1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Westboro Baptist Church and other Radicals: Enough is enough?

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Affairs' started by JQwerty91, Oct 18, 2010.

1. LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2010
    Cellular Provider- Customer Service
    Vancouver
    Our banks haven't been throwing around money like drunken sailors recently.

EDIT:

Want to see a country who's actually doing well? Australia's currencey is actually worth more than Canada's now and very close to the US$.

Advertisement

2. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Android Expert
    None

Aug 29, 2010
    Student
    Cork City, IMF, EU
    Indeed
    But for Australia, if China does well they do well due to mineral exports.
    And China is still growing at 10% a year
    Canada's main trading partner -the US.

3. mcatdtDROID

None

May 9, 2010
    FOLLOW UP DEMANDED FOR THE KID ON HERE THAT GOES TO THE SCHOOL WESTBORO PROTESTED ON FRIDAY!!!!!!11

kthxbie

4. byteware

byteware Android Expert
    None

Feb 18, 2010
    Application Developer
    Alabama
    Try to follow along.

This particular right to privacy is tied to the funeral. You have a right to mourn in private during the funeral.

We are not talking about mourning in general, or anything else.

You have other rights that allow for your uninterrupted grief during the rest of your day (privacy at your home/private property, and the right to not be harassed).

And? Their intention was to cause emotional distress to the mourners.

It doesn't matter if they were 100 yards away with loud speakers, or 1 mile away with REALLY LOUD SPEAKERS.

Their intention was to interfere with the participants right to mourn their dead.

Same thing applies. If you are going to interfere with the mourners rights, I would recommend against it.

How about Mars? How exactly would cyberspace interfere with the mourners rights to mourn?

People aren't allowed to provoke violence with speech, the line is, provoking violence with speech. It doesn't matter where they do it, or how they do it.

The line here, is interfering with the mourners right to mourn their dead during the funeral.

Umm... how is this relevant? What right to mourning would the school have?

So, your argument is: a website might violate their rights, by encouraging people to violate their rights?

The actual rights violation would be the honking (not that you could actually do anything about it).

Again I ask, how are you mourning at a funeral over JFK?

Again... (this gets redundant after awhile).

I'm not burying anyone at my house.

Unlike your right to free speech, your right to own property isn't in the Bill of Rights either.

Neither is your right to life. Neither is your right to custody of your children.

We can go all day on the rights that are more fundamental than free speech, but aren't included in the Bill of Rights.

See, this I have no issue with.

5. mcatdtDROID

None

May 9, 2010
    please direct me to the part of the Constitution or Bill of Right, or amendment that states this..... because I CAN point you the amendment that states I have the right to peacefully assemble. And it has no caveat about saying it must be popular speech.

kthx.... I'll wait for your reply before I will entertain the rest of this clap trap below....

"blah blah blah.... I don't agree with what Westboro is saying, so lets take away their rights because they are jerks.... blah blah."

it's all I get from all that.

6. byteware

byteware Android Expert
    None

Feb 18, 2010
    Application Developer
    Alabama
    It also has no caveat about yelling fire in a theater. It also has no caveat about lying under oath. It also has no caveat about lying in public to ruin your reputation.

There are limits to free speech. Those limits lie when they infringe on the rights of others.

Then why don't you let me know what your reading level is, and I will try to make it clearer for you.

7. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2010
    Verizon Wireless Sales, Traveling Musician
  8. mcatdtDROID

None

May 9, 2010
    I can't view that here at work.... cliffnotes?

9. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2010
    basically a jury ruled against westboro baptist church protesting military funerals on all counts (in iowa at least) and awarded the plaintiff 10.9 million dollars. Now hopefully a supreme court will rule the same

EDIT: I just re-watched the video and it was in federal court actually

10. Crude

Crude Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Nexusville
    I'm not sure what the circumstances of the ruling are but this is very dangerous territory. Essentially this invalidates the first amendment unless there are limitations to the ruling.
    I personally think this is over due. There should be rules protecting military personnel and there families for their service. I don't understand the logic anyway, protest at marine funerals because of gays? Shouldn't they be picketing gay funerals? This is like my kicking you for what she said.

11. mcatdtDROID

None

May 9, 2010
    can't say I agree... I'll watch it when I get home though and see what was said.

12. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2010
    From what i understood, the ruling was that the signs were too vulgar and disrespectful to be covered under the first amendment. Also because it was infringing on others rights. I'm not 100% sure I agree with that, although I am happy they got what they deserve

13. imtoomuch

imtoomuch Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    I am an equal opportunity hater. I don't care what color, sex, rage, religion, or anything else you are. If you suck I hate you.

Free speech has long been dead. You can't say something non-PC or you get fired, sued, or killed. It sucks. One day it's all going to come to a head.

14. mcatdtDROID

None

May 9, 2010
    while it dang sure doesn't break my heart these idiots got their comupances.... I don't like the precedent it sets.

15. byteware

byteware Android Expert
    None

Feb 18, 2010
    Application Developer
    Alabama
    You didn't about the case that was decided against them that led to the pending Supreme Court case?

Then what have we been discussing?

The precedent it sets is that people have more rights than just free speech, and you can't use your right to free speech to infringe on the rights of others.

16. Crude

Crude Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Nexusville
    Job = private property and you are representing someone other then yourself
    Cemetery = state owned land

Big difference

17. byteware

byteware Android Expert
    None

Feb 18, 2010
    Application Developer
    Alabama
    I'm not sure how it is where you are, but here, Cemeteries are private enterprises.

18. Crude

Crude Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Nexusville
    IN which case the owners need to make regulations and/or call the police to solve the protesting. Around here most are owned by the state, county or municipality.

19. imtoomuch

None

Jul 10, 2010
    What is your point? Who brought up cemeteries?

20. Crude

Crude Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    Nexusville
    You're citing that free speech is dead and then list a locale that is not private. I'm just clarifying. The best example is this forum, it's private and that's why some things are censored but others are not. The owners makes the rules however arbitrary they may be.

btw did you know Pastor Fred Phelps is a registered democrat? Doesn't that explain some things?

21. imtoomuch

None

Jul 10, 2010
    So I can have free speech in cemetaries. Yeah that's great. They're all dead so they don't care what the frick I say. I am still missing your point on that one.

My employer may be a privately owned company, but I shouldn't be allowed to be punished for saying something within reason. Words have never hurt anybody!

If I say something like "I am going to kill you all" well that should definitely be grounds for firing. But if I say "I hate white people" or "All the Irish should go back to their own country" I should be allowed to do so!!!

BTW I am white and part Irish so I was using that as an example.

22. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010
    Interesting idea, but I can think of one place where totally free speech is curtailed. It forces you to be polite and non-offensive. In fact, if you cuss and swear, you are in plenty of trouble or could be in trouble.

I'm betting you are not allowed access to this public arena because it is restricted to a select few who can pass the tests..

I am talking about Amateur Radio. We do not allow bad behavour and if you constantly fall outside the rules, you can be in trouble.

As for the workplace, if I hire you and you call a black person the "N" word or you harass a woman, my company could be held liable because we are very litigous these days. Therefore, I would impose rules that restrict your freedom of speech.

I agree, words do not hurt. I know a few bikers, however, who would teach you just how much as poor choice of words can hurt.

I think the bottom line is behave yourself.

Bob Maxey

23. byteware

byteware Android Expert
    None

Feb 18, 2010
    Application Developer
    Alabama
    No company is required to employ you if they find your free speech offensive.

24. imtoomuch

None

Jul 10, 2010
    Bikers? Please! As a motorcycle rider myself, I can't stand "bikers". They thing they are big, tough hard asses yet they have to join gangs and attack people in packs rather than one on one. Gangs are for pussies. Just ride!

25. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Android Expert
    None

Sep 24, 2010

As am I. FYI: The gentlemen I know ride with the Barrons. Bet you don't have the stones to call a gang member a ***** to his face.

I do not condone their antics, I just know a few.

Bob Maxey