• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What AntiVirus do you use?

Apart from a year with MacAfee coz it came with my new machine, I've used AVG Free Edition for as long as I can remember.

You have to remember that no AV is 100% effective - in tests, the best only manage to spot around 60% of threats - so I back up AVG with an occassional scan using MalwareBytes free edition.

If I suspect there may be issues these aren't picking up, I'll also install other free AV packages and run a scan or two - favourite alternative is probably Avast!. After the scans, I remove the other packages - you definitely don't want more than one AV running at a time: there'd be no resource left for anything else :eek:

Upvote 0
I know of an antivirus you should NOT use....Qihoo 360...which comes from 360.cn...probably the most useless antivirus I've ever encountered, and most computers here seem to have it. In fact it actually comes with the standard install of Windows XP Professional Ghost Edition. :rolleyes: ...this thing is so crap it can't even detect Conficker on a USB thumb drive.

Beijing Qihoo 360 Technology Co.,Ltd. :thumbdown:

I use Linux Mint and Mac OS X exclusively these days.

Upvote 0
NOD32 (ESET) Online Armor FW, and SAS.
I've used NOD32 since either late W95 or early 98SE. Only AV I could find that didn't need that POS Internet Explorer. It used Winsock. I ran a 98SE shell that didn't even show IE.

Neither one is free, but there is a local security firm that is an ESET dealer, so I can get help on the phone or email instantly.

I use the Linux box for banking and buying, but have a few legacy programs that I like. I still use WP9 which won't run past XP, so it's on virtual XP on the laptop. All my old files are wpd. I've hated Word since DOS, and won't use it. I don't care for the open source programs either, they look too much like Word. WP used to have a Linux version but I can't find it. No other word processor did "reveal codes"

Upvote 0
I've tried several different a/v ... all good. But I've yet to find one with a log of actions. Frequently with different a/v's... i get them popup to say scanning new download, or scanning file...with no indication WHAT they were scanning. Don't ask which a/v ....ALL seem to lack this session log.
Galaxy Nexus btw

Upvote 0
An illustration of what I meant by using different AV: last night I downloaded some free s/w from CNet and it came with a stack of adware - so not exactly viruses but still a total PITA. AVG flagged 3 issues. Malwarebytes flagged 14.

That's not saying Malwarebytes is always going to be better, it just happens to be more focused on the sort of issue I came across last night so was better then.

Upvote 0
its funny i read through this, and see how many people use Avast and AVG , and guess no one knows that Avast, AVG and Norton all have common problems with "false positive" results on scans....

i use Panda Anti-Virus and have never been happier, i switched to them almost a Decade ago and have no issues since...

In the latest AV-Comparitives False Alarm test, Panda clocked twice as many false positives as Avast. (AVG and Symantec also scored fairly poorly, but Microsoft's Security Essentials handily won that round.) If you prefer Panda that's absolutely fine, I just wouldn't go around boasting that it's immune to false positives.

Does MS own Panda? I used it once years ago as it didn't need IE. Halfway through the subscription MS bought it, and I got a notice that I needed to install IE (running a shell that didn't have IE) I refused and they refunded the unused part of the subscription.

No, I don't believe so.

From Wikipedia:
The company, whose shares were previously 100% held by Urizarbarrena, announced on 24 April 2007 the sale of 75% of its shares to Southern European investment group Investindustrial and private equity firm Gala Capital.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones