1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root were can I get GingerVillain 1.4

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by atmasters, Feb 13, 2011.

1. atmasters

atmasters Android Enthusiast

I am running LeeDroid right now and running on Launcher Pro and would like to try GingerVillain 4 is it stable and worth getting right now our should I wait ? And if someone is getting good results on there Desire can I get a link to were I can down load it ?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

GV is at 1.0, not 1.4. You can get it from here.

Plenty of us using it without problems, but it's always a good idea to read the thread (certainly the last few days) to get an idea of different people's experiences - remember that problems are more likely to be reported/discussed than successes. Also read the first couple of posts in the thread to know what needs to be done to install and set up the ROM (there is at least one unusual feature of this one).

atmasters likes this.
  3. Staggers

Staggers Well-Known Member

atmasters likes this.
  4. atmasters

well got it on my phone but it has not loaded up yet I have been on the main HTC start screen seems like forever ?? Hope this works

5. atmasters

Well that went all wrong lol. I could not get it to boot up. Well back to LeeDroid for now thanks for the help.

6. Hadron

VIP Member

How long did you wait? First boot of a new ROM can be very slow.

If it was > 20 minutes something probably was wrong, but 10 minutes is quite possible.

7. deanshep85

deanshep85 Android Expert

god yea 10 minutes is right when I flashed my first Leedroid back in december....god I thought I had right royally screwed the phone lol

8. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

What wipes did you do?

9. turbohobbit

turbohobbit Android Enthusiast

I used GV 0.8 and 0.9 for a while and found it to be a highly satisfactory ROM. The only reason I moved back to DeFroST 6.1 is that I use the the phone's GPS through CoPilot and Endomondo a lot and neither piece of software (yet) supports Gingerbread so I was getting wonky performance. I may give it a little bit more time and try again, although I suspect if HTC don't get round to rolling 2.3 out onto the Desire CoPilot at least will never work. (I've already had a long "discussion" with CoPilot Tech support on this issue but they seem immovable on the subject).

To be honest, if it wasn't for that, I'd be using GV even now.

10. deanshep85

well I just fired up Endomondo (free) and it worked fine on the new 1.0 GingerVillain.

11. turbohobbit

Really?!? Every time I did a run with it while I was using GV it lost GPS contact evey few minutes. In the end 7 mile runs we coming in at nearer 4, which narked me a bit! Hmmm, wondering if Endomondo have got themselves sorted...

Even so, the CoPilot issue is a bit of a bugger...

12. deanshep85

actually what you described there happened to me with an old Nokia 5800 and there sports tracker software...damn it was good..but every so often it would cut a mile or so off your journey...THOUGH on their website it would still show the entire of your journey on the map system....but the figures would be wrong lol

13. turbohobbit

:) Well I plan on going for a run tomorrow and again on Thursday or Friday. I'll try Endomondo a few time on DeFroST 6.1 just to make sure normal service has been resumed, then I may flip over to GV 1.0 to see if it works on there.

14. atmasters

I did a full data wipe and catch and the other catch (sorry cant remember the name) and I waited for over a half hour maybe longer. it said it failed just before I booted dont even know why I tried. Maybe I need to be walked threw it but thought I did it right..

15. Hadron

VIP Member

Sounds ok. And you have an a2sd partition? Not that I'm certain that is needed.

Only other thing I can think of is was the zip ok? Can you run an md5 checking tool and compare the output to the value in the xda thread? I think InfernalByte's sign has a link to a windows tool - on a Mac you just open a terminal and type "md5 filename", and I've not tried on Linux but I expect most distros have something.

16. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

sounds like no a2sd partition or corrupt zip to me

either that or the wipe wasnt successful

17. atmasters

I do have my sd card partitioned for Leedroid will it still be partitioned after I wipe everything ? Sorry but this will be the first Rom I will be installing after I rooted my phone so still very new at this. Is it easier to use Rom Manager ?

18. Hadron

VIP Member

Wiping the phone won't remove the partition. It will erase apps from the ext partition, same as it will from internal memory, but the partition will still be there.

Personally I don't think it is easier to use ROM manager - it's just one more thing that can introduce problems.