• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Went to the VZW store today....

sx4dude2013

Android Expert
Jul 15, 2010
Georgia
I went to VZW to play with the Nexus and the Rezound today. I purchased a Nexus online and it should be here Wednesday. I just wanted to know what to expect.

The main issue I noticed is major screen burn in.
I went to Google homepage and I saw burnt in images of the homescreen.
I tried to snap a pic on my shitty blackberry....
heres what I saw...It NEVER went away.

Is there a way to avoid this? I wont be able to use my Nexus if its like that...IDEAS?

Did you get a display model or something? Burn-in like that doesn't happen unless you keep your screen on the same image for hours. Regular burn-in would be a slightly blueish tint where the notification and menu bar are that's visible when viewing a full-screen white image.. it's usually not very noticeable.

EDIT: woops, misread.. thought that you meant that was on the phone you bought!

Upvote 0
Did you get a display model or something? Burn-in like that doesn't happen unless you keep your screen on the same image for hours. Regular burn-in would be a slightly blueish tint where the notification and menu bar are that's visible when viewing a full-screen white image.. it's usually not very noticeable.

EDIT: woops, misread.. thought that you meant that was on the phone you bought!

So do you have burin in on your phone at the top?
I will try to keep the display brightness low and keep the timeout settings short.
Hope I dont have any issues...

Upvote 0
AMOLED is new technology. Just like plasma when it was young, AMOLED isn't perfect. And just like plasma, use your phone as normal and you shouldn't have issues. Plasma is the best TV display tech now, but it had issues in the beginning. AMOLED will get better as the technology matures.

Huh? It isn't too new. The first phone I remember it being used in is the Nexus One; which is 2 years old now. I'm not sure if this burn in was an issue on earlier AMOLED displays though. I can say that I've definitely noticed it on my Galaxy Nexus, esp. when using it on low brightness levels. Though it's only noticeable for a few seconds, then dissipates. I don't see it at all on max brightness.

OP, I wouldn't worry about it though unless you plan on having your display on almost 24/7 like that display unit probably was.

Upvote 0
This was probably just a display model and was probably left with not timeout and was probably on the homescreen or something for hours and hours. Just like plasma tvs. You can't have a show paused or anything for like an hour or anything or else it will burn into the screen and you'll always be able to see it. I wouldn't worry about that happening to your phone if you use it like a normal phone.

Upvote 0
This was probably just a display model and was probably left with not timeout and was probably on the homescreen or something for hours and hours. Just like plasma tvs. You can't have a show paused or anything for like an hour or anything or else it will burn into the screen and you'll always be able to see it. I wouldn't worry about that happening to your phone if you use it like a normal phone.

This is it exactly. The display phones at retail stores have their screens on the whole time the store is open, every day, and unless someone is standing there playing with them, they sit on the same homescreen for 12-14 hours every day.

It's a pretty extreme case that would be hard to duplicate on a phone you actually use.

Upvote 0
This is it exactly. The display phones at retail stores have their screens on the whole time the store is open, every day, and unless someone is standing there playing with them, they sit on the same homescreen for 12-14 hours every day.

It's a pretty extreme case that would be hard to duplicate on a phone you actually use.

Great!
That is exactly what I wanted to hear!
Cant wait to get it on Wed. Hope its everything im hoping for..."perfection" :)

Upvote 0
It should be mentioned that there is a certain amount of ghosting that can occur with these screens. It kind of looks like the e-ink on the nook or kindle sometimes. I've seen it happen on a few different phones with AMOLED screens. It typically isn't burn in and goes away once the the screen is changed again. Not a big deal and most people never even notice it. I'm not saying that is what is happening with the display model you were looking at, but it is a possibility.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones