• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are some apps for the moto droid that are WORTH paying for?

soulesschild

Dec 1, 2009
I haven't paid for any apps yet though I have bought smartphone apps in the past, plenty actually (former Crackberry user:D). The thing that I love about the Android platform is that there's so many choices for anything you can think of in terms of everyday use and the free versions are actually good and well maintained.

With that all said and done, what are some apps for the Motorola Droid that you feel are worth my money? So far I've considered a few...

1. Beautiful Widgets (Love the clock look + it has weather which I like and toggle buttons for wi-fi/gps/etc)
2. Abduction (free version is fantastic so just to support the developer I'm considering getting the paid version)
3. GDE/Dxtop, haven't decided which I want, but I will be trying them out individually before I decide on a purchase, the moto droid forum seems pretty split on which is better/more stable.

Your guys's thoughts?

hey iv bought a couple things so far.. im kinda a spender myself too. so far iv bought gde, dxt, open home, and other stuff. anyway iv tried these alternative home apps and so far open home is the best, but the others are good but not wat i was looking for. open home is pretty good. cant wait for sweeter home to come out of beta, now that has alot of potential. but its very unstable right now in its beta stages. anyway you have 24 hours to test out the purchased apps and if u dont like it u can uninstall it and get a full refund right from the market place. anyway happy hunting.

Upvote 0
My paid apps:
AutoLock: I have to have a locked phone for security purposes for corporate email. AutoLock allows me to set how often I have to re-enter my symbol when using the phone repetitively.
MotoTorchLED: love that a "local" developed a way to use the LED flash as a flashlight as quickly as he did. The free version works, but I like to support the community.
RoboDefense: recently discovered tower defense games and agree with the earlier poster that this stuff is like an addictive drug.
Abduction! World Attack: another addicting game with a clean interface. Played the free version and it left me wanting more.

One thing I love about Android is that I can buy an app and return it for a full refund within 24 hours if I don't like it. I paid $2.99 for Space Physics a couple days ago, and played it non-stop for a few hours until I hit a level that I just could not solve. I decided to return it in the 23rd hour. I'm sure iPhone users would LOVE to have that option!

Upvote 0
DroidLight is free.

I have bought and lik the SpacePhysics game. I also use Avilution QuickWeather, a terrific aviation weather app.

Droid light didn't exist when I bought LED Flash Light. It came out a couple days before any of the droid lights did. The developer hacked it up over a weekend, so I thought it was worth it.

Upvote 0
Apps that I have purchased that have been "worth it":

Beautiful Widgets - for the Beautiful Home clock/weather widget, love it!

Album Art Grabber - fills in any missing album art on your Droid. Don't use it often, but when I do I'm really happy to have it.

Documents to Go Full - Read/Write office docs (picked it up on sale for $9, wouldn't pay any more for it than that)

ToMarket - Grocery list utility - allows import/export of CSV file to manage your overall item list and categories, etc.

GDE home screen replacement - My favorite. Might replace at some point with Sweeter Home if that one gets where it is promising to go.

Car Finder Full - Nice simple app to mark your spot and then return to it later...very simple/easy to use, and kind of fun.

Upvote 0
Droid light didn't exist when I bought LED Flash Light. It came out a couple days before any of the droid lights did. The developer hacked it up over a weekend, so I thought it was worth it.

The thread is called "...apps that are worth paying for." I understand why you may have paid for it, but that doesn't mean it's an app that is still worth paying for.

Upvote 0
The thread is called "...apps that are worth paying for." I understand why you may have paid for it, but that doesn't mean it's an app that is still worth paying for.

So you're saying we shouldn't help out the application developers? How would you feel if you create an app, then the next day someone else makes a copy and gives it out for free? It was only a buck. So I think it's worth it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones