i paid for and dont use.

Also keep in mind that if you put an application dock from the stock widgets list on the screen you can drag and drop as many app icons into the dock and then scroll through them. I also purchased an app called Launch-X that does about the same thing but doesnt scroll. you can see it in the pic i posted. the free version limits the number of apps you can load but you can also include contacts in the menu. Its like making your own widget for items you want at the ready without making a mess of the home screen or any other screen you put it on.
YouTube - GDE - The New Home Screen Experience running on Moto Droid

Are the three buttons at the bottom a locked feature of adw? That looks like a lot of wasted screen real estate to me. If I add a row of scroallable widgets, doesn't that also mean I need to keep that widget space clear on all 7 pages?

I'll switch to any launcher that really gives me the most options availabe, being new to all this, but right now launcher pro seems to have the best use of the screen real estate.

Upvote 0
GDE costs a couple bucks. the price is euros so its $3.39. there are other themes that cost money and others that dont, like most everything in the market. The Hero theme im using is a free add on.

The three buttons at the bottom of the screen can be assigned a function of your choice. The one on the lower right i have assigned to my browser so xscope fires up when pushed. by default it is contacts if I recall.

Open Home has a free version with six side docks and seven screens. If you dont want to pay for an app you might give that one a try. I have the paid version but opt for GDE.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones