• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Wet application screen protector

damewolf13

live~laugh~love
May 14, 2010
AZ
Yesterday shortly after purchasing my amazing new Vibrant, I rushed over to my favorite phone accessory kiosk to buy a bodyguardz protector for my screen, since T-mo had no screen protectors in stock yet. I proudly showed off all the wonder of watching Avatar om my beautiful new non-glare Vibrant screen, and the lady who owns the kiosk oohed and aahed at the clarity. Then she applied my sp as she has on every other phone I have owned. I put my phone on the car charger so that when I got home I could play with my new toy, except when I got home it was bricked. I removed that beautifully shiney aqua back to find water in my phone. AAARRGHHH!
Took it back to T-mo amd they very kindly replaced it.
Thanks T-mo! You rock, and so does the Vibrant!:)
No more wet application sp's for me.

how do you have apply a wet application screen protector? I have all these stupid little bubbles from the tmo screen protector that I put on.

Also, Tmo has awesome customer service when it comes to taken care of you within the 14 day return period. The guy that sold me the phone yesterday called me today just to make sure that I was happy and if I needed to exchange it, they just got another shipment in today.

edit: I have had every phone company from AT&T to Metro PCS and Tmo is the only one that has ever taken care of me so I should say they have awesome customer service regardless.

Upvote 0
how do you have apply a wet application screen protector? I have all these stupid little bubbles from the tmo screen protector that I put on.

Also, Tmo has awesome customer service when it comes to taken care of you within the 14 day return period. The guy that sold me the phone yesterday called me today just to make sure that I was happy and if I needed to exchange it, they just got another shipment in today.

edit: I have had every phone company from AT&T to Metro PCS and Tmo is the only one that has ever taken care of me so I should say they have awesome customer service regardless.

They really do!
Years ago I went to pay my bill in the T-mobile store, and accidently overpaid my bill by exactly $100 (money I had taken along to buy groceries with), and neither the rep nor I noticed it. Later, when I realized what I had done it was after the T-mo had already closed for the night. I was sure that the rep had probably just pocketed it since I had no proof that I overpaid in the first place. My receipt and account both stated the exact amount of my bill had been paid. Anyway, I went first thing next morning (after a sleepless night) to inquire about that $100, and after calling the rep that had taken my money (turned out she was manager) they returned my money to me and said that she had closed out her register the night before with exactly $100 over her receipts.:)
Thank Goodness for honest people, and that some of them work at T-mobile!

Wet application screen protectors are applied with a slightly soapy solution, and when done right, they are amazingly protective for your screen, but done wrong, bricking of phone will occur. I am done with them forever, and can't recommend them for this gorgeous phone.

I can NEVER get a smooth application with screen protectors either, so I always ask where I purchase it if they can apply it for me. Usually they will apply for free, sometimes a small cost.

Upvote 0
I had a super smooth application with my slide using a tmobile screen protector. The trick is to wipe down your screen first with a lint free cloth (like a flat screen tv cleaning cloth or glasses lenses cleaning cloth). Then very carefully attach the protector only to the bottom of the screen. Hold the screen protector towards you, folded like a taco on it's side. Then very slowly roll the screen protector away from you and onto the phone, smoothing bubbles as you go. Sometimes there may be something on your phone you can't see that causes bubbles. If you put on a good protector and there are still little bubbles, push it down firmly and then remove it and it will take with it any of the particles. THen apply a second NEW protector just as you did before (taco method) and it will be so smooth you will not even be able to see there is a protector on it. HTH

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
I've never had a problem using Invisible Shields on any of my electronic devices which have included Nintendo DS's, iPhones, Creative media players, and my newest Motorola Cliq XT. The key is to REMOVE THE BATTERY before applying them! Also make sure to leave the phone off with the battery out for at least 12 hours or you're asking for trouble.

Upvote 0
I've never had a problem using Invisible Shields on any of my electronic devices which have included Nintendo DS's, iPhones, Creative media players, and my newest Motorola Cliq XT. The key is to REMOVE THE BATTERY before applying them! Also make sure to leave the phone off with the battery out for at least 12 hours or you're asking for trouble.

I know, and I felt the same way. I wouldn't have any other type of screen protector until last Thursday. I am cured. I will only use dry from now on.
It seemed that the water went into the speaker as well though so I think the electronics got wet. In fact, the battery itself didn't feel wet, but it probably was.

Upvote 0
step 1 of applying a wet screen protector... remove the battery... step 2 apply... step 3 let dry for 2 hours... invisible shield is a great screen protector and if you know how to read and apply you will never have to buy another one... I have it on my incredible and it is great

Yah, I have it my Incredible too, and my Evo, and my Backflip, but not my Vibrant, and never again. Just wait til it happens to you, and you will know how it feels.:eek:

Upvote 0
Yah, I have it my Incredible too, and my Evo, and my Backflip, but not my Vibrant, and never again. Just wait til it happens to you, and you will know how it feels.:eek:

I'll be likely applying one in a couple of weeks on my wife's new Vibrant. Honestly, if this phone can't hold up to the tiny amount of water that get's on it's screen putting a wet skin on, I'd be very nervous to take it out of the house on a rainy day. If it's that fragile, I wouldn't want one.

I do know some people who don't take the battery out, or who can't take the battery out, such as my sister on her iPhone 3gs. She messed up the first skin and had to do a second one and still never had a problem. For me though, I always keep a microfiber towel around to instantly soak up as much excess water as I can, because I'm pretty paranoid about water and electronics. I also always take the battery out and wait the recommended 12 hours before putting it back in.

Honestly damewolf, from the way you described it, it sounds like the lady at the phone kiosk used WAY too much water to apply it. I can certainly understand your reluctance to ever use one on this phone again though.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
I'll be likely applying one in a couple of weeks on my wife's new Vibrant. Honestly, if this phone can't hold up to the tiny amount of water that get's on it's screen putting a wet skin on, I'd be very nervous to take it out of the house on a rainy day. If it's that fragile, I wouldn't want one.

I do know some people who don't take the battery out, or who can't take the battery out, such as my sister on her iPhone 3gs. She messed up the first skin and had to do a second one and still never had a problem. For me though, I always keep a microfiber towel around to instantly soak up as much excess water as I can, because I'm pretty paranoid about water and electronics. I also always take the battery out and wait the recommended 12 hours before putting it back in.

Honestly damewolf, from the way you described it, it sounds like the lady at the phone kiosk used WAY too much water to apply it. I can certainly understand your reluctance to ever use one on this phone again though.

I think you are probably right about that, and thanks for understanding. Good luck with yours, and be careful.

Upvote 0
I got the Invisible Shield installed today. I have to say I was FREAKING out thanks to this post LOL. But I decided to do it. I told the guy the phone is super sensitive to moisture. He lightly misted above the phone twice and then misted the protector a couple of times. I was nervous as all get out but it's on. He didn't turn off the phone and told me there was no need to remove the battery. I wonder if that's standard practice everywhere? I have to say it looks nicer than I expected. They didn't have the right size for my phone so they cut it to fit and didn't do a very good job on that part. So I need to go back and get it replaced when the precut comes out. But I am so terrified to go and get this done again!

Upvote 0
I got the Invisible Shield installed today. I have to say I was FREAKING out thanks to this post LOL. But I decided to do it. I told the guy the phone is super sensitive to moisture. He lightly misted above the phone twice and then misted the protector a couple of times. I was nervous as all get out but it's on. He didn't turn off the phone and told me there was no need to remove the battery. I wonder if that's standard practice everywhere? I have to say it looks nicer than I expected. They didn't have the right size for my phone so they cut it to fit and didn't do a very good job on that part. So I need to go back and get it replaced when the precut comes out. But I am so terrified to go and get this done again!

I am glad it went well for you. The lady who applied mine had to hand cut it to fit as well. I didn't mean to freak you out but it is good that you let him know that the Vibrant is moisture sensitive. I don't think the pre-cut ones are available anywhere yet. I read somewhere that there is a dry application sp very similar to this type, and I am going to try to find one to fit my phone in a couple more weeks.

Upvote 0
They are out...on their website(zagg.com). $14.99 for a screen only protector. They have them for the back but screw that. Ill get a case.

Upvote 0
I know I've said this before in this thread, but I really can't stress this enough. Remove the battery before applying the skin and keep it out for at least 12 hours before putting it back in. Check out the very first and last steps from Zagg's website:

Step 1: Turn your device off, and remove the battery if possible.

We recommend letting your device sit overnight before turning it back on (12-24 hours is suggested). This will give the invisibleSHIELD

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones