• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Went to swap for an EVO; Couldn't pull the trigger

mynewandroid

Sep 16, 2010
I went to Sprint yesterday with the idea of returning my EPIC for an EVO. My biggest complaint with the phone is the slider mechanism and keyboard. I don't use it often enough to "need it" and I thought it would be nice to have the EVO's bigger screen. However, I could not pull the trigger. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS AS A FLAME ON THE EVO. I think it is a great phone too, but here are my reasons for keeping the EPIC.

#1 The Screen -- The EVO looks so washed out compared to the EPIC. It is night and day to me. When I looked at the EVO a few months ago I thought the display looked nice, but after having the EPIC for a month it would be tough to give up the AMOLED screen.

#2 Lag -- The EVO suffers from a lot of lag when swiping and scrolling in the web browser. There is also lag when going in and out of the phone dialer. The demo unit did not have the new HTC FPS update so I don't know how much better it will be after the update.

#3 Phone Dialer -- Yes, I actually use this thing as a phone quite a bit! I think the Samsung interface looks and feels a lot slicker. I also like that the EPIC Mute and Speakerphone buttons are always active during a call. I believe you have to press the menu button during a call to get them up on the EVO.

#4 Size -- The EVO is not much bigger, but the squared edges just make the phone seem less comfortable in my hand and pocket. It is just a hair to big for me. Also, the volume rockers on the EVO are plastic and feel cheap. Not enough spring action in them.

#5 Camera -- From the sample photos I have seen on the web the EPIC has the better lens. Also like having the panoramic shooting mode on the EPIC. Very Cool! The dedicated camera button is also a plus.

#6 Touch Wiz/Sense -- Everyone craps on Touchwiz, but I like it. I find it much easier to find apps scrolling page to page rather than one huge long list of apps like HTC Sense. The EVO's stock messaging app with green and white colors looks blah to me when compared to Touchwiz black and blue.

#7 4G Connection -- It takes the EVO 20-30 seconds to connect to 4G here in FL. The EPIC is usually 10 seconds or less for me. I also like being able to Toggle Wifi/4G in the notification bar on the EPIC.

#8 Notification LED Size/Color -- I like the EPIC

I like the Epic for most of the same reasons. The EVO is still a great phone though. I'm going to be really upset when I have to move away from the Epic (probably not for a while) and I have to settle for a lesser screen. Hopefully Samsung can keep making great phones (and continue to support them). I really love their screen technology.

Upvote 0
Sense UI and widgets is so much better than Touchwiz, it's the biggest thing I miss from my EVO. As for the LED Notification, at least it worked on my EVO.. that's been the most fustrating thing to deal with my Epic (aside from battery life of course).

But I do agree Samsung really nailed phone app and notification system. Going to unread texts straight from the lockscreen = win

Upvote 0
You can mute from the dialer screen while on the phone with the evo. That's a sense feature.
The Evo is an awesome phone and is even better since 2.2 and from the recent update.
I personally use the epic since it's more so what i want in a phone. I always wanted a physical keyboard with a big screen and all the other stuff it has.
It just comes down to personal likings. It is a hard choice though.

Upvote 0
I own both. I like both. My main need is a hard keyboard so that's the clincher. I like the cleaner UI on the Evo along with the nicer email and messaging apps. I like the dialer on the epic much better and the ignore w/txt msg. I feel my pictures are better on the Epic, and I've used the panorama mode quite a bit too. I think touchwiz looks ugly. Don't care for the wanna be iphone look tht seems to extend to the top bar. Thank god for launcher pro. And the notification toggles are nice as well. Wish a 3g one was there.

Upvote 0
dbpaddler and Kelmar - how did you guys end up with both also? Do you have two lines? :)
I own both... but the EVO is not activated anymore. My original plan was to give my fiance my EVO when I bought the Epic. She liked it at first... but she got insanely jealous of my Epic and wanted one of those too. So I bought another Epic and now my EVO sits around collecting dust. I pull it out from time to time to show people how bad the screen is compared to the Epic's :D

Upvote 0
I don't say this often, but I agree with everything dbpaddler just wrote.

If I didn't need the keyboard, I might have gone with the Evo. Our SAMOLED makes me glad I didn't, but Sense, the hardware and the polish of the Evo experience rather makes me wish I had.

But if I had, I'd be fiending for the Epic's satisfying keyboard and would write a lot less on the train.

Samsung excels at individual aspects of the Epic -- screen, keyboard, processor, dignified piano-reminiscent hardware design -- just as they do in their laptops and netbooks. They're never going to be a company that lingers lovingly on every aspect of hardware/software integration as HTC does. That's why the Evo's for purists of presentation and the Epic's for compulsive writers, geeks and nerds. (Sadly, I fit into all three categories!)

I like both. My main need is a hard keyboard so that's the clincher. I like the cleaner UI on the Evo along with the nicer email and messaging apps. I like the dialer on the epic much better and the ignore w/txt msg. I feel my pictures are better on the Epic, and I've used the panorama mode quite a bit too. I think touchwiz looks ugly. Don't care for the wanna be iphone look tht seems to extend to the top bar. Thank god for launcher pro. And the notification toggles are nice as well. Wish a 3g one was there.

Upvote 0
I don't say this often, but I agree with everything dbpaddler just wrote.

If I didn't need the keyboard, I might have gone with the Evo. Our SAMOLED makes me glad I didn't, but Sense, the hardware and the polish of the Evo experience rather makes me wish I had.

But if I had, I'd be fiending for the Epic's satisfying keyboard and would write a lot less on the train.

Samsung excels at individual aspects of the Epic -- screen, keyboard, processor, dignified piano-reminiscent hardware design -- just as they do in their laptops and netbooks. They're never going to be a company that lingers lovingly on every aspect of hardware/software integration as HTC does. That's why the Evo's for purists of presentation and the Epic's for compulsive writers, geeks and nerds. (Sadly, I fit into all three categories!)

yes.. that is the opinion that i have formed from what I have read. and my experience with HERO and Moment.
this is how I see it =

Samsung = muscle
HTC = finesse

Upvote 0
I have a few lines. Manage our work account. Have a spare line as well as two people with basic phones where I can get them a new phone on ebay or CL chap and save the upgrade for ones that need it. Had a source for cheap BB's too so I gave them to new people and used their upgrade for others. In my stable I have an Epic, Evo, Pre, Moment, 2 Heroes and just gave my Pixi to someone for the one Hero. I might pick up one of the wp7 phones to compare when the time comes and if it has a real keyboard.
dbpaddler and Kelmar - how did you guys end up with both also? Do you have two lines? :)

Upvote 0
I have a few lines. Manage our work account. Have a spare line as well as two people with basic phones where I can get them a new phone on ebay or CL chap and save the upgrade for ones that need it. Had a source for cheap BB's too so I gave them to new people and used their upgrade for others. In my stable I have an Epic, Evo, Pre, Moment, 2 Heroes and just gave my Pixi to someone for the one Hero. I might pick up one of the wp7 phones to compare when the time comes and if it has a real keyboard.
Very nice, I like the way you think! :D

Upvote 0
I had the Evo for about a month and experienced it before and after the froyo update. I am so looking forward to that day for the Epic. If the Epic wasn't coming out I would be totally happy with the evo.

I'm keeping the Epic, especially with the 3g cap issue being resolved. The workaround for GPS is fine because I don't use it that much.

Upvote 0
i went from iphone 3gs to captivate to iphone 4 to blackberry torch to xperia x10 to dell streak to evo and now finally to the epic 4g. lol thats within a months time. im really choosy about a phone and i have found that the epic 4g is the keeper. i liked the evo but the battery life royally stinks on it. i was only getting 4 hours out of a charge. ughh drives me nuts lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones