• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What are all the downsides to AutoNooter'd Nooks

I'm looking for an all-inclusive thread on what things do not work as expected once rooted using auto-nooter. I've read some things here and there at xda and other places, usually people ask about specific bugs/issues. Before I root, I want to know what all I might be losing. Some of the things I've read:

Lose access to "in store" features of nook color.

Random reboots

Are there more? Does the lend me feature still work? An authoritative list is what I'm hoping for. Can anyone point me to such a list?
Also I have done some searching:
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Issues

I guess what I haven't found is an all-inclusive list. I think if we create that list and "sticky" it, we would be providing a service to the nook color community.

gotta root the nook!
800mhz is not enough... oc'd to 1.1ghz and its sooo much smoother
plus running apps and games on the nook is sweet.

I still have all of the original functionality. the stock launcher is always available for easy access to all of the nook apps. remember rooting in itself does not change the stock rom, just adds apps and access to the system.

Upvote 0
Obviously I did not buy these primarily for the ereader...despite what I told my wife LOL

I don't know what "in store reading" is. Can you enlighten me?

I'm told that you can go to the store and read any book there for free for an hour a day.

To me, the NC sucks as an e-reader compared to the Kindle. It's $100 more, has poor battery life in comparison and the screen is glare prone. As a tablet, I'm very, very impressed with it.

Upvote 0
Never having used a Kindle, the NC is a darn good reader IMO. I was much more interested in the Nook versus Kindle for more sources and choices in books to download / purchase. The glare can easily be controlled by the angle you read at. I also tried one of those "anti glare" screen protectors, but the result was a dull boring screen. I replaced it same day with the glossy protector and have enjoyed both the reader and the photos I stored on my NC.

Upvote 0
Never having used a Kindle, the NC is a darn good reader IMO. I was much more interested in the Nook versus Kindle for more sources and choices in books to download / purchase. The glare can easily be controlled by the angle you read at. I also tried one of those "anti glare" screen protectors, but the result was a dull boring screen. I replaced it same day with the glossy protector and have enjoyed both the reader and the photos I stored on my NC.

I totally agree, and I am happy to get some of my favorite magazines, in color, on my NC as well!

Upvote 0

The Kindle kicks the NC's ass IMO as a reader. The battery life on the NC is measured in hours. I charge my Kindle about once a month and use it all the time. I've taken my Kindle on vacation before and not even bothered bringing the charger for it with me as I knew if I charged it completely ahead of time, I wouldn't need the charger at all. The screen never gets a glare on it and I email documents directly to the Kindle at no charge. Magazines are so much more expensive in digital form for some reason so that's not a factor for me at all.

Upvote 0
The Kindle kicks the NC's ass IMO as a reader. The battery life on the NC is measured in hours. I charge my Kindle about once a month and use it all the time. I've taken my Kindle on vacation before and not even bothered bringing the charger for it with me as I knew if I charged it completely ahead of time, I wouldn't need the charger at all. The screen never gets a glare on it and I email documents directly to the Kindle at no charge. Magazines are so much more expensive in digital form for some reason so that's not a factor for me at all.

Kindle vs NC isn't even comparable. 2 totally different devices. Battery life isn't the NC's selling point. you wanna compare ereaders that's fine...but the original nook and the kindle are the devices to compare against each other.

Neither one of those devices has a good web browser...kinda unfair statement to make in favor of the NC huh?

Upvote 0
Kindle vs NC isn't even comparable. 2 totally different devices. Battery life isn't the NC's selling point. you wanna compare ereaders that's fine...but the original nook and the kindle are the devices to compare against each other.

I have to disagree with you. If you go into a BN they will tell you that the NC is better than the Kindle because the screen is bigger, color, etc.......... It's certainly marketed as a Kindle competitor.

I can see where you're coming from that the two devices are different as the Kindle can't do anything tabletty and isn't designed to. The NC is still positioned in the market as a Kindle competitor though.

Upvote 0
I have to disagree with you. If you go into a BN they will tell you that the NC is better than the Kindle because the screen is bigger, color, etc.......... It's certainly marketed as a Kindle competitor.

I can see where you're coming from that the two devices are different as the Kindle can't do anything tabletty and isn't designed to. The NC is still positioned in the market as a Kindle competitor though.

I think you missed my point. The NOOKcolor (NC) is one of two "e-readers" that Barnes and Noble sells. The original Nook has a e-ink display just like the kindle. The original nook has a small color display at the bottom instead of the keyboard that the kindle sports. Now, the kindle still wins the battery life contest here by a decent margin but the original nook gets much better battery life than the NC.

The NC has a TFT LCD backlit display (different from the original nook and the kindle). It's the only one that you could read in the dark without some sort of reading light. Don't get me wrong, the NC has its downsides like not being a great e-reader in direct sunlight, poor battery life (in comparison) but it's a different type of e-reader. It's designed to do all of the things that you can't...or wouldn't want to do with the original NC or kindle. Will the kindle release a color version? Yes. Why?...because they don't have anything to compete with the NC.

Comparing the NC to the kindle is ALMOST like comparing the iPad to the kindle. Kindle wins in battery life right? Yeah sure...but how many things can the iPad do that the kindle can't.

I broke down and autonootered it. I've yet to try in store, and i'll probably almost never read on this thing again.

Yeah, I think that is a feature for people who are retired. 1 hour a day...sit in B&N and read a book...yeah I think I could squeeze that in to my schedule LOL. I bet most people would rather spend $10 and buy the book so they can read it where they REALLY want to...their bathroom! :D

Reactions: ponyxpress2002
Upvote 0
I think you missed my point. The NOOKcolor (NC) is one of two "e-readers" that Barnes and Noble sells. The original Nook has a e-ink display just like the kindle. The original nook has a small color display at the bottom instead of the keyboard that the kindle sports. Now, the kindle still wins the battery life contest here by a decent margin but the original nook gets much better battery life than the NC.

The NC has a TFT LCD backlit display (different from the original nook and the kindle). It's the only one that you could read in the dark without some sort of reading light. Don't get me wrong, the NC has its downsides like not being a great e-reader in direct sunlight, poor battery life (in comparison) but it's a different type of e-reader. It's designed to do all of the things that you can't...or wouldn't want to do with the original NC or kindle. Will the kindle release a color version? Yes. Why?...because they don't have anything to compete with the NC.

Comparing the NC to the kindle is ALMOST like comparing the iPad to the kindle. Kindle wins in battery life right? Yeah sure...but how many things can the iPad do that the kindle can't.

I know what you're saying and I agree with you to a certain extent. I just don't think that's how BN sees it especially now that they're phasing out at least some of their e-ink Nooks.

Anyway, I don't see update coming to the Kindle until we see color e-ink screens more widely available. They're still the 500 lb gorilla in the e-reader market and the Kindle 3 is selling like hotcakes. I don't think they're interested in offering any of the features the NC offers. I could see a color e-ink Kindle coming because that would keep the advantage in battery life while still offering color magazines and newspapers, but wouldn't venture near the tablet market.

Upvote 0
I know what you're saying and I agree with you to a certain extent. I just don't think that's how BN sees it especially now that they're phasing out at least some of their e-ink Nooks.

Anyway, I don't see update coming to the Kindle until we see color e-ink screens more widely available. They're still the 500 lb gorilla in the e-reader market and the Kindle 3 is selling like hotcakes. I don't think they're interested in offering any of the features the NC offers. I could see a color e-ink Kindle coming because that would keep the advantage in battery life while still offering color magazines and newspapers, but wouldn't venture near the tablet market.

I hope you know I'm not disagreeing with you to be disagreeable :)

I'm just saying that if someone asked me what e-reader they should get, I wouldn't say "Your choices are the kindle or the NC." And if they asked what the differences are between the kindle vs. nook the list would be MUCH smaller than the list of differences between the kindle/nook vs. the NC.

...only one is cool enough to run Android though :D

Upvote 0
I know what you're saying and I agree with you that in technical aspects the Nook wifi and the Kindle are competitors. In the market place though I think it's the NC vs the Kindle. I had someone ask me a few weeks ago what e-reader they should get and they mentioned the NC or the Kindle. Those were the two options they were thinking of. This is a person who is not tech literate at all. They wanted just a dedicated e-reader and in their mind there were only two options as this is how BN has positioned the NC in the marketplace. In this scenario, I think the Kindle is better. I have no idea if that makes any sense at all.

Upvote 0
What in the hell does the kindle have to do with rooting the Nook? SMH. Obviously, if you were to get an ereader just to read books you would get the kindle or the ink nook. Not everybody is a reeree. The nook ink sells very well as does the nook color. Of course B&N is advertising the crap out of the color because it has no competition. Easier to sell. Think of how many of those they have sold to dorks like me that must root.

Upvote 0
What in the hell does the kindle have to do with rooting the Nook? SMH. Obviously, if you were to get an ereader just to read books you would get the kindle or the ink nook. Not everybody is a reeree. The nook ink sells very well as does the nook color. Of course B&N is advertising the crap out of the color because it has no competition. Easier to sell. Think of how many of those they have sold to dorks like me that must root.

Don't forget more expensive ;)

But to get back on track...if the biggest downside to rooting is that you can't read free books inside the store...bring on the root! I know retired people that don't have an hour a day to sit at B&N (cause you need time and money to drive there and back...gas ain't cheap ya know). Driving to B&N to read a free book only works out financially if you can read it in the first hour or two IMO.

Upvote 0
I'm on rooted NC 1.1 and can confirm it restores in-store reading to rooted nook colors.

Any disadvantage to rooting is now completely abolished. You lose nothing, gain everything.

Tangentially, theres really no point in discussing the Kindle in relation to the Color. I really wonder why this A.Nonymous chap insists on hanging around just to snipe against the NC. Could be wrong but from what I gather he doesn't own one, isn't going to own one, and is basically trolling. Time for him to pipe down.

Reactions: ponyxpress2002
Upvote 0
Tangentially, theres really no point in discussing the Kindle in relation to the Color. I really wonder why this A.Nonymous chap insists on hanging around just to snipe against the NC. Could be wrong but from what I gather he doesn't own one, isn't going to own one, and is basically trolling. Time for him to pipe down.

You're right. I don't own one and never will.

IMAG0037.jpg

I'm making the point that BN and the average schmuck on the street do see the NC as a competitor with the Kindle. It's a valid discussion because that's how the average schmuck sees the competition.

Upvote 0
I'm on rooted NC 1.1 and can confirm it restores in-store reading to rooted nook colors.

Any disadvantage to rooting is now completely abolished. You lose nothing, gain everything.

Good to know about the features still working on the NC once rooted, thanks for the info!

I don't think A.Nonymous meant any harm and he's not trolling the thread. This whole conversation got started because A.Nonymous made the observation that the NC had much worse battery life than the kindle. His statement is 100% true, but the debate was simply over whether or not that was a fair comparison based on the differences between the devices and how they are being marketed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones