1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

went from at&t to metropcs cannot use Xiaomi Mi Max properly

Discussion in 'Android Carriers' started by 300ronin, Nov 2, 2017.

1. 300ronin

300ronin Lurker
    None

Nov 2, 2017
    Trying to save money and went from At&t to metroPCS family plan. Everybody got new phones except me as I want to continue using my Xiaomi Mi Max.

However, LTE data does not work and I do not get a signal inside my house. The rest of the family gets signal and data. However I can make calls outside the house.

I'm thinking it's frequency bands. But unsure what is the problem and how to fix. I was told they use 1900Mhz and it list MetroPCS to be compatible with this phone. But I do not know the exact bands that this sim card uses.

From experience, is their a cancellation fee from metropcs if I decide to cancel? I mean I got 4 free phones and I open the account 3 days ago. Would cricket or H2O wireless be better as they work under AtAdn t? I live in NYC.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    You're out of luck with that particular combination of imported China phone and US carrier. And there's nothing you can do about it, apart from going back to using it on AT&T, or other compatible carrier. Yes, it is an issue of 4G frequency bands, basically this Xiaomi doesn't have the ones used by Metro, and 3G is only partial as well, and is probably why it doesn't work in your house on Metro. And there is absolutely nothing you can do about that with this Mi Max.

xiaomi.jpg

https://willmyphonework.net/

#2 mikedt, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Jfalls63 and Dannydet like this.
  3. CaPnK56

CaPnK56 Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2018
    Male
    All phones are imported from China

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Yup...

but there's a big difference between phones that are officially imported by the manufacturers, that are sold and supported by the carriers, to something that was bought online from a Chinese website, was grey imported from China, and isn't fully compatible with the user's carrier, e.g. trying to use a Xiaomi Mi Max with MetroPCS in the US.

#4 mikedt, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018