• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What am I missing about Launcher Pro that makes it so great?

Anirak

Lurker
Aug 18, 2010
I just bought a samsung captivate, and heard that I should replace the default launcher with launcher pro.

After doing so and setting up things to basically how I had it before, I can't really see what makes it any better. It doesn't seem to allow me much extra customization, and in fact, I don't think I can move around home screens any more.

Is there something I'm missing here?

So you didn't notice a differerence in speed from screen to screen, opening apps, and just general lack of lag vs. touchwiz? I switched for those reasons. Now that I rooted and applied the lag fix (Quadrant scores of 2262), I will switch back and forth from TW and Launcher Pro. Since I don't have to worry about lag AT ALL, TW does have a few nice widgets worth using. It may just be me, but backgrounds seem crisper on TW, too.

Upvote 0
So you didn't notice a differerence in speed from screen to screen, opening apps, and just general lack of lag vs. touchwiz? I switched for those reasons. Now that I rooted and applied the lag fix (Quadrant scores of 2262), I will switch back and forth from TW and Launcher Pro. Since I don't have to worry about lag AT ALL, TW does have a few nice widgets worth using. It may just be me, but backgrounds seem crisper on TW, too.

There may be a minor speed boost, but I was actually hoping for more customization. Perhaps I should install the lag fix.

Upvote 0
I just bought a samsung captivate, and heard that I should replace the default launcher with launcher pro.

After doing so and setting up things to basically how I had it before, I can't really see what makes it any better. It doesn't seem to allow me much extra customization, and in fact, I don't think I can move around home screens any more.

Yea it looks like ur missing everything. You can choose the number of homescreens, edit the number of apps in the dock, add custom docks, change the dock icons, have three docks to scroll through like homescreens, have your homescreen change orientation when rotating the phone, have you app drawer be 3D, hide apps in the drawer, hide the status bar.....shall i go on?

LauncherPro even has forum http://www.launcherpro.com/forum/

Upvote 0

I was in the same exact boat you were in when I first installed it. That was until I found out all the stuff I could do that Droidable explained

Yea it looks like ur missing everything. You can choose the number of homescreens, edit the number of apps in the dock, add custom docks, change the dock icons, have three docks to scroll through like homescreens, have your homescreen change orientation when rotating the phone, have you app drawer be 3D, hide apps in the drawer, hide the status bar.....shall i go on?

LauncherPro even has forum LauncherPro Forum • Index page

The 3D app drawer captivated me, like the first time I ever saw boobies. And the fact that I can hide apps is amazing. The widgets that it lacks that TW has are outweighted by the customization that I can do to LauncherPRO.

Upvote 0
I know a lot of people like these launchers... but I personally cannot stand it.
I love the stock launcher on the Nexus.

I actually ditched Cyanogen because they started using that ADW launcher... call me crazy...
Ok you're crazy. :D

Actually that's why Android is so great. You can change it to suit your tastes.

Unlike the iPhone where you have a single way of using it, and that's it! No SOUP for you!! (steve jobs)

Upvote 0
I use Launcherpro Plus on both my droids. I love it and would highly recommend it.
as others have said,

• It adds up to 3 customizable docks (just slide it sideways).
  • It adds up to 7 home screens
  • It allows for multiple doc formats (including the 2.2 dock)
  • It has a pinch type home screen preview and quick jump
  • Plus comes with an increasing number of sense like widgets
  • has the N1's 3D app drawer
  • Allows you to add additional rows and columns for apps on the home screens
  • It's very stable
  • Works with native widgets
  • works with live wall papers
  • It is light on system resources.

I've tried a number of desktop replacements including Ahome, ADW, and DxTop. I actually used DxTop as my main desktop for several months. The early versions of launcherpro were not as good and had stability issues, but as soon as those were sorted, it became a real pleasure to use. I've since dropped Dxtop and have not looked back.

Upvote 0
Im planning to switch frm TW to Launcher Pro..just got one tiny qstn..is it possible for me to switch between the 2 once ive insatlled Launcher Pro??

yup, you can have it so it asks you which launcher you want everytime you press the home key, or you can set on as default and then change it as needed through settings ->applications->find the app, then clear defaults

Upvote 0

I'm with th OP here but after reading this thread, I'm tempted to give LP another try.

Upvote 0
I like both LP and ADW. The scrolling dock area makes LP the top dog for me ....for now. lol The past few months they both been having a features duel that LP seems to have won so far.

I agree ADW seems faster to me too, but that scrolling dock vs. the swiping up/down dock area...LP ftw.

For both LP and ADW u need to change the scrolling speed, and maybe the overshoot, first/last screen bounce to see both launchers fly.

Adjust the app drawer speed too.

Its all in the settings folks....its all in the settings....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones