• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What Am I Missing re ClockworkMod??

Unicorn512

Jan 21, 2010
Idaho
Like several folks I am getting the OTA notification for FRG83D (I have another post asking about changes to the build.prop file to suppress the notification) but I saw that Peter Alfonso has a rooted version available so I thought "What the heck, let's go for it!"

I have Rom Manger and ClockworkMod so this is the process I followed

1.) Downloaded the ROM (used WIN7) FRG83ODEXED.zip from Pete
2.) Put the file anywhere on your sdcard. (in SD root and Renamed it to UPDATE.zip)
Launched Rom Manger and selected Install ROM from SD card
scrolled to UPDATE.zip and selected
Checked POPUP BOX for "Backup Existing ROM" and "Wipe Data and Cache"
pressed OK

get POPUP box saying "Reboot and Install - Press OK to reboot into ClockwordMod Recovery and continue the installation"
pressed OK

DROID powers off then on - Displays "M" screen briefly then a screen with triangle with an exclamation point inside and a little rectangular DROID under it.

That's where I am stuck. No keys seem to work. There are no instructions to follow.

I can pull the battery and reboot back to where I started.

I looked fo ClockwordMod help, but have not found anything useful so far.

Can someone point me in the right direction please???

It sounds as if you're having what is a fairly common Froyo problem: your recovery didn't flash properly. This typically can be cured by going into ROM Manager, selecting Flash Alternate Recovery, then flashing ClockworkMod Recovery again.

As an aside, the latest version of ClockworkMod (2.5.0.1) has caused error messages on occasion when I was flashing a new zip file. I've been using the 2.0.2.4 version of ClockworkMod for months now, with zero problems (that one is available under All ClockworkMod Recoveries at the bottom of the ROM Manager list).

Upvote 0
Looks like I needed to reflash ClockworkMod. Seems to be working now. I didn't think it would be needed because the Initial ROM Manager screen reported the correct and latest version!

I always change my WINDOZ defaults to show all extensions and not hide system files. I am too much old school for anything else.

THANK YOU!!

Upvote 0
I seem to be having a similar issue, when i try to flash a new recovery/return to previous versions i get an error saying "an error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!" and am not able to boot into recovery mode. Any suggestions?

Scratch that, had to run through SuperOneClick again then was able to switch to v2.0.2.4 ClockworkMod and install a new ROM

Upvote 0
reboot the phone.

Run ROM Manager
When it asks for superuser privileges, make sure always is ticked, then press OK

if you do not get a prompt to allow ROM manager privileges, then close ROM manager, then open the superuser app.

Scroll down to ROM manager, then you should get something that looks like this:

SuperUser Refresh 1.jpg

Press Forget. Close Superuser app (optionally, reboot)

Now, go to the top of this post and try again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones