Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Wet phone, insurance best bet?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jlhopwo, Jul 25, 2010.

1. jlhopwo

jlhopwo Active Member

Jul 14, 2010
    I was taking a picture outside where I was a chef at a catering gig in San Francisco last night, and as I was backing up, I tripped and my EVO flew out of my hand and went "plunk" right into a little pond of water!

I was like, "Really?" I super-fast reached in and grabbed it. I ripped the back off and yanked out the battery. Dried it off as best I could. I had heard previously that shaking it is bad, because it drives water deeper inside (hard not to do though, it's a natural reaction). Kept in my pocket for the rest of the night, and when I got home, I put it a tupperware container full of rice to absorb the moisture. This morning, it turns on and seems to be fine, except there is a small imperfection in the upper left-hand corner of the screen, and another near the bottom left-corner too. Really can't see them with all the busy background pictures, live wallpapers, and icons on the screen. No case, but I had full Zagg Invisishield (back, front, and sides), and I wonder if that helped any.

Is going through insurance (Asurion) my best bet? I've had the phone all of 14 days!

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Miami, FL
    I would try leaving it in the rice another 24 to 48 hours before I would consider insurance exchange. I mean, why pay $100 if you can avoid it.

3. novarider

novarider Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    I would leave it on rice for a while also.

4. MsRandall

MsRandall Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    The "Bay Area", Cali
    Sprint insurance covers up to 3 incidents per yr....deductible is $100 bucks

5. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    Mad Scientist! MUAHAHAHA!
    Richmond, TX
    Are you sure about this? As I always thought only BB has coverage against water damage.

6. BenChase7

BenChase7 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
    I am pretty sure about this. Sprint TEP (Total Equipment Protection) covers anything and everything. I was pushed into a pool with my old Pre in my pocket and it was submerged along with me. Called Sprint and told them the details. They directed me to an online website and I had a new/referb phone the next day.

7. jlhopwo

jlhopwo Active Member

Jul 14, 2010
    I guess because I'm a new Sprint customer (coming from AT&T), I had to jump through one extra hoop... I did the web-based claim, but now I have to fill out a form and fax it to them... this is an extra step and pretty much sucks I have to do this, but I guess I gotta do what i gotta do.

basso4735 likes this.
  8. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    Mad Scientist! MUAHAHAHA!
    Richmond, TX
    That's great news then! Cheers! :)

Tags: