• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Went from factory to mikg2.5, battery seems horrible.

tropez

Lurker
Aug 25, 2011
I recently installed mikg2.5 instead of my factory install on my 4g, man, the battery seems to go so quick now. I'm not sure if the kernel tweaked the system for higher performance but I feel as if the battery is going dead much sooner now than before. Maybe it's just me.

I recently installed mikg2.5 instead of my factory install on my 4g, man, the battery seems to go so quick now. I'm not sure if the kernel tweaked the system for higher performance but I feel as if the battery is going dead much sooner now than before. Maybe it's just me.

did you flash a kernel, or are you just using the stock one?.....the kernel has a lot to do with battery life....and they all have different results on different phones.....your best bet is to flash different kernels, let them settle in for a day or two and see how the life improves or if it does at all....if you dont see a difference...then move on to the next kernel...

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
There are differences in ROMs and battery life... Not to be a Dick and state the obvious but, A lot may have to do with you rooting then playing on it more than normal... Be sure to install setcpu to see what speed your phone is running at and set up a screen off profile with setcpu... now that you are rooted you can make your phone use just enough battery while its not being used to recieve calls and maintain basic functionality as opposed to full power... Be careful with setcpu though, you can increase your speed with a higher max but go to high and you may be forced into a bootloop and have to reflash your ROM... This makes battery go faster while you use it but it more than makes up for the battery usage with a screen off profile... Mik3d should let you use the more freedom kernel which I really like right now... Tried gold monkey ans had some issues going into a bootloop but haven't had any issues with more freedom....

Also spare parts can be used to see what apps or functions are using your battery so you can see if an app is maybe constantly running and draining you (the screen off profile could prevent thia as well but spare parts can show you where the problem is if thats the case atleast)

Let us know what happens cause I'm curious about this as well

Upvote 0
Folks interested in battery life should look into the Freedom kernels from Lithid. He mentions specifically that his goal was to see just how much battery life he could get.

I am running Freedom 0.8.5 and love it, I also ran More-Freedom 0.8.5 and my battery barely moved for those 2 days on EVOlvedROM. I do have an extended battery though.

I've been holding back from saying this because Ocn is going to call me out on a previous conversation concerning this subject ;)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I tried 2.45 and 2.5, One thing is I think the video works correctly in 720 in those while it doesn't with Mik3d. I don't use that though, nor the hdmi out.

for some reason those combos with eitherGM or morefreedom 8.5 just ate my battery though.

I was getting such good results from 3d, gm and setcpu that I had gone back to my stock battery from extended. partially because it seemed like a waste to have it in only using 1/5 a battery in heavy, for me, daily usage and secondly, the Gorilla cover isn't as easy to remove and is a pain when having to do a battery pull to get to the dinky sd card. So It alarmed me to watch the thing go down when I wasn't even using it. I found some syncing going on i don't remember asking for, but even with turning them off and a screen off profile, just was eating me up.

I didn't really give it a fair test though, I did update the prl and profile, and after I got home and unto wireless, it did stay in the same range the rest of the night.

I swapped back to 3d and today I used it about 3 times as much and had about the same when I got home as I did the day before. I need to try it again I guess. :) been reading the descriptions of all these other roms and kernels and mods and themes and I'm like a kid in a candy store. I'll be 55 in a few days, crazy i still get like that. My wife accuses me of breaking stuff just so i can fix it though, but it really isn't true. :p

To explain my Voice search obsession, we were in Colorado at a family reunion when I got the Evo. I am used to using the voice search combined with maps and navigation and web to help me decide where i am and where I want to go whilst driving down the road with my Moment. The gps on the Evo seems to latch on instantaneously, and that big beautiful fast screen, I was looking forward to exploring my surroundings when my wife took over driving. I went to voice search and talked to it and it just didn't work... wth? I pulled out the Moment, and same conditions, like magic, it worked like a top. I tried various 'fixes' folks had posted in different forums, and nothing worked, then I read, and seem to understand, that it USED to work, until a recent upgrade. Then I found out that due to that same upgrade, we had to wait for root.

So, y'all got the root thing going, now i want to see the voice thing work like it should, then I want to see a final release on 3d and I will mess with something else for a while, like painting the house or remodeling the bathroom... with just a little flashing once in a while to keep me from going in to withdrawal. :p

Upvote 0
I've also noticed that 2.5 drops the first 10-15% quickly, but the rest lasts forever. Off charge at 8am, 85% at 10, almost 8pm now and still have 68%. Moderate use. Wifi on all day even not at home.

Thats because when you charge your battery to 100% its not ACTUALLY at 100% even though it says it is.....a full battery charge actually starts at 85% to 90%....thats why you see that drastic drop very quickly...so technically when your judging rom and kernel combinations for the best battery life, you shouldnt actually start monitoring it until your phone gets down to around 90%

here is more info about SBC if your interested in reading it....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=909763

Reactions: i.have.droid
Upvote 0
well i'm glad it is working for you. but the more freedom was not very good on my phone. i'm on the chop suey kernel right now. and it is pretty decent. i just flashed it so its to early to tell.

Not very good as in battery or performance? Cause More freedom did not like my phone performance wise on Sense 3.0 roms, but Freedom does great. I think its like Lithid says if you want the extra performance you gotta pay the piper, and 3.0 roms tend to be heavy on the CPU.

Also you should try out the 0.8.5 kernels if you have not yet. If you were overclocking on older versions it was still undervolting the OC speeds and would cause stability issues (as per Lithid).

Upvote 0
Not very good as in battery or performance? Cause More freedom did not like my phone performance wise on Sense 3.0 roms, but Freedom does great. I think its like Lithid says if you want the extra performance you gotta pay the piper, and 3.0 roms tend to be heavy on the CPU.

Also you should try out the 0.8.5 kernels if you have not yet. If you were overclocking on older versions it was still undervolting the OC speeds and would cause stability issues (as per Lithid).

i was on more aggressive, but i do need to try the other freedoms as well. i just wanted to try the chop suey kernel. and it was battery life. performance was great.

Upvote 0
i was on more aggressive, but i do need to try the other freedoms as well. i just wanted to try the chop suey kernel. and it was battery life. performance was great.

I'm running Freedom 0.8.5 with SetCPU 1152/256 Smartass, and absolutely loving the blazing speed im getting from any rom i run with it.

I must admit with these settings battery life isn't as good as more-freedom or GM1.1 was. I'm getting about 50% after 6-8 hours heavy use*. I surmise this will give me about 14-18 hours of heavy use before a recharge is needed, but I never spend that long away from a power plug.

I am also running the 3500mAH Seido so this gives me a bit more room to push for performance at the expense of battery life.

*Literally my phone gets to screen off for about 5-10 minutes at most per hour, and I tether heavily.

Upvote 0
@lubberlick Can you explain the difference in scaling types... with more freedom I just swotched to smartass because i saw you.were getting great battery life so I'm tryong it amd im about 2 hours i dropped from 65 to 60 where with ondemand I dropped from a full charge to 65 in 3 hours with about the same usage. im overclocked to 1136 but notice a lag on my keyboard with smartass that wasn't there before with ondemand, but i can live with it if the battery difference is significant

I just wanna know what is different between the scaling options though?

Upvote 0
What is your favorite kernel so far?

so far chop suey 9.1 though the freedom kernel was pretty good as well. the main thing really with kernels is that they react differently to different phones. so you need to just try them and see how they are on your phone. always make a nandroid backup and flash away.

Upvote 0
@lubberlick Can you explain the difference in scaling types... with more freedom I just swotched to smartass because i saw you.were getting great battery life so I'm tryong it amd im about 2 hours i dropped from 65 to 60 where with ondemand I dropped from a full charge to 65 in 3 hours with about the same usage. im overclocked to 1136 but notice a lag on my keyboard with smartass that wasn't there before with ondemand, but i can live with it if the battery difference is significant

Honestly the intricacy of the scaling options is a bit over my head. What I can tell you though is that Lithid made several versions of his Freedom kernel. You can find all the different versions by visiting his thread here.

[Kernel][Sense]Evo 4g Freedom-v0.8.5 Kernel GB MR 2.6.35.10 - xda-developers

One thing to note is that I overclock my PC and have a bit of an understanding of how overclocking and voltage in general works. If you undervolt your CPU you will use less power obviously but you will also have less stability as a result.

The best way to think about voltage is a radio signal. If the radio signal is weak you will have static in the music provided which might make it listenable there will be performance hits. Typically on a PC when you overclock you increase voltages to try and "clean up the signal" so that stability remains intact.

3D roms are going to use a bit more horsepower to get the job done then non-3D roms. Without overclocking on these roms I notice a bit of lag from time to time, that I don't get while overclocked. My experience so far is that running 3D roms requires overclocking to be successful and overclocking still works best without undervolting.

All that said try the Freedom 0.8.5 Kernel with smartass and overclocking. You should be able to get the stability you want and a reasonably amount of battery life. Also keep in mind that battery life 100%-90% does not really exist and you should only check battery usage from 90% or lower. But that is another topic.

Reactions: Yeh Im Legit
Upvote 0

CPU governors control exactly how the CPU scales between your "max" and "min" set frequencies. Most kernels have "ondemand" and "performance."

ondemand - Available in most kernels, and the default governor in most kernels. When the CPU load reaches a certain point (see "up threshold" in Advanced Settings), ondemand will rapidly scale the CPU up to meet demand, then gradually scale the CPU down when it isn't needed.
conservative - Available in some kernels. It is similar to the ondemand governor, but will scale the CPU up more gradually to better fit demand. Conservative provides a less responsive experience than ondemand, but can save battery.

performance - Available in most kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "max" set value at all times. This is a bit more efficient than simply setting "max" and "min" to the same value and using ondemand because the system will not waste resources scanning for the CPU load. This governor is recommended for stable benchmarking.

powersave - Available in some kernels. It will keep the CPU running at the "min" set value at all times.

userspace- A method for controlling the CPU speed that isn't currently used by SetCPU. For best results, do not use the userspace governor.

this was taken from the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/210253-setcpu-guide.html

Reactions: Yeh Im Legit
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones