1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What app creates an exact image of my phone?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Simpatinate, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Simpatinate

Simpatinate Lurker

I have the verizon samsung note 2. I want to create an exact image of the phone right now so that if something goes wrong as i learn about rooted apps and stuff i dont break it without a way to restore. Please advise.

Advertisement

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Flash a custom recovery (Clockwork Mod/CWM is the most famous) onto a rooted phone and its backup (nandroid) option lets you take a complete image of the phone and restore it if/when needed :thumbup:

3. Simpatinate

Simpatinate Lurker

Ive already rooted

4. funkylogik

Have u tried booting into recovery? Maybe the rooting process included a custom recovery :thumbup:

5. Simpatinate

Simpatinate Lurker

My root is fine. I am just concerned that I may break something while im learning things. So I just want to create an image of my phone and store it on my computer or somewhere so in the event shit hits the fan i can just install the image.

6. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert

The ADB backup utility I posted or a nandroid from CWM recovery would both suffice for your described purpose.

funkylogik likes this.
  7. Simpatinate

Simpatinate Lurker

awesome. thanks a lot!

8. Simpatinate

Simpatinate Lurker

ive installed it and now i am trying to download the rom to my computer useing the download server but it just sits in my chrome browser and does nothing

9. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

What arguments to "adb backup ..." would create the "exact image" that the OP requested, please?

Today I executed:

adb backup -f 20130801_rooted.ab -apk -obb -shared -all -system

but am not sure if that's an "exact image".

10. funkylogik

^^ tbh i know zero about code etc but as a laymen that looks like you only saved the /system partition.
    Easiest thing to do is boot into custom recovery and make a full nandroid backup.. takes maybe 10minutes to do and is worth every minute. Save it to Ext SD if you have one :thumbup:

11. Ssith

Ssith Android Enthusiast

i'm sorry, but your root is not "fine" if you don't even understand what you did.

the first post tells you what to do. the fifth post tells you how to do it. and you come back with "my root is fine"? that's honestly not even an appropriate response to the statement made.

go read about what you did to your phone. it will answer almost all your questions.

12. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

With the custom recovery you can make a backup. This backup will be a folder on your sd card, containing a set of images (one for each partition). Just copy that folder to your computer over usb. Look for a folder with a name that matches the recovery you are using and the backup folder will be inside that.

I don't know what download server you are using or what that has to do with your backup, so can't help with that.

13. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

This ^. Best option.