1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What Ad blocker do you use? Does it REALLY work?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bigbadwulff, Dec 23, 2011.

1. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert

I have Ad Free. I see ads all the time. Is there anything that REALLY works?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Android Expert

I use Ad Free and rarely see any ads. Are you opening the Ad Free app often and checking for updates??

3. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert

Just did this morning. See ads everywhere.

Gonna try uninstalling and set things up again.

Did that. There was a registration part I don't remember doing before. Maybe that is/was the problem...???

Seems better. Will see.

4. UncleVanya

UncleVanya Newbie

Since you mentioned AdFree I assume you are rooted. I am using it on my Droid 2 Global and have very few issues with Ads. I have seen some and then seen them disappear later when an update came out. I did have to switch on the option for local server to get a couple of apps to behave rather than barfing when they couldn't find their web ads.

Overall it works great.

5. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

I switched to AdAway on all my devices.

6. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

+1

It's a better app. Try it. Just cleaner and uses multiple host file sources that it mergest together.

7. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

Really it doesn't matter which add remover you use. Devs are adding scripts to there apps to kill the app if it detects an ad remover installed. Ads are how most of the devs make money off their apps. So god forbid you don't wanna be bonbarded by ads.

8. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert

Haven't come across any of those yet. Got some examples?

9. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

Yes as a matter of fact I do. I'm still testing the ICS Rom from firstEncounter and have to use an app called "multi mount sd card" because the sd card mouting isnt working right.

I had AdFree installed and Multi mount popped up with a message to remove my ad blocker and the app wouldn't work untill I did. I'm now trying Ad Away and so far I don't get that message with it. Knock on wood the dev doesn't fix that to not work with Ad Away too.

10. Baldilocks

I'd rather pay 99 cents for an app than have to look at ads inside of an app. Ads make applications ugly. If I can't get rid of the ads by buying the app or with an Ad Blocker, I just don't use it.

11. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

I agree Baldilocks but some apps that are really good apps don't usually cost 99 cents. Take Rom Toolbox for instance. Really good app but cost 5 bucks.

The point is sometimes you have to use the free version, IF it's not limited, untill you can purchase the paid app. And having to deal with ads should be an option, not manditory.

12. Bugly

Bugly Android Expert

Agreed, Cougar, I expect not to see ads on my devices, since I pay more for service per month than a lot of people pay for rent. Ads only irritate me and make me want to switch to a device without them

13. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

adfree was never updated for gb, so adds will disappear for a small time, then reappear.

i haven't tried adaway, but i will when i get service, cause i also despise ads

14. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

Just like bugly, for what I pay a month for my service I don't want or expect to be over run with ads. I understand why devs build them into their apps. But I also think its getting out of hand.

15. Baldilocks

What you pay for phone service has nothing to do with applications. The two aren't even REMOTELY related. That's kind of a flawed logic you are using.

16. cougar214

cougar214 Android Expert

How is it flawed? I payed full price for my phone to begin with. Then I pay $125 bucks a month for my unlimited service for a phone that's supposed to do everything short of cooking your breakfast only to find this great and powerfully android market that everyone speaks so highly of is full of apps that are stripped down versions (free apps) that advertise more than my TV does.

17. al2fast

al2fast Member

I'll preceed this by saying I don't like ads and use ad blockers and run roms with built in ad blockers. It is your own logic that is flawed. That $125/mo is for internet, calls, messaging, and probably insurance too.

I shell out a ton of cash for a computer and the OS on it. (don't gimme the Linux argument either) I then shell out more per month for unlimited internet for my computer than I do for my phone. Now, I have to shell out more money for the apps I wish to run on it, I wish they had free versions with ads to try (old net zero for any dial upers that may remember) before I shell out way more than $1-$5 per app!

If we want high quality apps, someone is going to have to get paid or they will be developing for another platform.

18. Baldilocks

Once again, your logic is very flawed. What you pay for your phone and your service has nothing to do with the applications available for your phone or the price of said apps.

Your carrier and the cell phone manufacturer have nothing to do with those who develop applications, set prices for applications or place ads in applications.

19. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

lets keep it nice and clean in here folks, ads in apps are actually not related with your service in any kind of way.

your paying to use services by verizon, the app makers arent all using verizon. some see how they can make some extra cash by having ads, and thats all fine and dandy, but regardless ads will be there no matter what, its a pain, but it will be.

colchiro and Slug like this.
  20. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert

I use AdFree on all of my phones with no issues.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews