• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What AOSP Rom wouod you recomend for stability and speed?

Deck's 1.3, with the only caveat being that if you use the beta4 of dt a2sd, then I would choose the stable a2sd script because the beta4 script doesn't play very nicely with 2.3.7 roms. Deck's is like a trimmed down version of CM7 that is built specificially for the Evo, so there is more useless stuff taken out of the rom than what you would find on a build from the CM dev team.

With that said, everything on deck's works. Just flash the GPS fix found here and your GPS will lock as good or better than it does on Sense
http://db.tt/WZuFXULj

Here is the link for deck's. I assume you already know to flash the gapps
Download gingerbread evo deck zip

Upvote 0
Deck's 1.3, with the only caveat being that if you use the beta4 of dt a2sd, then I would choose the stable a2sd script because the beta4 script doesn't play very nicely with 2.3.7 roms. Deck's is like a trimmed down version of CM7 that is built specificially for the Evo, so there is more useless stuff taken out of the rom than what you would find on a build from the CM dev team.

With that said, everything on deck's works. Just flash the GPS fix found here and your GPS will lock as good or better than it does on Sense

i was looking at that rom too...thought the camera didnt work...maybe a different rom..i'll check it out..thanks

Upvote 0

Does it get better battery life with the kernel it comes with or with a custom kernel? In your experience does it work better than CM7 (even tho it is CM7, lol)?

Upvote 0
i was looking at that rom too...thought the camera didnt work...maybe a different rom..i'll check it out..thanks

That's decks ICS build. Deck's Gingerbread build has everything working

so i just run the most recent gapps?

Yes

Does it get better battery life with the kernel it comes with or with a custom kernel? In your experience does it work better than CM7 (even tho it is CM7, lol)?

Probably, but with kernels you never know. I would just try whatever tickles your fancy, give it a few days, and then switch to something else if you like. But Tiamat SHOULD yield better battery life for you since it's an undervolted kernel. I use it almost exclusively on AOSP roms and it's great.

I just started playing with Decks and love it even the GPS worked with out the fix for me,

Good to hear, but if you ever have any issues, the GPS fix I posted above is dang near flawless....better than the stock GPS driver for the Evo. I always flash it. No weird fixes needed, it just plain works.

Upvote 0

Thanks MB. What kernel are you running with that?

Upvote 0
I've gotta second the vote for Decks 1.3. I'm running it with the Savaged Zen kernel and this thing just flies and gets amazing battery life.

I was using Tiamat 3.3.7 when I was running CM7. This thread reminds me that I need to flash it on Decks and see how it compares.

I've been waiting to try out his ICS build until he gets the camera working.

Upvote 0
How long has it been since you flashed it? Remember to give it about 3 days to fully settle in. Lots of people have good luck with Tiamat 4.0.6 or SavagedZen 2.2.1. SZ is sbc only though, there is a tool somewhere to flash and toggle sbc off, but I don't have a link.

Here is the SZ link though. I think there servers have been down for quite some time. It's not actively developed anymore either.

http://db.tt/ic3yJvE4

Upvote 0
I am newer to rooting. Please elaborate on

"Deck's 1.3, with the only caveat being that if you use the beta4 of dt a2sd, then I would choose the stable a2sd script because the beta4 script doesn't play very nicely with 2.3.7 roms"

I have my sd partitioned. Do I need to download anything else.

I would like to run decks so would the steps be.

System Wipe
Flash decks
Flash Gaps (are the gaps for all aosp roms the same, which is at the top of the roms down page under aosp???)
Flash GPS fix
Flash Tiamet
restart phone

THanks for any help!!!
???????

Upvote 0
yes and no.
so first i would:
1. make a nandroid backup
2.wipe at least dalvik cache, cache, and data (but system is good as well)
3.flash the vr superwipe
4.flash the rom
5.flash the gapps
6.reboot and sign in and get your rom setup
7.make a nandroid backup
8.wipe dalvik cache and cache
9.flash kernel
10.reboot and make sure everything is working
11.then if you need your gps fixed then flash the qualcomm driver1.1

since you are new i would recommend that you flashing things in small increments. there is less chance of things going wrong that way. also you can pin point any issues by doing it this way.

Upvote 0
I am newer to rooting. Please elaborate on

"Deck's 1.3, with the only caveat being that if you use the beta4 of dt a2sd, then I would choose the stable a2sd script because the beta4 script doesn't play very nicely with 2.3.7 roms"

I have my sd partitioned. Do I need to download anything else.

I would like to run decks so would the steps be.

System Wipe
Flash decks
Flash Gaps (are the gaps for all aosp roms the same, which is at the top of the roms down page under aosp???)
Flash GPS fix
Flash Tiamet
restart phone

THanks for any help!!!
???????
You're about right....two points.

1) on your flash procedure, wipe cache and dalvik cache as well. I would also wipe boot and system. But other than that you're spot on. I personally recommend Calkulin's format all zip file, but it does not zip sd-ext, which is your partition. But a factory reset/data wipe will wipe sd-ext, so as long as you do that, you will be fine. The gapps are basically the same for any aosp rom. However if you flash one of the ICS builds, they have their own gapps.

2) There are several versions of DarkTremor's a2sd script. The most recent stable script is the best one to flash with a 2.3.7 base rom. The beta4 is a newer version of the script, but there is an issue with running that script and a 2.3.7 rom. For some reason it causes dalvik crashes, so if you end up wiping dalvik for some reason, and then try rebooting, it will get stuck and you may need to pull the battery a couple times to get your phone to boot. Personally, I just use the stable version of the a2sd and it works just fine for me.

Hopefully that helps!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Get the Version 2.7.5.2-1 build for decks 1.3 and you'll be golden. Just flash it after you flash all the other stuff. Be patient, because it may take awhile for your phone too boot.

Then after everything boots. Go into terminal and type

su (then press enter)
a2sd reinstall (press enter again, should run some stuff and the reboot)

The script in theory should do all the work after you flash, but this will make sure it installs correctly. I always run it as a failsafe.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Also you reference ICS builds, how do you know if its a ICS build. I am use to sense roms like mikg that do not need darktremor a2sd, is there somwewhere I can find steps to what to do?
oops thanx mizzou forgot to mention a2sd.

as far as ics, you really need to read the op for the rom. before you flash a rom you need to read the changelog and see what is in the rom. in the op of the rom, there will usually be info or a link for the changelog as well as instructions on how to flash the rom.

Reactions: MizzouBrent
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones