• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What am I missing? How to download a movie?

david4455

Jul 11, 2012
I feel a little dense here.

I have a new Nexus 7 tablet. ( I love it) It is my first tablet.

When I use the Netflix app or the Google Play store app for movies it appears I am streaming these movies live from the web.

I can't figure out how to download the movie to my device so that I can watch off network.

Help ...please?

In the play movies look for the settings button and click on "On Device" or "Make available offline" or something of the sort, then you can pin down the movies you want on the device. Keep in mind that rented movies will automatically get removed from your device storage once viewed or after 30 days. Purchased movies, I presume, will remain on the device until you clear the cache or unpin them. I haven't actually purchased any movies so I don't know.

Netflix is a stream-only service. I don't believe you can make content available offline.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure Netflix does not allow offline viewing which I think it is stupid because the Internet on the go is not very stable especially not nearly enough to support a stream of video. I would love to see a cash feature where you still have to use their client but the app would cash video off wifi and allow you to view it offline!

Netflix is cheap because it doesn't allow for the possibility of downloading content and keeps you coming back with the monthly fees...

Upvote 0
The word is 'cache' not 'cash'...although you'd probably need plenty of cash to download stuff this way - Netflix is cheap because it doesn't allow for the possibility of downloading content and keeps you coming back with the monthly fees...

Right on I am typing this from the train on my Nexus 7 and some of the words are not welcomed. Yes what I meant to say is to cache The video in the app. I would not think there would be much a problem since YouTube app can do that with your subscriptions. It will also be encrypted so you cannot simply get the video and put it on the hard drive of your computer and open the door for piracy. I don't know I just think we kind of develop nice things that are a little ahead of their time because the mobile Internet is simply not completely up to par just yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones