1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support What 4G speeds are you getting? Taking my GNEX back!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by budmonster, Dec 23, 2011.

1. budmonster

budmonster Guest
    None
    I waited and wait for upgrade my phone, then the time finally came around and I got the Nexus. I fell into all the hype and I think it bit me in the rear end! I just got my Nexus yesterday and my reception is horrible! I get 1 4G bar, occasionally 2 with around 100-110dmb signal strength. I switch to 3G, I get 2 bars, 93dmb. My question is what 4G speed are you seeing on your Rezound? I'm really thinking about swapping phones?

I've read a bunch of forums now and the only thing I can say negative about the Rezound right now is about the locked bootloader, which will be unlocked sooner or later, right? ICS, will eventually be pushed out. Who cares if it takes a long time ICS is nothing special to me, I don't see it as a game changer. 1.5ghz, up to 64gb external memory, removable sdcard, better screen and sound vs ICS? Not many cons on the Rezound side. I should have went with my gut(Rezound) but the damn VZW rep got me to change my mind.

Here are my 4G speeds

[​IMG]

These can't be "average" or ever "normal" 4G speeds, can they? What are you guys getting?

Advertisement

2. skater57

skater57 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 9, 2011
    I'm getting 15 down and 9 up in a very low signal area

3. budmonster

budmonster Guest
    None
    I'm getting lower than that in Pittsburgh, which is suppose to be a good LTE area. Not good, not good.

Does anyone know the return policy, 14 days? I can't remember.

4. andr01d

andr01d Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2011
    androidland
    uh-oh my 2 snapshots below is going to be a re-run :)

Here's my typical numbers (from inside the house or office; not outdoors)...

[​IMG]

Here's the signal stuff from 12 hours ago...

[​IMG]

Yeah... the Rezound is pretty good... has an awesome antenna design. Even the wireless-n chipset is both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.
    Have fun...
    bye.

Kane5581 likes this.
  5. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    Wow, I'm glad I popped into this thread! I think Verizon may have amped things up due to all the Nexus backlash or maybe in anticipation of all the new 4G devices that will be activated on Christmas. I just did a speedtest run inside my house (typically no 4G with my Thunderbolt) and the results...hell I'll just do a screen capture. I'm glad I stuck with HTC after my horrible experience with the Thunderbolt. Had I gone to the Nexus I would've had the same crappy 4G that I had with the Thunderbolt and I would've thought nothing about it. The Rezound is DEFINITELY the phone Verizon should be pushing to show the true capability of their 4G.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Kane5581

Kane5581 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Haven't seen anything under 20down and have hit 50, Minneapolis mn.

7. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    S.C.
    You know, these speed test results can vary quite a bit. In general, when in a 4G area, my results are quite good. But I would have to take some of these results with a few grains of salt. If you are in a stationary location and the 4G tower is nearby, the results with the rezound can be astronomical.

I travel 4 days a week for work and pass thru many 3G -> 4G -> 3G areas. My average results (when I have time to test) are 14-15 down and 5-6 up. I know where 2 of the 4G towers are between home and work. It's about a 22 mile drive to work. When I am about half way between the towers, I am seeing 12-13 down and 5 up. If I do the test when I am a few miles from the tower I get the first set of results I posted.

When I was at the verizon store looking at both the rezound and nexus side by side and did the test, the rezound smoked the nexus.

8. Blackthanos

Blackthanos Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 15, 2011
    My ping is about the same as the OP(I was at Best Buy when did this) but it looks like that's were the similarities end.
    [​IMG]

9. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

I think everyone understands that there's going to be some variation. It's like a car mag (the decent ones anyways) that does 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. They typically do about 10-12 runs (not sure if it's in the name of getting an accurate reading or if they just enjoy beating on cars) and throw out any large deviations from the median times. I did about 6-7 tests myself just to get an average going. It would be nice if I had access to a Nexus so I could run tests side by side.

Granted I've heard that Speedtest isn't really accurate when it comes to real world applications (downloading or streaming) but I go back to the car analogy, it's like going to get a dyno reading on your car, large numbers won't always translate at the track, but it gives you a baseline to work with.

10. nynvolt

nynvolt Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    SoCal
    The best I've gotten was 27mbps dl and 12 upload. I was supprised. In the house I get barely better than my DSL, around 5mbps and 1.5. I would love to get my "outside" speeds inside. My 3g signal was always ok inside and great outside but 4g isn't very good inside. Depends on the construction I think, at work, inside, my 4g is good.

11. ToyotaTacoma

ToyotaTacoma Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Here are mine...

Attached Files:

12. Blackthanos

Blackthanos Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 15, 2011
    DAMN! Do you live next to a tower or something...lol.

13. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

Have you seen those Toyota Tacoma commercials? They're always over-exaggerated......They do that a lot for some reason. Almost bad as that old Joe Isuzu character. :p

14. andr01d

andr01d Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2011
    androidland
    oh yes T-T's speedtest numbers are awesome indeed!!!
    Did you install a TRD-magic-equipment or something in there??

I was at the V-store earlier. Their demo Rezound in there was like -28 dBm (unbelievable!! That's like 20 bars!!). The next few phones (different brands/models) there were also super. Then I looked at my phone - nowhere as good as theirs. I was also comparing the hardware version and software version too - their Rezound and mine are the same exact revs. There i was puzzled!! Finally i got enough courage to unplug the USB power to their Rezound and plugged it into mine (wondering if they have some kind of magic juice in that USB/power cable ha ha)... didn't help either. So I finally asked their genius-tech guy there... he pointed to the ceiling and said the "white cones" (something like household smoke detectors) are signal repeaters!!! Their phones and repeaters must be coded... their secret sauce didn't happen on my phone ha ha. He also said if we think our signal is not good enough... go do the Airplane Mode to unhook the phone from the Verizon network, wait a few seconds, and then put it back into the normal mode so that the phone can reconnect itself to the V net (all this without rebooting that can take many minutes:)) Bye

15. Race Director

Race Director Newbie
    None

Nov 26, 2011
  16. Race Director

Race Director Newbie
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    I ran a few tests after stumbling across this thread. I started off in the basement and ran a few with 2 bars of signal. The last test I walked outside in the back yard and hit the 50 Mbps with 3 bars of signal.

[​IMG]

17. chefster74

chefster74 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    Male
    Private professional chef working for the same fam
    Houston, TX
    I just got 7 dn & 12 up. Speeds vary wildly here in Houston. I've never gotten any thing like some of the speeds I see here with my Bolt and so far not on my Rez either. I think our speeds here should be blazing, like Race Director's

18. VTENGR

VTENGR Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    here are mine...

Attached Files:

19. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    I swapped my nexus today for a rezound and got 40.5 mbps outside the mall where I swapped it! O_O

Also, in my in-laws' house where on the nexus I would drop from 2-3 bars of 4g to 1-2 bars of 3g, I still have 4g (dunno signal strength since gingerbread only shows cdma signal dBm) but I get 14 mbps 4g speeds on the rezound vs. 1 mbps 3g speeds on the be us. I'm a happy camper. :)

20. tonyb81

tonyb81 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 19, 2010
    I hope you know what you are getting yourself into going from a Nexus phone to a htc phone.

Verizon Bloat
    Sense Bloat
    Sense
    Worse Battery life
    Unknown timeframe on software updates
    Sense + Snapdragon = choppiness and lag

I'd give some more time on the signal issue you are having.

21. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

My Thunderbolt was having the exact same signal issues that are being described by the Nexus crowd. The descriptions are frighteningly similar, poor battery life, 4G dropping to 3G then nothing, poor download speeds in some locations etc. That being said, the "fix" implemented by Verizon/HTC at the time was an OTA update that just masked the issue. The only way to fix a signal issue is by amping up the transmitter or beefing up the receiver. All the OTA update can do is fix the way the radio processes the signal. The "fix" that Verizon pushed to the Thunderbolt amounted to 4G 3G signal hand-off, and stabilizing how active the phone sought out a weak 4G connection which in turn helped with battery life. In the areas that I'd get 4G connections bouncing around before the OTA update, I'd start getting NO 4G connections at all.

Think of it as the "fix" that iPhone users saw with the iPhone 4. Apple fixed the signal bars so that instead of 2 bars with constant dropping of data/voice, the iPhone 4 displayed a more realistic "no bars". I guess if that trick worked on Apple fanatics, it's bound to work on Nexus fanatics since they seem about as fanatical..... :p [​IMG]

jroc likes this.
  22. Kane5581

Kane5581 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    The thunderbolt doesn't equal all htc phones. This phone has the best battery life I have ever seen in a smartphone. It can already be debloated. Have not noticed any choppiness or lag. Most people like sense as it is polished and seems finished. Sounds like someone is in denial they bought the inferior phone. The nexus is inferior in every permanent way, all the benefits of the nexus are superficial and temporary.

jroc, soccermom17540 and BlueBiker like this.
  23. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None

I don't normally thank smack-downs but I'll make an exception here... :p I don't want the mods to get mad at me....*again*...shhhhh!!!

24. budmonster

budmonster Guest
    None
    I can wait until January 13th, 15th is my last day to ship back. No difference by then, I will be saying HELLO to my first HTC device. Bloat is fine with me. A phone isnt much of a phone when I can't make phone calls. The GNEX is BEAUTIFUL but whats on the inside is what really counts. Just a matter of time before the Rezound gets rooted right? I can wait a couple months. What ROMs are out for the GNEX that make you saw WOW?

jroc likes this.
  25. pappy53

pappy53 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 15, 2010
    North Carolina
    I don't know where you got your info, but you need to use the Rezound before posting untruths. No bloat (thanks to CleanTool), better battery life than most smartphones (including Nexus), and absolutely ZERO lag or choppiness. Sense without the bloat is very smooth.

jroc, soccermom17540 and jkc120 like this.
Tags: