1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

what apps cause data useage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oaklane, Feb 3, 2011.

1. oaklane

oaklane Android Enthusiast

I know this may be a "stupid" question but Im going to ask it anyways. If I have my phone set to not do background syncing and the wireless is on, what during the day is using data? I don't have a weather app running? Assuming maybe when I send a text with or without a picture?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Demache

Demache Android Expert

Anything that uses the internet. So email, music, videos, websites, Google account syncing, etc. Whenever you see the 3G indicator arrows going, its using data. Calls, texts, and pictures messages do not count against it. Except if you use texting through Google Voice.

3. oaklane

oaklane Android Enthusiast

Ok that's what I thought but it seems to change while it's just sitting idle. I have the background sync off, mobile network off. Im trying to track my data useage with 3g watchdog since I lowered our data plan to 150 mb

4. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

You can also watch your usage by using the My Verizon app. That will tell you exactly what Verizon thinks you're using - which when it comes down to it is what really matters.

5. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

I believe that MMS messages are sent and received using mobile data, but I do not know if that bandwidth counts against your bandwidth messages. If you are using the mobile data widget to turn off data, or the setting in settings->wireless & networks, you shouldn't be consuming data with your phone. Perhaps I am wrong, but I know that when I disable WiFi and turn off mobile networking and try to use an app that consumes data, including the browser or gmail, it will give me an error message that it cannot access data at that time.

The My Verizon app and widget is useful, but remember that, like many apps, it also requires data itself to communicate your data usage, and I am not sure if Verizon and Android is sophisticated enough to give you that data for free. There is nothing in the app description in the market that suggests that it is free from data limits. Also, it's data count is not real-time, but I think shows as of midnight this morning.

I haven't used 3G watchdog myself, but I think you're smart to at least try it out.

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews