• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What Android version for Samsung S8?

OK, this is not going well!!!! Downloaded the XEU firmware.

First of all, I selected the HOME_CSC file and this ran through in a matter of seconds, no errors and restarted phone. Unfortunately, it still showed v7.0!

Next I tried the other CSC file and this did the same as before with Odin stuck for 30 minutes. I've attached a screenshot.

Heeeeeeeeeeelp!

Attachments

• ODIN Screenshot.jpg
    ODIN Screenshot.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 0
What does this mean in terms of getting updated firmware installed....am I knackered?
Not at all. If it actually is unbranded rather than EE I'd regard that as a plus. All of my family's phones are unbranded, and it just means we don't have to wait for a carrier to get updates.

Anyway for manually updating it should just be a matter of finding the firmware that matches your full model number. But as I've never done this for a Samsung @Jfalls63 is much better placed to advise on that.

(Note: in the US it's different. "Unbranded" US Samsungs are the slowest to get updates: reportedly this is because they have their software approved by all of the major carriers before it is released. This is specific to Samsung in the US, so does not apply in your case).

Upvote 0
OK, this is not going well!!!! Downloaded the XEU firmware.

First of all, I selected the HOME_CSC file and this ran through in a matter of seconds, no errors and restarted phone. Unfortunately, it still showed v7.0!

Next I tried the other CSC file and this did the same as before with Odin stuck for 30 minutes. I've attached a screenshot.

Heeeeeeeeeeelp!
The first flash with CSC Home was completed with a Pass and still rebooted back into 7.0?
Don't know what to make of that.
Didn't see anything odd in Odin screenshot either.
Guess you could try the firmware for EE or unbranded BTU.
Only other thing I can think of is trying Smart Switch or taking it to a local shop and see if they can flash it

Upvote 0
The first flash with CSC Home was completed with a Pass and still rebooted back into 7.0?
Don't know what to make of that.
Didn't see anything odd in Odin screenshot either.
Guess you could try the firmware for EE or unbranded BTU.
Only other thing I can think of is trying Smart Switch or taking it to a local shop and see if they can flash it
Yo! Now we are cooking on gas!!!!!! :D

The answer was to get a later version of Odin (v3.13 rather than v3.12.3).

This did the trick, update ran through and now on Android 9.

Many thanks to everyone who responded and offered advice - much appreciated!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones