• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Stop using it and remove the battery. Right now.

I would try using alcohol, as pure as you can get it (don't settle for the drug store 60% version, buy the good stuff) because it's volatile and will evaporate. Clean as much as you can without dunking it in the alcohol.

Don't turn it on for at least 24 hours, leaving it in a warm place like a sunny windowsill or something.

Upvote 0
If you have access to a dehumidifier, that has always worked great for the, uh, 10 cell phones that have wound up in our pool. a dehumidifier will suck ALL the water out every crevice in the phone.
Now, for the left over sugar?? Might be better to try the alcohol or.....dare I suggest...more water??
But get that battery out of it....NOW!

In the South sweet tea is the drink of choice. REAL sugar, not that artificial sweetener crap! I usually get mine "half and half".....half sweet/ half unsweet because it is usually too sweet for my likings.

Upvote 0
The story of why needs to be included, even if fake. makes for completion and lets face it we all could use a good laugh.

meanwhile, I assume since you started the DX you let it dry some period of time.

On the stuck keys, alcohol or dare I say mineral sprits would work well. Alcohol is probably better choice over all.

cotton swap the button rims first let sit for a minute, do it again (with the battery out of the device) and then work the button a few times. repeat again. Work button.

Let dry a minimum of 30 minutes, power on and see if all works well.

ALSO pure alcohol will remove moisture as well (speeds evaporation, ask any alcoholic)

Upvote 0
Alcohol note:

Alcohol likes to stay at ~95% pure. The 5% being water. If you start with pure alcohol it will absorb water readily to get to it's natural state of 95%. To do this, you must start with an unopened bottle of pure alcohol. Once opened, all bets are off.

This brings me to Gasohol. Terrible stuff for a car, unless you like water in your fuel ;). Environmentalists know nothing about engines ;)

Upvote 0
Ive dropped my phone is water before. I put it in the freezer for an hour, per one of my customers suggestion. Worked like a charm.

I can't see how this would be good. Freezing the water on the circuit board?

The idea is to evaporate the water as quickly as possible. Uncooked rice in a ziplock with the phone in a warm spot works to pull the moisture out of the phone and into the rice kernels.

Upvote 0
Alcohol note:

Alcohol likes to stay at ~95% pure. The 5% being water. If you start with pure alcohol it will absorb water readily to get to it's natural state of 95%. To do this, you must start with an unopened bottle of pure alcohol. Once opened, all bets are off.

This brings me to Gasohol. Terrible stuff for a car, unless you like water in your fuel ;). Environmentalists know nothing about engines ;)

Seriously no homo, but I love you mang! :D

Upvote 0
Interesting. One possible problem is the expansion as it freezes. Could mess things up. But it may also "freeze-dry" it.

I'll stick to my trusty dehumidifier. Worked so many times already.

I can't see how this would be good. Freezing the water on the circuit board?

The idea is to evaporate the water as quickly as possible. Uncooked rice in a ziplock with the phone in a warm spot works to pull the moisture out of the phone and into the rice kernels.

It works because it dries the phone w/o condensation :)

I would never have believed it until I tried it :D

Upvote 0
except that you aren't drying anything if you freeze it, unless you are gonna keep it frozen, as soon as it melts you are left with the same problem.

bring it bigbadwulf....i'm from southeastern VA, and VA is south of the Mason-Dixon line, soooo that'd be the South. ;) and i've said all my life, northern VA and southern VA should be two different states...

Upvote 0
If you have access to a dehumidifier, that has always worked great for the, uh, 10 cell phones that have wound up in our pool. a dehumidifier will suck ALL the water out every crevice in the phone.
Now, for the left over sugar?? Might be better to try the alcohol or.....dare I suggest...more water??
But get that battery out of it....NOW!

In the South sweet tea is the drink of choice. REAL sugar, not that artificial sweetener crap! I usually get mine "half and half".....half sweet/ half unsweet because it is usually too sweet for my likings.
I have never had sweet tea before but wouldn't adding half sweet tea and half unsweetened tea, just make that plain sweetened tea? just a thought.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones