• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

We're screwed. 2GB is the threshold for so called "network optimization/throttling"

I can't believe anybody considers monthly data usage warranting measurement in Gigabytes to be "normal". Since I got my OG Droid around launch day, I've NEVER had more than 300MB of data usage in a single month.

Same here.. I was tracking it thinking I was pushing the limits, but it has averaged in the 300s.

Two Gbytes seems quite generous to me.

Upvote 0
Same here.. I was tracking it thinking I was pushing the limits, but it has averaged in the 300s.

Two Gbytes seems quite generous to me.

For now.... and no offense..

But what generation are guys in? Into personal experience the younger the generation the more avid the user on a general basis. I have been and always will be a tech head but remember ..

The power user of today is the generic user of tomorrow. For instance everyone laughed 7 years ago when I had my brick of an HTC mogul and a data plan...

Upvote 0
Since I took my Galaxy Tab off the data plan and went wifi only on it, the usage dropped from the high 300s to the low 300s.

Now I've got tethering on my Droid 3 data plan, the only device on Verizon, and I expect it to rise again a bit.. but looking at the data usage from a few hours here and there as a wifi hot spot or cabled tethering, I don't think it'll go up by much.

My kids are 19, 30 and 32 and their data usage seems to hang in the 700 Mb range (Sprint Windows 7 phone, X and Droid 2 respectively).

Upvote 0
my billing cycle ends in 2 days and so far I have used 670mb's of data. And I'm always on my phone on facebook, downloading aps, streaming audio. Sometimes on wifi, sometimes on 3g. I actually actively tried to hit 2gb's last month by streaming pandora and MLB games most days all over 3g and still just barely hit 2gb. I think I ended at 2.1 gb's in august. So yeah, dunno what to tell you guys that use 6gb a month, other than maybe watch movies on your tv and not your phone??

Upvote 0
my billing cycle ends in 2 days and so far I have used 670mb's of data. And I'm always on my phone on facebook, downloading aps, streaming audio. Sometimes on wifi, sometimes on 3g. I actually actively tried to hit 2gb's last month by streaming pandora and MLB games most days all over 3g and still just barely hit 2gb. I think I ended at 2.1 gb's in august. So yeah, dunno what to tell you guys that use 6gb a month, other than maybe watch movies on your tv and not your phone??

right now a considerable account of data for me is coming from google music. I do tether my tablet as well.

Upvote 0

Heck if I know. I rarely use pandora (maybe 20 minutes a month), maybe 30 minutes worth of youtube, and forums/facebook. No movies, no tethering, nothing unusual. No facebook games.

Upvote 0
I like how they state 95% of data users consume under 2MB, yet the top 5% will be throttled. So this means anyone using over 2MB can potentially be throttled. I call BS on these figures, maybe instead of saying "data" users, they should list the real numbers of "smartphone" users. Because technically, anyone with a dumb phone who logs into mobile web once a month to check their balance is a "data" user.

I love how they push these phones saying listen to music, watch youtube, stream netflix anywhere you go, yet only do it a few times a month or we'll have to reign your ass in. Some people don't live in big metropolitan areas and don't have open wifi around every corner, so do more on their phones over 3G. With these low limits, you end up with a smartphone that has crippled internet.

And anyone who tries to say that 2GB is a lot of data, needs to get out of the last decade and join us here today. Considering that streaming video is generally anywhere from 1MB to 5MB/minute, you can only watch about 10-17hours for the entire month at the 2GB cap. And that is if you do NO other data usage, no app downloads, websites, emails, google voice/skype calls. Sure that seems like a lot of time to sit watching your phone, but how many hours do ya think a person could burn up if their house for some reason lost power for a day or two?

2GB is just plain idiotic, it's only there because it's the only way they can justify milking people for more money they shouldn't have to spend. If anything make the limit something a bit more reasonable like 10-15GB. What good is all this new technology coming out, when these service providers try to continually hold it back with their archaic limitations.

For example, you have a smart phone with hdmi out. You go buy a Showwx that said phone can hook up to. Now you have an ultra portable 30"+ projection TV you can use to stream Netflix anywhere you go, especially that boring camping trip you agreed to go on.

And before you tell me to just find wifi, I personally don't go over this limit as I really don't go that far from my home, but I have always detested limitations like these. Companies try to make it seem like data is expensive, when it isn't, and the sheeple just take it up the rear willingly. It's sad that I can use 600GB/mo on my home internet with no complaints, but going over 2GB on my phone is crippling the network. Yet my phones cost us 4x what the home line does. I honestly don't even know what we're paying the $180/mo for on our plan, cause it definitely isn't to make phone calls since voice coverage is terrible here.

Upvote 0
I can't believe anybody considers monthly data usage warranting measurement in Gigabytes to be "normal". Since I got my OG Droid around launch day, I've NEVER had more than 300MB of data usage in a single month.

I never use wifi because it is just not around. I don't also don't have internet access, or a computer at home.

I do everything you do on your computer or tablet, on my phone. Bills, forums, booking hotels and flights, music, email, etc. My device Is used as a GPS as well.

I'm sure if i had a laptop, home wifi, and computer access at work I could stay at 300 MB too!

It's great that you guys all have WiFi at home and work, and internet access at both. Personally, I don't and I got this phone specifically for internet use. I was getting tired of going to the library (which is open 4 days a week) for anything I needed to do online.

But I have unlimited data, or I did when I first got a smartphone so I never had to think about my usage.

It's a reason I may go back to BlackBerry. I never went over 2Gb on it because BIS compresses data. Plus the browser is crap on those things so I used the ole library Pc instead.

Upvote 0
I never use wifi because it is just not around. I don't also don't have internet access, or a computer at home.

I do everything you do on your computer or tablet, on my phone. Bills, forums, booking hotels and flights, music, email, etc. My device Is used as a GPS as well.

I'm sure if i had a laptop, home wifi, and computer access at work I could stay at 300 MB too!

I have home wifi, and always have Wifi on at home.

But I'm not at home ALL DAY. I still use 5-6 gigs a month. I don't have Wifi at work. And I don't trust public wifi hotspots. (none of you should trust public wifi.. seriously.)

Pub-wifi is good in a pinch, but if I have a more secure medium (which I'm paying for) why the hell wouldn't I use it?

So even people who do have all those things you listed, still can still use a big amount of data.

Upvote 0
Agreed. In my town, McDonald's has WiFi. That's about it. Ill be damned if im going to sit in that hell hole so I use less data.

Im seriously getting fed up with VZW.

I was considwring going back to BlackBerry, an old one. I have an ad up here to trade my Bolt for an old Blackberry 9650 plus cash.

I figured then i would get a blackberry Playbook and bridge It for my Internet use. Sounds good. But doesn't bridged data show as blackberry device data? If so, that would be throttled too.

Upvote 0
First off, I didn't make the rules, or the changes to vzw's system. I was not and still am not a fan of the tiered data. I am grandfathered with unlimited, but I'm about to lose it to get my agent line through vzw. Its a crappy trade off, as I didn't want to lose unlimited, but honestly, I get a line for $10 a month, so why wouldn't I?

"only 10-17 hours of video" Only 10-17 hours???!?!? really? Thats a lot of time to be watching video on a 4 inch screen isn't it? I use my phone to show people youtube clips or whatever, and occasionally watch an episode of the soprano's on my phone when I'm bored, but that doesn't happen often.

But, speaking from experience, that experience being dealing with 100's of vzw customers a month, and I still have yet to see anyone over 5gb's of data on ANY device. I do NOT live in a major metropolitan area and wifi is NOT available everywhere here, and I still haven't seen anyone with the usage that some of you are describing, which leads me to believe that vzw was 100% truthfull in their representation that only 5% use more than 2 gb's. 0% in my area, at my store use more than 2gb's. So honestly, if thats how you use your phone thats fine, I'm not knocking you. But should I have to deal with slower speeds on my phone because you decide to watch 17hours of video per month on your phone? Is it fair to me, who pays the same amount for data to get slower speeds on the off chance I decide to download something or stream a video once or twice a month when you do it all the time? No its not, and that is why this policy is in place.

And heres the real kicker, there is NOT a carrier in the US that doesn't or won't throttle. Sprint has announced they will this fall. So I guess you don't really have a choice other than to curb your usage a little bit eh?

Upvote 0
It really seems like VZW and the other carriers treat our data plans like we are just paying them for the priviledge of access. It sucks for the folks that sign up now for a 4G plan and even think about using Netflix, Slingbox, GPS Nav, Pandora etc...... along with emails and casual browsing.

Or, they low-balled the limit to 2GB on purpose, then they can come in and act like they are doing something for the little people if they raise the cap to 5GB.

Upvote 0
Apparently reading skills are not something required to sell phones.

I said 10-17 hours IF ALL you do is watch video, that's not including downloading ANYTHING else. So figure you watch something during lunch, that will get you about 20 work days (10 if you have an hour break) with the minimum of 10 hours of video, but ya can't download anything on the weekends. Got an hour long commute and you wanna kill time? That drastically cuts that number down even more.

I'm guessing you also completely missed the fact that a lot of newer phones have video out, so you're not limited to watching on that little 4" screen if you don't want to. As I stated, there are devices out now that you can plug your phone into and watch on a fairly large projected display pretty much anywhere you want to.

Try to spin it all you want, the reason this policy is in place is NOT to stop people from "slowing down your data". It is in place so the wireless companies can milk as much cash as they can for no good reason. It's funny that you don't see the same argument towards people on unlimited voice plans that they should stop talking 50+ hours a month cause it screws up everyone else's calls. The voice frequencies and bandwidth are just as limited as data after all. But no, data is the new desirable commodity, so they have to act like it's scarce. Pretend it's in short supply to charge a premium. Wired ISPs pull this stunt all the time, with huge backlash every time.

But at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter how much anyone complains. These companies are so big they can pretty much do whatever they want and there's nothing you can do about it. Cell prices in this country are insane compared to other parts of the world, with crappier service overall to boot. And they can get away with this because all they gotta do is dump some cash the government's way and continue to overcharge the population. They know cellphones are basically a necessity at this point, and we'll pay whatever we have to to keep them.

Upvote 0

I said 10-17 hours IF ALL you do is watch video, that's not including downloading ANYTHING else. So figure you watch something during lunch, that will get you about 20 work days (10 if you have an hour break) with the minimum of 10 hours of video, but ya can't download anything on the weekends. Got an hour long commute and you wanna kill time? That drastically cuts that number down even more.

I'm guessing you also completely missed the fact that a lot of newer phones have video out, so you're not limited to watching on that little 4" screen if you don't want to. As I stated, there are devices out now that you can plug your phone into and watch on a fairly large projected display pretty much anywhere you want to.

Try to spin it all you want, the reason this policy is in place is NOT to stop people from "slowing down your data". It is in place so the wireless companies can milk as much cash as they can for no good reason. It's funny that you don't see the same argument towards people on unlimited voice plans that they should stop talking 50+ hours a month cause it screws up everyone else's calls. The voice frequencies and bandwidth are just as limited as data after all. But no, data is the new desirable commodity, so they have to act like it's scarce. Pretend it's in short supply to charge a premium. Wired ISPs pull this stunt all the time, with huge backlash every time.

But at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter how much anyone complains. These companies are so big they can pretty much do whatever they want and there's nothing you can do about it. Cell prices in this country are insane compared to other parts of the world, with crappier service overall to boot. And they can get away with this because all they gotta do is dump some cash the government's way and continue to overcharge the population. They know cellphones are basically a necessity at this point, and we'll pay whatever we have to to keep them.

I won't. I've cancelled Netflix, Sirius, AAA, credit cards etc all because of rate hikes with no value being added.

I'd just as easily cancel my VZW contract, get a pre paid cell and go back to using free internet.

Reactions: HookEmHorns*UT*
Upvote 0
First off, I didn't make the rules, or the changes to vzw's system. I was not and still am not a fan of the tiered data. I am grandfathered with unlimited, but I'm about to lose it to get my agent line through vzw. Its a crappy trade off, as I didn't want to lose unlimited, but honestly, I get a line for $10 a month, so why wouldn't I?

"only 10-17 hours of video" Only 10-17 hours???!?!? really? Thats a lot of time to be watching video on a 4 inch screen isn't it? I use my phone to show people youtube clips or whatever, and occasionally watch an episode of the soprano's on my phone when I'm bored, but that doesn't happen often.

But, speaking from experience, that experience being dealing with 100's of vzw customers a month, and I still have yet to see anyone over 5gb's of data on ANY device. I do NOT live in a major metropolitan area and wifi is NOT available everywhere here, and I still haven't seen anyone with the usage that some of you are describing, which leads me to believe that vzw was 100% truthfull in their representation that only 5% use more than 2 gb's. 0% in my area, at my store use more than 2gb's. So honestly, if thats how you use your phone thats fine, I'm not knocking you. But should I have to deal with slower speeds on my phone because you decide to watch 17hours of video per month on your phone? Is it fair to me, who pays the same amount for data to get slower speeds on the off chance I decide to download something or stream a video once or twice a month when you do it all the time? No its not, and that is why this policy is in place.

And heres the real kicker, there is NOT a carrier in the US that doesn't or won't throttle. Sprint has announced they will this fall. So I guess you don't really have a choice other than to curb your usage a little bit eh?

I would think it over before dropping your grandfathered unlimited plan for an employee line.

Yeah, it's an awesome plan...while you work there. I had the VZW employee plan for a few years and loved it.

But how long will you be working there? Is It worth saving $60/month for a year or two but losing unlimited data in the long run?

Upvote 0
I would think it over before dropping your grandfathered unlimited plan for an employee line.

Yeah, it's an awesome plan...while you work there. I had the VZW employee plan for a few years and loved it.

But how long will you be working there? Is It worth saving $60/month for a year or two but losing unlimited data in the long run?

well, its a grand total of $25 per month, vs $90. Yeah, big difference. And yes, its shaping up like a career move more than anything else. I'm up for a big promotion (crosses fingers) and at that point would have a company phone anyways. So my personal phone might as well be on the agent line as I won't be using it much anyways. And again, I don't use over 2gb's. The only time I even came close was when I was actively trying to, and I just barely surpassed the mark, so honestly, in my case, it makes perfect sense to switch over.

Upvote 0

Thats quite a manifesto there, did you remember your tinfoil hat too? lol.

Listen man, if I missed a word or two in your diatrabe, I apologize. No matter which way you slice it, 10-17 hours of video is a lot of time to be watching video on your phone right? Yes. Of course I realize that a few of the newer phones have HDMI out. Seeing as how I've worked in other sectors of retail (big box retailer for 8+ years) I would find it pretty strange that you have a television with HDMI, meaning its a Hi-def tv set, with no other video source hooked up to it. Not to mention, no active internet connection. I'm really not trying to start an argument or pissing match at all, but lets be real. I'm not towing the company line by saying the things I said. I spoke and still speak, the truth.

Its not some huge conspiracy against you, or me, the end user, to throttle data. How long have you had a smartphone? I've had one for a while now, over a year, and I've noticed a huge slow down in data speeds. Why is that? Because there is a lot more congestion on the system, even in my sparsly populated area. Over the summer google released a statement saying there were something like 500,000 android devices activated daily. While not every single one of them is on verizon, a good portion are. The more people using it, the more it slows down. If there is someone who is using way more bandwidth than someone else (we will use you and me as an example here). You use 6gb's of data per month. I use around 1. You are using more bandwidth than me right? Should I have to have a slower connection because you decide to use more data? No. I pay the same amount as you right? Yes, I do.

Its not a conspiracy, believe me. Network Congestion is a very real thing. VZW has been making a big push to get consumers to switch to a smartphone, and it has worked. My store consistantly sells about 75% smartphones. Thats a huge percentage and thinking for a second that network congestion doesn't happen is just complete stupidity to be brutally honest. There will also be a push soon to get people to get 4g phones to offer relief to the 3g network. Mark my words, you will see a special promo for early upgrades or whatever soon, to get a 4g device.

As far as all the money that is being made, yes, you are right, they are making money. Thats the point of any business is it not? Pizza hut is in business to make money, as is McDonalds right? Why is it different for vzw? Its not. Now also consider the fact that vzw is in the process of a HUGE network rollout. Yeah, that whole LTE thing, I'm sure you have heard of it. 200 million people will be covered by the LTE network by the end of the year. It has been rapidly expanding and will continue to do so until the entire 3g network is covered. Its definitely not free to rollout a brand new network is it? I think its pretty obvious that verizon is putting money into the network isn't it? Its not like AT&T and Sprint who are turning a profit but not doing much with it. ATT is trying to say they need tmobile for LTE, even though they have the most unused spectrum out of any national carrier, including verizon. Sprint is, well, sprint, and is trying to remain the low cost alternative to the other guys. But you get what you pay for. It costs more money to drive a cadillac than it does a kia right? VZW is the caddilac as far as coverage and reliability, and now with 4g, speed. ATT is a kia, and sprint is a used ford pinto. There is a market for each, no doubt. But please don't think for a second its all a big conspiracy against you because you use 6gb's a month.

Reactions: CHIP72
Upvote 0
Thats quite a manifesto there, did you remember your tinfoil hat too? lol.

Listen man, if I missed a word or two in your diatrabe, I apologize. No matter which way you slice it, 10-17 hours of video is a lot of time to be watching video on your phone right? Yes. Of course I realize that a few of the newer phones have HDMI out. Seeing as how I've worked in other sectors of retail (big box retailer for 8+ years) I would find it pretty strange that you have a television with HDMI, meaning its a Hi-def tv set, with no other video source hooked up to it. Not to mention, no active internet connection. I'm really not trying to start an argument or pissing match at all, but lets be real. I'm not towing the company line by saying the things I said. I spoke and still speak, the truth.

Its not some huge conspiracy against you, or me, the end user, to throttle data. How long have you had a smartphone? I've had one for a while now, over a year, and I've noticed a huge slow down in data speeds. Why is that? Because there is a lot more congestion on the system, even in my sparsly populated area. Over the summer google released a statement saying there were something like 500,000 android devices activated daily. While not every single one of them is on verizon, a good portion are. The more people using it, the more it slows down. If there is someone who is using way more bandwidth than someone else (we will use you and me as an example here). You use 6gb's of data per month. I use around 1. You are using more bandwidth than me right? Should I have to have a slower connection because you decide to use more data? No. I pay the same amount as you right? Yes, I do.

Its not a conspiracy, believe me. Network Congestion is a very real thing. VZW has been making a big push to get consumers to switch to a smartphone, and it has worked. My store consistantly sells about 75% smartphones. Thats a huge percentage and thinking for a second that network congestion doesn't happen is just complete stupidity to be brutally honest. There will also be a push soon to get people to get 4g phones to offer relief to the 3g network. Mark my words, you will see a special promo for early upgrades or whatever soon, to get a 4g device.

As far as all the money that is being made, yes, you are right, they are making money. Thats the point of any business is it not? Pizza hut is in business to make money, as is McDonalds right? Why is it different for vzw? Its not. Now also consider the fact that vzw is in the process of a HUGE network rollout. Yeah, that whole LTE thing, I'm sure you have heard of it. 200 million people will be covered by the LTE network by the end of the year. It has been rapidly expanding and will continue to do so until the entire 3g network is covered. Its definitely not free to rollout a brand new network is it? I think its pretty obvious that verizon is putting money into the network isn't it? Its not like AT&T and Sprint who are turning a profit but not doing much with it. ATT is trying to say they need tmobile for LTE, even though they have the most unused spectrum out of any national carrier, including verizon. Sprint is, well, sprint, and is trying to remain the low cost alternative to the other guys. But you get what you pay for. It costs more money to drive a cadillac than it does a kia right? VZW is the caddilac as far as coverage and reliability, and now with 4g, speed. ATT is a kia, and sprint is a used ford pinto. There is a market for each, no doubt. But please don't think for a second its all a big conspiracy against you because you use 6gb's a month.

Lol network congestion? You blame this on network congestion? It's not network congestion lol. CDMA carriers are extremely effecient. You want to know what's causing the slowdown? DPI.

IEEE Xplore - A Real Implementation of DPI in 3G Network

Upvote 0
Lol network congestion? You blame this on network congestion? It's not network congestion lol. CDMA carriers are extremely effecient. You want to know what's causing the slowdown? DPI.

IEEE Xplore - A Real Implementation of DPI in 3G Network

Though I don't necessarily like the idea of DPI, it does seem like it would cover this issue doesn't it. Nothing like a little bit of QoS to straighten out networks :)

(Might be kicked from sprint for too much roaming from you guys. And just reading around here, I really don't like the looks of American cell service.)

Upvote 0
Though I don't necessarily like the idea of DPI, it does seem like it would cover this issue doesn't it. Nothing like a little bit of QoS to straighten out networks :)

(Might be kicked from sprint for too much roaming from you guys. And just reading around here, I really don't like the looks of American cell service.)

Canadians have it much worse.

Select your province | TELUS Mobility
www.bell.ca
www.rogers.com

According to Google one Canadian dollar is worth .9727 US Dollar so the exchange rate is virtually one for one.

Upvote 0

If anything, I would look into suspending service on the existing line, and see if that would maintain the grandfathered status on the unlimited data plan. If so, suspend that line and go for the agent line.

Upvote 0
For now.... and no offense..

But what generation are guys in? Into personal experience the younger the generation the more avid the user on a general basis. I have been and always will be a tech head but remember ..

The power user of today is the generic user of tomorrow. For instance everyone laughed 7 years ago when I had my brick of an HTC mogul and a data plan...

No offense taken... I'm 47, married, with 3 kids, ages 10, 12, and 14. When I'm home, I'm using Wifi. If 4G were available here, I might use that instead, as it's faster (from what I understand - I have no actual first hand experience). When I'm working, I'm... well.. working, so the only data use my phone gets is the occasional email, work-related product research, and maybe a few pictures sent to describe conditions on a job (I'm at a customer site - so my phone IS my Internet connection). If I were inclined to stream music while working, that would sometimes be acceptable from a work environment standpoint, but that's customer-dependent and I want my battery to last for those long support calls I unexpectedly end up on. When I'm going to/from work, I'm driving, and the radio in my van works fine, so why would I stream music on my phone?

When I do get free time it's usually 15-20 minutes waiting for one of the kids to come out of [where ever they are] so I can give them a ride home. I might stream some music, or watch some youtube videos, but even that fits within my typical <300MB of monthly usage.

Everyone's circumstances are different. If I were younger, had no wife or kids, or my kids were older, I might have more free time. If I took public transportation to work, I might have time to kill while doing so. In both cases, my data usage would likely increase.

Regardless of circumstances, I think most people consider their own usage to be "normal", because it's what they do, and what the people they know do. Some are at the high end of the spectrum, and some (like me) are at the low end.

Regardless of my current usage, I wouldn't give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan, even if it meant saving $10 per month.

Upvote 0
No offense taken... I'm 47, married, with 3 kids, ages 10, 12, and 14. When I'm home, I'm using Wifi. If 4G were available here, I might use that instead, as it's faster (from what I understand - I have no actual first hand experience). When I'm working, I'm... well.. working, so the only data use my phone gets is the occasional email, work-related product research, and maybe a few pictures sent to describe conditions on a job (I'm at a customer site - so my phone IS my Internet connection). If I were inclined to stream music while working, that would sometimes be acceptable from a work environment standpoint, but that's customer-dependent and I want my battery to last for those long support calls I unexpectedly end up on. When I'm going to/from work, I'm driving, and the radio in my van works fine, so why would I stream music on my phone?

When I do get free time it's usually 15-20 minutes waiting for one of the kids to come out of [where ever they are] so I can give them a ride home. I might stream some music, or watch some youtube videos, but even that fits within my typical &lt;300MB of monthly usage.

Everyone's circumstances are different. If I were younger, had no wife or kids, or my kids were older, I might have more free time. If I took public transportation to work, I might have time to kill while doing so. In both cases, my data usage would likely increase.

Regardless of circumstances, I think most people consider their own usage to be &quot;normal&quot;, because it's what they do, and what the people they know do. Some are at the high end of the spectrum, and some (like me) are at the low end.

Regardless of my current usage, I wouldn't give up my grandfathered unlimited data plan, even if it meant saving $10 per month.

Lol just wanted to point out free time is negligle here. I work 50 to 60 hours a week and go to school full time. Streaming music is a personal preference, and there arent many rock stations left here in chicago the play my music. Also.. i have no radio at work lol. So different strokes for different folks..

Another aspect i forgot to mention is ive fully embraced cloud computing which takes up considerable bandwitdh. For instance, whenever i shoot a photo or a video it automatically uploads it with my syncing software.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones